Driving abroad

fifthwheel

Hi all, I have just passed my mod2 test and would like some advice about driving in France and Spain.

The examiner kept my licence and told me the new one would be about three weeks coming back.

He did ask me by the way if I wanted him to send it off but a little holiday opportunity has come up

and means I will have to leave without the licence.

I do have my old one it expired last year, I could take that with a prepared note explaining what has happened

in French and Spanish of course.

I have looked online but cant find anything related to this at all. Thanks john.

I've never been stopped when riding abroad, including France. My understanding is that you need to have a full, valid licence, registration document, passport and insurance certificate. Depending on where you ride, Paris springs to mind, you will also need something called Crit'air Vignettes sticker displayed on your bike, its all about emissions and denotes when you can legally ride in some cities, you can apply for one here: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande don't get caught out with this one, if you get pulled you will get fined if you haven't got one or you ride in certain areas outside of the designated times, as far as the French Police go ignorance is not an acceptable excuse. The sticker by the way has to go on the front fork, I stuck mine on the screen and was advised to move it to the correct position. It all sounds like a bit of a nightmare when you ride abroad but I've personally never had an issue, follow the rules and you'll be fine, above all enjoy it! :thumb:

I don't know - so I'm talking out my backside - but my guess is that the gamble you're taking is that you don't get involved in an accident. If you do, and the police attend, you are probably toast if you can't produce a licence. Or at least, you're in a spot that's going to take more than just a bit of smooth talking to get yourself out. But the chances are that there's no accident, no need to show licence and you come home happy.

You need your licence in your possession! Going without it would be very risky indeed.

What do you think would happen if a foreigner driving in Britain got their collar felt by plod and couldn't produce and couldn't speak English?

Little spell at the station I'd say.

i would put the trip on hold till you got your licence back and then i wouldn't drive abroad anyway they all drive on the wrong side of the road that lot that's why they have so many accidents (according to crocodile dundee) :lol:

Better than nothing I suppose but I have gone onto the Gov check licence page and printed my full licence.

I have a code the Police could use to give them access to all my licence details online, the same way a driving agency

would check. I have emailed myself a copy as well so I can show it on my phone.

I have driven in France and Spain since the early eighties and have never had to produce my licence

I must have just been lucky, I know it doesn't make this trip right but will see how we go. john

You need your licence in your possession! Going without it would be very risky indeed.

What do you think would happen if a foreigner driving in Britain got their collar felt by plod and couldn't produce and couldn't speak English?

And in France you will have the bike impounded until they actually physically see your valid full licence for that class of vehicle. A friend found this out very recently due to a minor speeding incident. Luckily he had only left his documents in his accommodation, but he was still fined for not carrying all originals of them (v5, insurance certificate, & full driving licence for that vehicle).

It’s your choice but potentially a very inconvenient & expensive experience for the sake of a short wait

I rarely drive in France but the last time I did so and was pulled over by the police I was waved on due to some extremely ripe Munster cheese I had stockpiled up with. Even the French police couldn't stand the smell.

However, this tactic will not work on a bike.

And in France you will have the bike impounded until they actually physically see your valid full licence for that class of vehicle. A friend found this out very recently due to a minor speeding incident. Luckily he had only left his documents in his accommodation, but he was still fined for not carrying all originals of them (v5, insurance certificate, & full driving licence for that vehicle).

It’s your choice but potentially a very inconvenient & expensive experience for the sake of a short wait

And in Spain you'll get some of this........

8bc.jpg.5d505bceb29a27f59c9b4d9cb90e9426.jpg

If you get the ferry to Spain you don't need your UK license - you can get from your nearest post office IDP - International driving permit.

This is the driving license needed after 31 Oct when UK is 3rd country and not in the EU. You can get one a use it now too instead of your UK driving license too:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits#get-an-idp

Unfortunately the French law is different - they require drivers to get IDP and the home country driving permit. Means you need your UK driving license for France anyway.

Driving with expired UK license in France is risky. The worst that can happen if French to confiscate your bike.

But you need to produce your full valid UK licence at the post office to obtain a IDP - which I think he is saying he does not have yet ?

Also I think you will find that you need the full licence with the IDP, which is only an approved translation of your licence and not a licence on its own.

Check the below website- FAQ “Can I drive in my destination country with just an IDP ?”

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit

Over the last 5 years I've driven our van 30,000 miles through Europe and never had to produce my licence, just passport once for a parking offence.

Having said that if I were you I'd wait for my license back, it probably won't take as long as they said anyway.

Watch your speed in France, they don't have 50kph signs at village entrances, just the village name.

Not sure but on my IDP said it’s valid only with regular driving licence but my idp is issued in Croatia

I wouldn’t take a risk, but in last 20 years I wasn’t stoped by anyone and asked driving licence.

Anyway I wouldn’t take a risk

Thanks all for the posts, great news the new licence came in today's post.

I passed mod 2 on the 2nd of September so that was quick service from DVLA (today is the 12th)

Thanks john.

Congratulations, best book the ferry or tunnel, and get on the bike then - good weather forecast for France next week 🌞

Thanks all for the posts, great news the new licence came in today's post.

I passed mod 2 on the 2nd of September so that was quick service from DVLA (today is the 12th)

Thanks john.

Congratulations, best book the ferry or tunnel, and get on the bike then - good weather forecast for France next week 🌞

Ferry booked for Sunday afternoon 15th its a car trip this time, hopefully with my bike next time!!!!