Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Better headlight bulb

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
Rustydog
Bike(s): Yamaha YBR Custom
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Better headlight bulb

Post by Rustydog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:09 pm

As a biking newbie I’m trying to get as many miles under my belt as time and weather permit this time of year. I am though seriously enjoying it and despite needing a lot more experience I’m already dreaming about my next bike later on.

However, coming back home tonight I realised how Carp the headlight is. The headlight, main and dipped just doesn’t throw it far enough or bright enough. I think it’s adjusted correctly so I don’t think that’s the problem. Is there simply a better type of bulb I can put in there to improve things at all?. The bike is a YBR Custom 125 and I think the headlight bulb is a ‘regular’ 35w. Thanks for any tips and info.

Mississippi Bullfrog
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1285 times

Re: Better headlight bulb

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 am

I believe you will be limited by the loom and headlight construction to the wattage of the original bulb. Some people have tried fitting a halogen bulb which gives marginally better light than the original spec bulb but not a huge improvement.

It might be worth looking at LED auxiliary lights which won't draw much current. I was chatting with a bloke up at the Ponderosa last week who had some cheap LEDs which made dark country lanes more bearable.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Lanceautoman
Bike(s): Honda CB600F Hornet Past: YBR 125
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Lanceautoman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:10 am

I used to have a YBR 125 - not the custom - and had the same issue with poor lighting at night.

I fitted Harley Davidson style Day Maker LED lamp like the one here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlight-Davi ... B017B8NHEE

It was superb: Brilliant light output, nice crisp beam pattern and drew less current halogen. You also wont need to replace the bulb again.

Was easy to fit. The only difficult part was getting it to fit in the housing. This required a bit of fiddling to move wires out of the way but it was all worth it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: Honda CB600F Hornet
Past: YBR125

"I like my women like i like my bikes, dirty, naked and with minimal talk (torque)".

Car:

Jaguar XJ6 3.0

Rustydog
Bike(s): Yamaha YBR Custom
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rustydog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 pm

That looks like just the job-thank you for sharing that!.
If I can get it into the existing chrome housing for the headlamp even better, if not it still seems like I’ll have got the sort of headlight I need-cheers :cheers:

Return to “Motorbike Chat”