getting flashed for having 'fog lights on'

newbiker90

Hi I have the extra lights fitted on my africa twin dubbed as 'fog lights' but they are not that powerful, well i though they werent anyway. All the bikers I see also run their's all the time day or night and so do I. But recently I have been getting flashed by cars for having mine running? Without them I can not see sh*t. Are they really that powerful?

Edited by newbiker90

pop out and get one

Best pic I have for now, no chance in getting one taken tonight bikes all wrapped up and locked away. Tomorrow after I ride it back from work I can take a better one if u still need one

https://i.imgur.com/7ynAdrp.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

If your getting flashed there is a good chance that your dazzling other road users which is not good.

Yea but I do not understand how really, I will lower the lights and see if that helps because they are not that powerful. I definitely do not want to dazzle others!

I was offered fog lights on my bike and turned them down, I will be adding extra lights at some point but not 'fogs'. just something to help 'fill out' the 'dip'' so that when turned on they will pass the MOT requirements for the 'dip' aim.

Nice to see anothe AT owner on the forum. :cheers:

If you think your fogs aren't the problem then check your headlight beam alignment as well. Bike headlights are quite high so if the alignment is out it may be your headlight is dazzling drivers and with the additional fogs they think you're on main beam.

If you think your fogs aren't the problem then check your headlight beam alignment as well. Bike headlights are quite high so if the alignment is out it may be your headlight is dazzling drivers and with the additional fogs they think you're on main beam.

X 2 for this one, I passed a bike like yours last week, headlight seemed incredibly bright, some car drivers may mistake this for having your high beam on, it'll get worse as well, loaded, two up or sudden acceleration. Fog lights low down shouldn't be a problem, I had them on my Tenere and they never caused any issues.

Maybe not in this case but I've been flashed by car drivers on numerous occasions to warn me and other road users that the well meaning Rozzers have set up a mobile speed trap . I have also been flashed to warn me of an accident or hazard . So sometimes a flash is well intentioned rather than a rebuke . I won't be flashing to warn anyone about anything from now on because Harleys don't have a flash switch . When I do see a speed trap and there are a lot of Bikers on the road I usually do a " Cut " gesture by drawing my left hand emphatically across my throat .

DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

http://www.ukmot.com/Your-MOT-Questions/Running-Lights

DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

http://www.ukmot.com/Your-MOT-Questions/Running-Lights

:scratch:

No one mentioned DRL's :?

No one mentioned DRL's :?

well if they are not fog lights

Hi I have the extra lights fitted on my africa twin dubbed as 'fog lights'

.. what exactly are they ?

Not DRL's :?

DRL's are a different type of light normally LED

Plus DRL's are designed to turn off when the headlights are on

To be called fog lights they have to have a specific beam pattern which has a pretty low cut off point and so essentially point downwards this is so the light shines underneath the fog so you can see the road. I suspect that what you have are daytime running lights and they can be a bit bright even if pointed downwards.

I have LED DRLs low on my forks and pointed downwards and occasionally get flashed by some sensitive drivers. I can drive past 100s of drivers that take no notice but there is sometimes one that must have light sensitive eyes or feel that they are the DRL police that feel they have to make a point.

My philosophy is, if they flash me they must have seen me, which is the whole point of DRLs.

according to honda they are fog lights and they are LED

Front LED Fog Lights

Part number: 08V72-MGS-D30

Pair of adjustable, bright white LED Front Fog Lights, for those gloomy days and nights or when riding in fog. Must be combined with Fog Lights Attachment Kit, and mounted to Cowl Guard Kit (08P71-MGH-J20).

you have said what the are not .. so what exactly are they then ?

The Africa twin comes with 3 "always on" lights. The 'Dip' headlamp and the front indicators, which are Amber and always lit at about 50%. The aim being to offer a little more road presence than a headlamp alone. This has become standard on a fair number of Honda bikes and makes them instantly recognisable.

I've never been keen on the idea of spending £300+ for fog lights that will have minimum use. Fog lights are for FOG. And in my opinion as irritating on bikes as they are when used inappropriately on cars.

I will at some point add extra lights that have a standard beam pattern, that can be aimed in such a way that they will pass the MOT requirements, that are always on. For a little extra visibility during the day and to help "fill out" the dip at night. Obviously if these are aimed to pass the MOT then there is no danger of dazzling oncoming traffic. There is plenty of choice for these at a considerably lower price than the Honda "Fogs".

My plan is to fit them and then adjust the aim so they will easily pass the MOT. Honda offer a choice of wiring options, either a dedicated switch, or wired into the same circuit as the "Dip" or... If you want, "Main beam".

you have said what the are not .. so what exactly are they then ?

You missed this post then :roll:

according to honda they are fog lights and they are LED

Front LED Fog Lights

Part number: 08V72-MGS-D30

Pair of adjustable, bright white LED Front Fog Lights, for those gloomy days and nights or when riding in fog. Must be combined with Fog Lights Attachment Kit, and mounted to Cowl Guard Kit (08P71-MGH-J20).