Clothing advise please

Desmond.22

Hi guys.

Passed CBT decided bike over scooter and just looking into clothes.

To be honest ill be a fair weather rider only prob March- sept guy 30 min commute each way if dry when setting out. And play at weekends. Only learning still too.

What type or brands should i be looking at. Second hand stuff ok ?

Dont want get fleeced by a shop going in with no knowledge so any tips hints be real useful to me.

I know from cbt to get full face helmet but brands and what to look for i know not. Leather or textile

Leather offers better slide resistance but isn't waterproof whereas textiles are so it's a matter of preference really. Plenty of brands - depends on your budget-have a look here at some Rst stuff which is relatively inexpensive. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319526

Second hand clothing is fine but for helmets personally I wouldn't do it as they could have been dropped. Hjc make some good entry level ones - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/797/(1;product_price;ASC;0-0;m00-78;4)/page_0/max_20

Sharp crash ratings are quite important - look for 5 star ideally (I think the is17 I had is rated like that) https://sharp.dft.gov.uk

That site has fair pricing, but you can go try gear on in a local shop and if they're more expensive than this show them the page and give them a chance to price match or get closer. If you're buying leathers it needs to be tiiight! Like, really tight as it'll stretch.

There are also kevlar jeans if you prefer a more casual look, and boots too.

From my own personal experience when i was getting kitted out, i went to J&S and the staff were extremely knowledgeable and helpful, i would definately opt for a new helmet, but no harm in trying on the clothing to see what fits and how comfortable you feel, also sizes vary between manufacturers which will also help if buying second hand as you will know which are a bit more generous in the fit, but go to a shop and try them out and there is no pressure to buy, i was in and out several times trying on stuff before i bought :thumb:

Totally agree with the above. I've had new clothing and I've second hand, leathers and textiles. All are fine. When it is damper I tend to wear textiles for better protection from the elements but leather during hot sunny days. You can get a nice wax to treat your leathers (Duckwax) and make them waterproof but then I find that they are too hot on sunny days. I always treat my boots though! Hate wet feet!

As for helmets, 100% agree get new. don't risk second hand. I have always used LS2. A friend once told me that generally the more you spend on gear, the better quality or protection you get. This is not the case with helmets according to this mate. According to matey, £200ish and over is for show! Don't know if he is right but I have never got near that!

What ever you go for, enjoy.

Second hand is definitely an option but it's only really worth it if you buy high end gear at low end prices . If you decide to buy second hand waterproof textile gear in nearly new condition , make sure it isn't really old because waterproof membranes can perish quite quickly Beware of J&S , they have bought the Frank Thomas name but the stuff is thrown together in Pakistan . I've got an all seasons type jacket from FT and what baffles me is that the removable waterproof lining is INSIDE the jacket . So when it rains , I stay dry but I end up lugging around a soaking wet jacket. The trick is to build up a selection of leather and textile garments so that you can mix and match according to the weather forecast .

I've bought new and second hand. My first point of looking is always second hand on fleabay, if I cant find what I want there then I look for new. Like the others say, I wouldn't buy a second hand helmet though, just in case it had ever been dropped.

I've got leathers and textiles, If I could only have one I'd probably choose textiles because they are more versatile. Choose some that are multi season, removable liners that sort of thing. And get the best you can afford, you really do get what you pay for.

Yeah, I would suggest trying on the items you want to buy and then checking on eBay/Gumtree to see if you can find it cheaper, there is always deals on both depending on what you are in the market for. I've brought most my body armours that way. :)

Which is the main reason I hated working in a motorcycle clothing store ! I got sick to death of w**kers spending all day trying everything on and asking questions then f*****g off to buy the same stuff online. And those who actually did release their death grip on their wallets always wanted discount or freebies . WTF ? Try that in Sainsbury's and see what you get . If I had a pound for every time some idiot asked " What's your cheapest helmet ? " I'd have had a nice little bonus . If you can't afford half decent gear , don't get a motorcycle . Oh yeah , while I remember , there were some unspeakable nobs who used to buy a full race outfit on a Friday and then try to bring it all back again for a refund on Monday . Don't like the wind noise , boots hurt my feet , jacket is too loose / tight , I've heard it all . The best one was when they got buyers remorse about Sidi boots and complained that they creaked . One squirt of WD40 soon fixed that . Rant over.

Whatever you do, try stuff on before you buy. Bike gear is very badly sized. IME I have tried on jeans that were supposedly the same size and one fitted better than the other. For that reason I would suggest as big a retailer as possible, such as J&S.