Ear plugs!

Stu

I've had to endure tinnitus all my life following ear surgery when I was a sprog. It's horrible. I've known people develop it after a single noise event, others get it after prolonged exposure. It's not something you want to risk getting if you can avoid it.

I've worn earplugs for decades . There's nothing worse than riding to the Scottish Highlands only to find that your ears are singing for a week . I can't afford to have any hearing impairment because my job involves me listening to people every day many of whom have foreign accents . It's hard enough with my mild dyspraxia which makes it difficult to hear one voice against a background of other voices . Protect your hearing !

I don't know why you wouldn't wear them - they're not uncomfortable, and the benefits of being able to hear are... well documented . Mine cost £2.10 for 20 pairs so cost shouldn't be a concern.

Thumbs up for ear plugs, I suffer mild tinnitus, that's from my Army days though, bangs and explosions, I'm not going to compound it or make it worse by not wearing them. My ones cost £4.50 - money well spent.

I always wear earplugs. Every ride.

I thoroughly recommend the 3M EAR classic which could be made for helmet wearers as they are shorter than the normal foam sort. You can get 5 pairs from your local screwfix at £1.50 or so, to try, though you will need to order next day as they don't have them in store stock. https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-ear-classic-28db-foam-disposable-ear-plugs-5-pairs/40332 I will put a review in the appropriate forum section too.

Always have, always will.

A mate’s girl friend was doing a Uni course to qualify as an audiologist, she was doing a thesis on hearing damage in motorcyclists, I took part in the research by answering some questions & having a hearing test ( which I performed well at, although the Missus asked for a retest 🤣)

I never actually got to see the final thesis as they split up, but apparently there was a very strong correlation between greater hearing loss in a certain range for motorcyclists who did not wear ear plugs & / or preferred open face helmets.

I use ear plugs for the catering industry, so no need to touch them when removed contaminated by ear wax. made by 3M. they are unaffected by the helmet being removed and with the cords easy to take out. price i pay means they work out at 35p a pair.

earcordedneons-1.jpg.6dff7a2515272412de4038dc405d20e2.jpg

My helmet is good at shielding the noise, I'm always surprised how noisy the bike is when I ride it with no helmet (on a camp site once) or with my sh1t scooter helmet on.

So what damages hearing? Engine noise or wind?

My helmet is good at shielding the noise, I'm always surprised how noisy the bike is when I ride it with no helmet (on a camp site once) or with my sh1t scooter helmet on.

So what damages hearing? Engine noise or wind?

Read the link I posted :wink:

As reviewed on here I use the Senner silicon plugs which have an insert that filters out specific frequencies. They're not cheap but with my damaged ears they are by far the best I've found that work for me.

They cut wind noise more or less completely but I can hear traffic and enough of the bike to ride safely.

I've had to endure tinnitus all my life following ear surgery when I was a sprog. It's horrible. I've known people develop it after a single noise event, others get it after prolonged exposure. It's not something you want to risk getting if you can avoid it.

Really feel for you mate and i mean that. I to haver tinnitus, self inflicted you might say as i work in heavy steel industry in the early 70's. Health and Safety was not so hot them at least not where i worked.

I have tried a few ear plugs bought online but the best ones i have were moulded for my ears, they work really well and you can hear people talking to you quite well. To all that don't wear them on your bikes GET THEM!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richzx6r

Most of my generation, myself included, have some degree of hearing impairment due to riding motorcycles.

I started wearing them about 15 years ago.....but the damage had already been done.

Sorry dear can you speak up or face me when you are talking to me

Most of my generation, myself included, have some degree of hearing impairment due to riding motorcycles.

I started wearing them about 15 years ago.....but the damage had already been done.

Thing is Rich......so many people today talk so much shit, that it's a f@cking blessing not hearing the f@cking w@nkers!

Guest Richzx6r

Thing is Rich......so many people today talk so much shit, that it's a f@cking blessing not hearing the f@cking w@nkers!

Aye your not wrong there mate, I just tend to switch off when people are spouting shite that way it stops me tearing in to them

Just had a hearing test, my left ear is down 5 points...it almost stopped me getting a job. Though I did hear a very faint beep I stupidly didn't press the button which might explain the result. You can hear your heart beating more than the sounds in the ears they get so quiet. I usually only do short rides so not been wearing them, will be wearing them now.

• 2 weeks later...