How long have you had to wait to get your bike repaired by your insurer

Bungleaio

How long have you waited from accident to getting your bike back?

10 weeks and counting for me, it didn't help that the other party took 8 weeks to actually admit it was their fault. My insurer is now waiting for the money to land before ordering any parts.

Frustrating seeing as the bike is ride able it's just got cracked fairings etc from falling over on its side when the driver reversed into it. Nice £25 a day storage being collected by the insurer though...

Never made an insurance claim on bike or car in 49 years of having vehicles!

I must be an insurance company's dream client!

I only had 1 claim that was 12 years ago, got rear ended whilst sat at traffic lights, in short driver claimed liability and car written off got paid out within 2 weeks, bought the car for £300 ins' paid out £900 and i got to keep the car sold off bits i could which raised another £500 and then scrapped it and got another £150, had the car for less than a month too :lol:

How long is a piece of string - sometimes these things are really straight forward and if the insurers are a competent bunch it can be as little as a month, but generally 2-3 months seems to be the norm based on people I've known.

M C E took about 14 months to settle when my bike was stolen-damaged-recovered......mostly cos they damaged the bike further, then lied, deceived, cheated and eventually ripped me off and I fought them all the way.

My car got (deliberately) rammed by someone I vaguely knew in April 2016.......that claim was finally settled last week - the other side finally accepted liability when they got a court date from my side.

Took me 8 months to get a bike I was knocked off after owning from new for 4 days. :lol:

Really does not surprise me, from what I can see. if your bikes written off it may take month or 2.

If not :scratch:

engineers report 1- 4 weeks,

the decision stage will they payout and how much, 1-4 weeks

then there's parts availability, they normally have to wait at least a month for something

then theirs the workshop time to be booked,

of course you will need to pay them your excess and anything else you and continue to pay insurance for a bike you cannot ride in all this time.

Don't forget:

They have to decide who's fault it was which they typically do AFTER your policy expiry date so they increase your insurance premium because you have an outstanding claim.

Have I missed anything?

:tumble:

My bike was parked up and someone reversed into it, it took a good hit on both sides they took my 2016 model away and lent me a 2019 model. I really hope they take many months to return it as i am loving this hire bike, everything done free of charge :D

My bike was parked up and someone reversed into it, it took a good hit on both sides they took my 2016 model away and lent me a 2019 model. I really hope they take many months to return it as i am loving this hire bike, everything done free of charge :D

Don't be too eager to let it drag on, read the small print in the T&C's, sometimes not always you may be liable for the cost of the hire bike

:thumb:

Have I missed anything?

:tumble:

The bit where they forget about you, your bike is in storage somewhere out of sight, out of mind - 3-6 months followed by daily phone calls for 2 weeks until they say "Ohhhh, sorry, we'll get this sorted ASAP". :lol:

Meanwhile I was riding a hire bike costing the other insurer £64 a day. I racked up £15,000 in hire fees split across two Yamaha XJ6's as I put 12,000 miles on and knackered the tyres. I wanted the SV650 they had but the one they gave me had a slipping clutch :evil:

My view of the XJ6 was it was a bad bike for me. I'm sure they're great for new starters and people wanting a reliable bike to have some fun on, but when I went on to have an FZ6 it felt like everything that made that bike good was taken away with the XJ6.

• 4 weeks later...

Update and the bike is back! Accident on the 9th December and returned to me today 20th March.

It's looking absolutely mint!

Nice result mate. Just in time for the good weather too!

Back in 1996 a friend of mine got knocked off at a junction when a car pulled out in front of him. He couldn't believe his luck: not only was he uninjured, but a police car behind him saw the whole thing and provided a statement to his insurance company, who told him it would all be settled in a fortnight.

Unfortunately their office was next to the Arndale Centre in Manchester, which the IRA blew up later that week. In the end I think it took him something like nine months to get his money. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the wait I had problems with it's the shite insurance/rules . I slid my bike down the road on black ice I had full comp so I claimed on.my insurance . The insurance comp told me I had to take the bike to THERE approved garage which was 60mils round trip yet there was a bike garage /repairs less than a mile away from me .

Then waiting 2 weeks to find out that due to the age of the bike . 6 years old at the time they couldn't match the tape lines /paint work .

It was GPZ500 all black with silver and red lines .

Then getting the bike back and discovering that they only repaired ONE SIDE OF THE BIKE..

So one side (none damaged side ) black red silver paint work

DAMAGED SIDE . Shiny gloss black orange stripes and gloss shiny silver..

When I refused to sign the work off as it looked like to bikes fitted together to make one bike .

They said they would charge me to store the bike and costs they lose due to the bike being in there way.

The insurance tossers said we only have to repair the damaged and DONT HAVE TO MATCH THE REST OF THE BIKE .

and if I dont sign for the work they will dump the costs of the work on me .

So i ended up with a shite looking bike . It cost less than £200 in the garage close to me to match the paint and red and silver paintwork. They repainted what the other garage messed up . .

So when you get yours back check it matches . The rest of the bike .