Quickshifter

Mickmoonie

Fit a push button kill switch. Push it to equalize engine load.

A push button kill switch will work as well as many quick shifters (for up-changes only) I suspect.

Many quick shifters are difficult to set up for all conditions, most work very well in high-rev, high-load conditions but can be clunky at any other time. Original equipment quick shifters may incorporate auto-blippers for clutchless down-changing too, but they're not easy to retro-fit.

Personally ? I wouldn't bother with any of it. The Suzuki gearbox is usually super-slick and changing up by pre-loading the lever then a quick dip of the throttle should see you in the next gear in a few milliseconds, with no damage to the gearbox. As for changing down, use the clutch every time and you can even play at regulating your engine braking like MotoGP gods used to do ! :D

It would depend very much on what kind of riding you do . Personally I can't really see much point. Just one more thing to go wrong .

I have a OEM quick shifter on my MT10, I've used it a couple of times since getting the bike and its great, however, unless you're racing the bike I don't really see the need, if my bike hadn't of had one fitted already I wouldn't have bothered retro fitting one.

I have a OEM quick shifter on my MT10, I've used it a couple of times since getting the bike and its great, however, unless you're racing the bike I don't really see the need, if my bike hadn't of had one fitted already I wouldn't have bothered retro fitting one.

Really? I never clutch shift up - always use the qs.

I never clutch shift up - always use the qs.

I have a OE quick shifter (for up and down changes).

If I were to use it for every change I don't think the gearbox would last a year. First to second, second to third and down again changes are brutal - if you have any mechanical sympathy at all you would use the clutch. In the higher gears it's acceptable and the higher the revs the smoother the change.

If it didn't come as part of a package, I wouldn't bother with a quick shifter.

I’ve got a quick shifter and downblipper on my bike and I use them quite a lot, they arnt really clunky at all unless changing at very low rpm.

Saying that I only really use them during more spirited riding, for in town etc I use the clutch normally.

Aftermarket ones can be more difficult to set up, but if he wants one then go for it.

I think a lot dependso nthe bike. I had one on the GS and it transformed the bike: the gearbox is made of discarded German tractor parts, and mine was temperamental and rough. On a bad day, the quickshifter would take 2 seconds off every gear change. On my current Tiger, though, I wouldn't bother: the clutch is light, the gearbox is a dream, and there's loads of power a low revs, so there's not a lot to be gained. On a GSX600R, if it were me, I think I'd go for it. I didn't have one on mine, but if I had, it would have have made it easier to shift gears quickly at high revs. And the bike likes to be ridden near the red line :D

Eh up, what’s your opinions on putting a quickshifter on my GSXR 600?

do it. fit a -1 front sprocket, a +2 or +3 rear and a speedo healer whilst you're at it and the bike will be transformed :cheers:

Really? I never clutch shift up - always use the qs.

Only ever use it for the fast runs over the mountain road, the rest of the time its good old clutch :thumb:

This might seem a novice question but how does a ‘push button kill switch’ work, do you push it when upshifting the lever? 😳

Yeah, pretty much. I've rigged the kickstand switch wiring through the headlamp flash switch on my track bike.

Bit of upward pressure on the lever and tap the switch then presto, you've just changed gear! No need to mess about rolling off the throttle. :-D

I stuck the the IRC quick shifter auto blipper on my HP4 when I had it as the original only did upshifts on gen2.

This was was utterly rapid and seamless and was fully adjustable from pressure to blip rate and also you could swap it over to race shift.

Cost £600 from bikeHPS after I phoned them up and asked for a new customer discount :cheers: worth a try and saved about £70.

It really turned the bike into a missile as farting around with clutches was giddy on this thing and it definitely made it a smoother ride for me.

They just work so well on sports bikes as you'd expect.

On the GSA it's a pile of sh*te but then I guess that's why they refer to it a gear shift assist pro :scratch: