Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

The English term for Simmerring / Gabeldichtringe?

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
hashamyim

The English term for Simmerring / Gabeldichtringe?

Post by hashamyim » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am

Hey there,
So I am a newbie to motorbike riding and have bought myself a Honda CBF1000 - yippee!
Unfortunately, in order to pass the German MOT test (TÜV), I apparently need to have the 'Simmerring', also sometimes known as 'Gabeldichtringe' replaced.
I am trying to find out what the English term for this is and am coming across a bit of a stoppage. Was wondering if anyone here might be able to tell what is going on from the following information.
This website (in German) tells you how to replace the 'Simmerringe': https://cdn3.louis.de/content/cms/3414/ ... tringe.pdf
The dictionary describes it as: shaft seal, oil seal, lock ring, retaining ring, rotary shaft seal...
I would really like to start learning how to maintain my own bike and have bought a book, but none of these terms appear in it.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I need to be looking at?
Sorry for what is undoubtedly a school-boy question...!
Regards,
Hashamyim

hawkeyefxr
Bike(s): Harley Superglide
Been liked: 13 times

Re: The English term for Simmerring / Gabeldichtringe?

Post by hawkeyefxr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Gabeldichtringe according to google is fork seals, quite an easy job with basic tools. Be care full about getting the old ones out, dont just use a screwdriver and just oink them out, do it a little at a time each side of the fork leg.
When installing the new ones use a big socket that will fit inside the fork leg where the seal sits and tap the seal home gently.
Refill with correct amount of oil. Do one leg at a time that way you have a reference as to what goes where.
Not sure what oil you are supposed to use but we always used ATF (automatic Transmission fluid) it puts up with a lot more than ordinary oil and give a nice ride. Ordinary oil get clapped out real quick in forks.

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 844 times

Post by geofferz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Unique thread this
Spanker of cyclists' arses

bonio
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has liked: 1453 times
Been liked: 582 times

Post by bonio » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 pm

geofferz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Unique thread this
Calm down mate - it's about fork seals. You're just getting bored as you're waiting outside XRay.
Two Soups

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Marino » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 am

Yes it means shaft seal and it is not necessary fork seal,
Shaft seal, also called Oil Seal, in machinery, a device that prevents the passage of fluids along a rotating shaft. Seals are necessary when a shaft extends from a housing (enclosure) containing oil, such as a pump or a gear box.

But in your case most probably is about forks

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 844 times

Post by geofferz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 am

bonio wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 pm
geofferz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Unique thread this
Calm down mate - it's about fork seals. You're just getting bored as you're waiting outside XRay.
Oh I wasn't complaining! Any content is good for me. I'll update my x-ray injury thread now.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 2962 times
Been liked: 2690 times

Post by fastbob » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:55 am

hawkeyefxr wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:40 pm
Gabeldichtringe according to google is fork seals, quite an easy job with basic tools. Be care full about getting the old ones out, dont just use a screwdriver and just oink them out, do it a little at a time each side of the fork leg.
When installing the new ones use a big socket that will fit inside the fork leg where the seal sits and tap the seal home gently.
Refill with correct amount of oil. Do one leg at a time that way you have a reference as to what goes where.
Not sure what oil you are supposed to use but we always used ATF (automatic Transmission fluid) it puts up with a lot more than ordinary oil and give a nice ride. Ordinary oil get clapped out real quick in forks.
I feel compelled to say that is a bit of a over simplified description of changing fork seals . You have to separate the stanchions from the lowers ( sliders ) first .There is often the issue of preventing the cartridge from revolving when the external bolt is removed. Then there are the bushes to inspect / replace according to their condition . Tapping in the new seals can often be done by using the old ones as a tool providing that you didn't mutilate them getting them out . Probably best to refer to the manual if this is s job never before attempted.

hawkeyefxr
Bike(s): Harley Superglide
Been liked: 13 times

Post by hawkeyefxr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Never used a tool for removing the old seals, they did not exist on my day. Fork seal and replacement along with bushes is a relatively easy jobs with pretty basic tools, it's not like changing mains and big ends bearings.
Yes dropping the legs from the tubes can be awkward but not impossible. It should also be mention for tube inspection for stone damage, this will more than likely damage the new seals if the damage is on a section that enters the fork leg.

Return to “Motorbike Chat”