lexmoto or yamaha ?

superfish

Hi guys

Im looking for a nice little 125 commuter to get back into biking I've been away 16years or so and the laws in the UK mean I have to start from scratch so I had planned on doing the cbt for now and running L plates until I can afford the big bike I want (Yamaha mt07 tracer) but for now I'm torn between a Yamaha mt125 2015plate for around 2grand or a brand new lexmoto viper for $1899 with 2 years warranty 1 years roadside assistance and some free gear helmet gloves ect, I know you cant go too wrong with jap and the lexmoto is Chinese but I hear its based on a 40 odd year old very reliable engine, so do I get new Chinese or 5years old jap ? further to this im 6 foot 2 and 17stone hence getting the tracer when I can afford it, so does anyone have experience on either the Yamaha or lexmoto bikes and are they suitable for taller riders ?, I get the top end wont be much more than 60mph given my size but it will mainly be used for city commuting I currently drive a honda crv to work and back and its just a waste not to mention sitting in traffic, anyways any help would be much appreciated

Buy the Yamaha.

I bought a new Lexmoto Falcon 16 months ago. I loved it. Love it. It cost me about 300 to have the head race bearings done after 5k. But otherwise has been entirely reliable and I have not had any issues but I have lost a lot of money on it. In fact you can buy it if you like :-) save yourself a load of money.

Problem with the lexmoto ones is they lose their value so dramatically. A second hand Yamaha will be worth not lots less than you pay for it.

Buy the Yamaha.

I bought a new Lexmoto Falcon 16 months ago. I loved it. Love it. It cost me about 300 to have the head race bearings done after 5k. But otherwise has been entirely reliable and I have not had any issues but I have lost a lot of money on it. In fact you can buy it if you like :-) save yourself a load of money.

Problem with the lexmoto ones is they lose their value so dramatically. A second hand Yamaha will be worth not lots less than you pay for it.

I'd have done it for £100

Hi guys

Im looking for a nice little 125 commuter to get back into biking I've been away 16years or so and the laws in the UK mean I have to start from scratch so I had planned on doing the cbt for now and running L plates until I can afford the big bike I want (Yamaha mt07 tracer) but for now I'm torn between a Yamaha mt125 2015plate for around 2grand or a brand new lexmoto viper for $1899 with 2 years warranty 1 years roadside assistance and some free gear helmet gloves ect, I know you cant go too wrong with jap and the lexmoto is Chinese but I hear its based on a 40 odd year old very reliable engine, so do I get new Chinese or 5years old jap ? further to this im 6 foot 2 and 17stone hence getting the tracer when I can afford it, so does anyone have experience on either the Yamaha or lexmoto bikes and are they suitable for taller riders ?, I get the top end wont be much more than 60mph given my size but it will mainly be used for city commuting I currently drive a honda crv to work and back and its just a waste not to mention sitting in traffic, anyways any help would be much appreciated

Ive just passed my test so my Yam YBR 125 is for sale, 2012 in red 11000 miles nice bike £885. Pontefract Yorks.

As I may have mentioned once or twice previously , YBR's are made in China by a factory that also makes something very similar at about two thirds of the price .

As I may have mentioned once or twice previously , YBR's are made in China by a factory that also makes something very similar at about two thirds of the price .

It's not the factory it's made in, it's the quality control of the manufacturer that sells it. Loads of good stuff made in china (iPhones etc), loads of crap too though.

It's not the factory it's made in, it's the quality control of the manufacturer that sells it. Loads of good stuff made in china (iPhones etc), loads of crap too though.

I quite agree . What intrigues me is the whether the manufacturer lowers the standard of quality control on the non Yamaha badged bikes or raises the quality control on the Yamaha badged ones . Or is it the same product with two different prices ?

I quite agree . What intrigues me is the whether the manufacturer lowers the standard of quality control on the non Yamaha badged bikes or raises the quality control on the Yamaha badged ones . Or is it the same product with two different prices ?

Good question. I guess some people get perfectly good lexmotos, others get a turkey. Luck of the draw.

Good question. I guess some people get perfectly good lexmotos, others get a turkey. Luck of the draw.

It's all very confusing .

PhotoEditor_20191013_120533362.thumb.jpg.1762b53571a06d6b23603e549252be31.jpg

It's all very confusing .

'Engineer Wong - come here! Did you put the stainless steel subframe on the ajs by mistake? Take it off and put the rust prone steel one on please - the stainless only goes on the yamaha'.

Well worth watching

">

I started watching and he said his opinion was one to listen to but he then said he was a big supporter of lexmoto and 'even had a hand in the development of the xx125'. Sooo not impartial then. I'd sooner listen to an independent mechanic who services and fixes both.

Ok , I've seen first hand some of the horrors of 1990's Chinese bikes and I can understand why people are still sceptical about the quality of manufacturing right up to the present day . But it's not actually the quality that I have an issue with . It's the sheer dishonesty of some of these bikes that really annoys me . I mean look at this thing and the way it imitates every single detail of a twenty grand Superbike but it's still a little 125 underneath all the window dressing . To me, it's just a cynical trap to ensnare the innocent first time buyer that does not deliver what it promises .

Screenshot_20191014-184439.thumb.png.5141bdba472eaf9cb12b716e584dc594.png

Ok , I've seen first hand some of the horrors of 1990's Chinese bikes and I can understand why people are still sceptical about the quality of manufacturing right up to the present day . But it's not actually the quality that I have an issue with . It's the sheer dishonesty of some of these bikes that really annoys me . I mean look at this thing and the way it imitates every single detail of a twenty grand Superbike but it's still a little 125 underneath all the window dressing . To me, it's just a cynical trap to ensnare the innocent first time buyer that does not deliver what it promises .

Meh - Japan does that too and I get it - plenty of 17 year olds want good looking bikes

2019-yam-yzf-r125-eu-dpbmc-sta-002-2789x_.thumb.jpg.afd3c2093c2949fdf888c21de39e9720.jpg

Meh - Japan does that too and I get it - plenty of 17 year olds want good looking bikes

2019-yam-yzf-r125-eu-dpbmc-sta-002-2789x_.jpg

I'd probably loose the stabilisers before attempting a track day .

2019-yam-yzf-r125-eu-dpbmc-sta-002-2789x_.jpg

I'd probably loose the stabilisers before attempting a track day .

I wouldn't. I'd fall off.

@geofferz no problem, it is a shame you didn't watch it all though, never mind :thumb:

The guy is a boring chump - I watched a fair bit but it was tedious and essentially just his rather biased opinion.

Crowd fund me the cash and I'll buy a new one to ride all year round. I'll even do reviews along the way. :-)