Moterbike oils

Quackerzakieee

Hi all I've got to do a oil and engine flush on my bike as had oil cream up, which I'm putting it down to crappy weather and just having cylinder head and head gasket done couple of months ago.

Just wondering what oil and brand everyone recomends as I've been told a couple of different things regarding oil type the bike states to run on 10w/40 but I've been told to put 10/30 in it as it is an old engine n will be better for it but not sure what to do

10/40 or 10/30 - either will be fine. It is newer engines you need to be careful with as some have very narrow oil galleries so need the lower viscosity when hot figure.

For an older bike you would be fine using Halfords own brand motorcycle oil. I've used that for years and never had a problem.

But the range is so huge everyone will give you a different answer. Some people use cheap car engine oil on the basis it doesn't have the same friction inhibitors in it. Motorcycle clutches usually run in the oil so high end car oil with a high spec of friction inhitors aren't good for the clutch.

If you've had headgasket issues I'd buy a cheap oil, run it for a few hundred miles, then drain and refill with a better quality oil.

There must have been a heck of a lot of water in your engine for the oil to " Cream up " as you describe . Have you got an exposed crank vent or something ? What bike is this ?

Try this company Smith and Allan it's a UK company and I know a lot of people who like them. I have used their products on previous bikes with no issues at all and they offer great value. They also do 20l drums if you are changing your oil more often.

I'll put their link at the bottom but you can buy their stuff on eBay and Amazon and may save you a couple of quid rather than using their own website even though it's the same seller bizarre!

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-motorcycle/

Try this company Smith and Allan it's a UK company and I know a lot of people who like them. I have used their products on previous bikes with no issues at all and they offer great value. They also do 20l drums if you are changing your oil more often.

I'll put their link at the bottom but you can buy their stuff on eBay and Amazon and may save you a couple of quid rather than using their own website even though it's the same seller bizarre!

Yeh I only use their oil in all my bikes, fast postage too :thumb:

Blimey - I'd forgotten about them. Someone mentioned them to me ages ago and I looked them up. Those prices are amazing. Worth getting the 20l tubs in.

Guest Richzx6r

Have you checked your coolant level?

Make sure that gasket is not leaking again as it shouldn't be "creaming up"

Unless you are rubbing it in just the right way

I would suggest you confirm that the head gasket isn't leaking agin. Check that your coolant is OK and at the correct level.

Assuming that checks out, see your bike's manual for the recommended oil. It would help if you had said what bike it is, but the most common spec is 10W40, minimum SG, but SH SJ and SL are compatible. Oils tested specifically for motorcycles should have JASO MA specification, but don't go for car oil with "friction modifiers" - they make clutches slip.

I would suggest you confirm that the head gasket isn't leaking agin. Check that your coolant is OK and at the correct level.

Assuming that checks out, see your bike's manual for the recommended oil. It would help if you had said what bike it is, but the most common spec is 10W40, minimum SG, but SH SJ and SL are compatible. Oils tested specifically for motorcycles should have JASO MA specification, but don't go for car oil with "friction modifiers" - they make clutches slip.

Dead right on the jaso rating I have heard if many who have put car oils in their bike to have clutch issues.

Dead right on the jaso rating I have heard if many who have put car oils in their bike to have clutch issues.

Thats because the many have not researched and have used the wrong oils!

oil is oil as long as it meets spec. Friction modifiers are what cause the issues

There must have been a heck of a lot of water in your engine for the oil to " Cream up " as you describe . Have you got an exposed crank vent or something ? What bike is this ?

It's an er5 n I've checked coolant level which was fine so rang place that did my cylinder head n gasket and they said it's probably down to the crappy weather and short journeys

Guest Richzx6r

Crappy weather and doing short journeys wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, they are just fobbing you off, I feel they are taking you for a ride mate and are trying to cover something up

Guest Richzx6r

Personally I'd actually take it back to them and say right you did the work and there is still a problem so either they sort it as it should have been in the original quote or you are going to take some advice from the c.a.b, lay it on n stick it on them abit as it should have been rectified in the work you had done, it still sounds like there is a slight head gasket problem but not enough that its really noticeable but it will only get worse

Cold weather and short journeys will create some emulsion, but not as much as you seem to be experiencing. Combustion produces water vapour which gets into the oil. It will condense on cold engine parts on short rides. An engine that gets to full temperature will evaporate the moisture away.

Change the oil and make sure you do a decent longer ride regularly and there shouldn’t be any emulsion. If there is then raise it with the workshop.

Crappy weather and doing short journeys wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, they are just fobbing you off, I feel they are taking you for a ride mate and are trying to cover something up

no the cold weather and short journeys can do it!

The engine doesn't get enough time to evaporate the water thats in the oil and the constant warming and cooling causes condensation which builds up

know how much milkyness in the oil is just the cold and short journeys is hard to diagnose over the phone or internet

Guest Richzx6r

no the cold weather and short journeys can do it!

The engine doesn't get enough time to evaporate the water thats in the oil and the constant warming and cooling causes condensation which builds up

know how much milkyness in the oil is just the cold and short journeys is hard to diagnose over the phone or internet

Ok I stand corrected, and we need pics really I think