geofferz

<t>Choose</t>  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• Honda
    • Kawasaki
    • Suzuki
    • Yamha

erm.. Its a honda.. its a scooter... its a hoot.

311019.thumb.jpg.a962f35b073daa7a45a019b14f90c179.jpg

seriously i have nothing to compare it with as the only other Japanese bike Ive owned was made in 1976 and a 2 stroke triple. And I sold it 38yrs ago.

Back in the 50's everyone regarded Japanese stuff in much the same way as they view Chinese stuff today.

Japanese = cheap and shoddy.

An aspiring electronics company set themselves the target of making the world see Japanese made products as the world leader. That was their single objective.

So for sheer balls without whom the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers would have got nowhere I'd give Sony a mention.

Back in the 50's everyone regarded Japanese stuff in much the same way as they view Chinese stuff today.

An aspiring electronics company set themselves the target of making the world see Japanese made products as the world leader. That was their single objective.

So for sheer balls without whom the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers would have got nowhere I'd give Sony a mention.

Well said !

Cheers

Ian

There was also a lot of anti-Japanese feeling due to WWII.

You're talking about Toyoda I presume.

It was a bit more than wanting to "be the best", they created a whole manufacturing quality methodology around it -TPS. Something Chinese manufacturing haven't really bothered with much yet.

Fun fact: in the 90s when they were floundering, Toyota gave Porche full access their facilities and knowledge because they didn't consider Porsche any sort of rival in terms of quality or manufacturing.

Porsche pinched TPS methods (lean, 6 sigma etc.) and German Technik was born.

It was a bit more than wanting to "be the best", they created a whole manufacturing quality methodology around it -TPS. Something Chinese manufacturing haven't really bothered with much yet.

Fun fact: in the 90s when they were floundering, Toyota gave Porche full access their facilities and knowledge because they didn't consider Porsche any sort of rival in terms of quality or manufacturing.

The seed of the philosophy actually began with Sony. Other Japanese manufacturers, Toyota included, picked it up and made it work. I have had two Toyotas and they were brilliant cars. Both were versions of the Yaris made in Japan and France. Same part, same engines, same everything. But you tell the difference between a Japanese built car and a French one instantly.

But you tell the difference between a Japanese built car and a French one instantly.

More reverse gears than forward ones I presume, just like their tanks? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you tell the difference between a Japanese built car and a French one instantly.

More reverse gears than forward ones I presume, just like their tanks? :lol: :lol: :lol:

why do French tanks have rear view mirrors ?

so they can see the battle.

The seed of the philosophy actually began with Sony. Other Japanese manufacturers, Toyota included, picked it up and made it work.

Toyoda introduced the first aspects of lean in the 30s. I thought Sony was post war...

The seed of the philosophy actually began with Sony. Other Japanese manufacturers, Toyota included, picked it up and made it work.

Toyoda introduced the first aspects of lean in the 30s. I thought Sony was post war...

1958. if you want to be pedantic.

I think we're probably talking about slightly different things. Toyota focused on their production protocols, Sony were taking a wider perspective on how Japanese products were seen in a global perspective. Their objective was to transform the global image of Japanese products. That's the aspect peculiar to them.

I think we're probably talking about slightly different things. Toyota focused on their production protocols, Sony were taking a wider perspective on how Japanese products were seen in a global perspective. Their objective was to transform the global image of Japanese products. That's the aspect peculiar to them.

Yeah, different strands of the same thread.

I've probably had about the same number of Honda and Suzuki over the years, not so many Yamahas and only one Kawasaki. In recent years I've had more european bikes than Japanese but currently have one each of Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

The seed of the philosophy actually began with Sony. Other Japanese manufacturers, Toyota included, picked it up and made it work. I have had two Toyotas and they were brilliant cars. Both were versions of the Yaris made in Japan and France. Same part, same engines, same everything. But you tell the difference between a Japanese built car and a French one instantly.

The Yaris is a really well built, reliable car.

I’ve only owned one Toyota, a Landcruiser, which is perhaps their toughest,most over engineered car and I honestly wish I’d never sold it, never went wrong, far more dependable and just as capable as other more fancy brands in that sector.