Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Rear Brake

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
Ian Frog
Bike(s): ZRX1200R, 2003 Supercharged Busa, 2005 Busa
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Rear Brake

Post by Ian Frog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:21 pm

You may like to note that one of the finest road racers of all time Joey Dunlop never used the rear brake at all.
After all if you are braking on a bike in anything other than a straight line things are going to get "interesting".
My ZRX bought new in 2004 still has original rear pads and my 2003 Busa I have never looked at the rear pads.
I know all the 75% 25% arguments but 40 years and never being off two wheels I am happy with Joey`s choice.
Cheers
Ian

Ian Frog
Bike(s): ZRX1200R, 2003 Supercharged Busa, 2005 Busa
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Ian Frog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:26 pm

One of the finest road racers of all tome (Joey Dunlop) never used the rear brake.
After all if you are braking on a two wheeler in anything other then a straight line things could get interesting.
On my ZRX bought new in 2004 I still have the original rear pads and in my 2003 Busa I have never looked at the rear pads.
I am aware of all the 75% 25% arguments but prior planning matters more.
Cheers
Ian

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 2981 times
Been liked: 2701 times

Post by fastbob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 am

And that's telling you ! TWICE ! 😄

hawkeyefxr
Bike(s): Harley Superglide
Been liked: 15 times

Post by hawkeyefxr » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 am

Loads of helpful stuff on this post but basically it some down to learning. Joey Dunlop may well have used just the front brake but he also had a racing bike! Strong brakes and very soft tyres + years of experience.
If you use just the front brake things can go wrong instantly and thats when you crap your pants and start using both brakes. Use both brake now, go somewhere safe and practice hard stops.
I have to say i have never ridden a bike with ABS but in wet and slippery condition i can imagine it would be hairy.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 am

I've barely touched the back brake on the Harley in 5,000 miles . Ok so it's got twin front disks but that's another myth busted as far as I'm concerned .

James in Brum
Bike(s): ZZR600D
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by James in Brum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Caveat up front: I am a newbie, about 8000 miles in total over 18 months and 6 of that was on my 125.
I use both brakes but not for every application. If I am stopping from speed it is mostly front brake. If I am slowing a little I might use back brake to join in with engine braking. With forward planning lots of braking is reducible and avoidable and when not the power of the front brake is unnecessary. I like to add a little brake light when I am slowing down to stop the muppets up my bum from running in to me, a little touch of back is great for that.
Yammienoob on YouTube and I think Ryan fortnine both suggest learning to use both independently and together. Yammienoob suggests trying some trips just one and some just the other.
I struggle to see why it is a good thing to avoid using some of the bike controls to control the bike. My instructor recently described low speeds good to use back and higher speeds good to use more front.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm

James in Brum wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:35 pm
Caveat up front: I am a newbie, about 8000 miles in total over 18 months and 6 of that was on my 125.
I use both brakes but not for every application. If I am stopping from speed it is mostly front brake. If I am slowing a little I might use back brake to join in with engine braking. With forward planning lots of braking is reducible and avoidable and when not the power of the front brake is unnecessary. I like to add a little brake light when I am slowing down to stop the muppets up my bum from running in to me, a little touch of back is great for that.
Yammienoob on YouTube and I think Ryan fortnine both suggest learning to use both independently and together. Yammienoob suggests trying some trips just one and some just the other.
I struggle to see why it is a good thing to avoid using some of the bike controls to control the bike. My instructor recently described low speeds good to use back and higher speeds good to use more front.
But your Lexmoto Falcon has a linked braking system James .

James in Brum
Bike(s): ZZR600D
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by James in Brum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm

That is a very valid point. The couple of thousand miles on my zzr and nc750s have all followed the same trend.

Mclovin147
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mclovin147 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Hey guys, good to see my threads still gathering knowledge lol

I went out of my way to use the front brake more after posting this and now that feels natural, I have a good feel for it now.

Been on longer runs on national speed limits roads etc and now I almost exclusively use the front brake at any respectable speed, back brake for slow movements, basically anything 15+ mph I use the front brake now, or when turning if I HAVE to brake (like a roundabout where we stop etc) I will give the back brake a gradual push.

Pretty sure in my CBT that’s what the instructors taught us, slow speed = back brake, high speed = Front brake, Emergency brake = both

Return to “Motorbike Chat”