Bloody weather

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So I know its getting to the horrible time of the year when the nights draw in and the weather gets abit shite but why is it so bloody slippery, 4 times tonight coming off roundabouts and once in a straight line the rear tyre just starts spinning up, and I know what you are all thinking I must have wound it on but I really didn't I was actually trying to prevent it from doing that by being gradual and careful with throttle inputs...

My question is how many of us has had this problem

Ah yes, its all getting a bit 'Bon Jovi' out there (Slippery when wet) :mrgreen:

Shiny smooth surfaces are not our friend, I pass several large farms, and the sh1te the farm vehicles & tractors leave on the road is deadly slippery. I also hate the large roundabouts on my commute, just off the motorway, there's often diesel on the road, along with the fatal when wet white lines and don't forget the manhole covers. Don't know why I bother :D (I don't mind riding in the rain really)

Guest Richzx6r

I too dont mind the wet but wet combined with diesel, white lines and manhole covers I don't particularly enjoy.

Another thing that gets my goat is why the morons in the crowd planning offices choose to put poxy manhole covers right on the line the average motorcyclist wants to take

Guest Richzx6r

This is true Marino but it has been abit wet on n off up in the northeast over the last month or so but it just seemed like it was alot more slippery than normal

I'm with you Richzx6r...

Dropped my bike on my way home yesterday due to weather.

Although it was mostly my fault - intermittent misfire cos of wet electrics I was nursing it to a garage to get it dried out, in traffic as opposed to filtering, I had a slide on a sloppy patch at about 10-15 mph. Ended up bumping into a van at walking pace, bike went over and I got dumped unceremoniously in the gutter.

Van was undamaged, bike just a few run marks, I'm a bit sore today - pulled a few muscles. Van drivers in front and behind were Fab - both came running up worrying that I was hurt.

11 mile commute turned into a 2 hour slog though with multiple coffee/fag stops trying to get electrics dry

I too dont mind the wet but wet combined with diesel, white lines and manhole covers I don't particularly enjoy.

Another thing that gets my goat is why the morons in the crowd planning offices choose to put poxy manhole covers right on the line the average motorcyclist wants to take

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this, travelling from Ramsey yesterday, down the coast road, I counted three man hole covers placed right on the apex of bends, just ripe for catching the unsuspecting motorcyclist! You'd think they'd know better considering the amount of bikers we get here each year....

Guest Richzx6r

I too wrenched my shoulder slightly trying not to get high sided as the rear spun up coming off a roundabout and then it started shaking its head...safe to say it wasn't the most pleasant experience of my biking career

It's the same every autumn when the weather turns and leaves are falling. It's even worse in rural areas. I had a big moment yesterday when the front end let go in a bend even though I was taking it very slowly.

Coming back last night down wet rural lanes was like riding on grease. The bike was skittering all over the place. It was past 10.00pm before I finished so the roads were pitch black and spotting leaves or mud gets pretty tricky.

It will be like this until all the leaves have gone so for the couple of months take it easy. Then we get to the icy times....

Yeh time to be extra vigilant. Lovely summer country roads around here become a right challenge this time of year and when they are wet. As the above ... fallen leaves, tractor shite, horse shite, manhole covers, white lines, even road kill, all becomes extra shitty when wet! The 'slipperiest' (I had to look twice when spellcheck gave me that!) at the moment around here is the middle of narrow newly tarmacked roads/lanes. Car wheels flatten where their wheels make contact and all the loose shite and stones gather in the middle. That's really tricky when cornering!

I get very very jealous of riders in warm countries I watch say you tube vids and you see them in bright blue skys sun shining. And I look out side and its pi$$ing down . God if I lived there where the sun shines all the time I'd never be off my bike .same when its dry and we go out the amount of warm clothes we have to put on as well some times takes the fun away as your all puffed out like the Michelin man I want to move to a warm county ..

Count me in for a move to a warm dry climate. Living in the north west I should be used to it raining but it still depresses me particularly when London seems to be permanently in the 20s and dry.

Its definitely slippy out there but it's not leaves. Not where I am noticing it. I think it must be dampness and lower temperature making tyres less grippy

So I know its getting to the horrible time of the year when the nights draw in and the weather gets abit shite but why is it so bloody slippery, 4 times tonight coming off roundabouts and once in a straight line the rear tyre just starts spinning up, and I know what you are all thinking I must have wound it on but I really didn't I was actually trying to prevent it from doing that by being gradual and careful with throttle inputs...

My question is how many of us has had this problem

Yep, have noticed in the last couple weeks that the roads round here are greasier than usual for the time of year. It has nowt to do with leaves as there aren't any fallen yet. No mud or dead things on the road either. I reckon it is as Marino says, build up of dirt over a dry spell then not enough rain to wash away adequately. Where I live seems to have a high amount of atmospheric dust. It settles on everything. So, that and a little water = slippy roads. A mate from work came off the other day doing under 10mph on a slight corner due to a slippy surface. He was going slow enough to not get injured. hoping that the coming rain will give the roads a good wash down.