MOT or Not?

Mawsley

I'm going to eBay my CG and XT after the coronas, neither has tax, insurance or ticket. Do I insure and MOT them to sell them - and pay the insurance cancellation fees - or just list them as not having a MOT? I'm torn.

You only need to MOT them to make sure they are safe to ride, you won't need insurance and tax as long you don't ride them

You don't need to tax it but if you are riding it to garage for mot it'll need insurance.

You can get day insurance though if it was myself and the garage was close enough I wouldn't bother.

Note that is what I'd personally do and I take no liability :lol:

You can also get monthly insurance which may well be better for you

I would MOT them for selling as someone will knock you down claiming it could be a money pit :blah:

If I was buying a bike I would want at least some MOT on it

If I buy something without MOT I expect it to be ridiculously cheap.

I insured the wife's car last week with admiral (I think). I did it on-line and it was £18 for the week or £22 for the month.

You only need to MOT them to make sure they are safe to ride, you won't need insurance and tax as long you don't ride them

how long is it before you loose your no claims if you dont insure them as my insurance runs out at the end of next month and im wondering what to do with all this lot going on :?: Edited by skyrider

You might want to think about changing it to a static insurance, can't remember the exact term for it ( SORN Insurance), but you insure it with basic cover when it will be off the road for a while and covers you against theft and accidental damage but you can't ride it on the road :thumb:

You might want to think about changing it to a static insurance, can't remember the exact term for it ( SORN Insurance), but you insure it with basic cover when it will be off the road for a while and covers you against theft and accidental damage but you can't ride it on the road :thumb:

The issue is getting them to the MOT Station .

im not too bad for transporting bikes as i have a tranny van :)

What’s a tranny van ,can’t make up its mind what type it is. :seeya:

Cheaper to hire or borrow a van and take to the mot station than muck about insuring them?

I bloomin well hope not. :lol:

Borrowing a mate with a van might be an option. Still need to track down an MOT centre that's open. Thinking I'll leave it till the lockdown is lifted and then pop them to the local one as I've been swayed that getting a ticket is a good idea.

But having fired up the 125 on the third press I was immediately struck with 'Well I could keep this one'. I just know the same thing will happen when I fire up the XT, I'm crap at shifting bikes :lol:

• 5 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would piggyback off this one since the question is the same. I'm hoping [mention]Mawsley[/mention] has more info on what he eventually decided to do since there's been no activity on this since the last post. :)

My MOT is due in less than a month and I'm very undecided on if I should get the bike MOT'ed or not. Since Covid-19 kicked off, I've not had to use my bike much this year, I mainly use it for commuting to and from work but since lockdown, I'm been a home worker so rarely I go out on it during the weekdays and with the colder months upon us I don't know if I should wait it out till the warmer weather again and MOT it then or if I should just get it over and done with now. I have a driveway so I can easily SORN the bike if I go for the latter.

Is there anyone else in this forum that is facing the same dilemma as me? If so, what have/did you decide to do? Thank you.

my tax/mot ran out in march so i sorned it and i think that will be it till next march not worth putting it back on the road now, so i will see how we are getting on with the covid thing then. not a lot of bikes knocking about around here this year :(

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would piggyback off this one since the question is the same. I'm hoping @Mawsley has more info on what he eventually decided to do since there's been no activity on this since the last post. :)

My MOT is due in less than a month and I'm very undecided on if I should get the bike MOT'ed or not. Since Covid-19 kicked off, I've not had to use my bike much this year, I mainly use it for commuting to and from work but since lockdown, I'm been a home worker so rarely I go out on it during the weekdays and with the colder months upon us I don't know if I should wait it out till the warmer weather again and MOT it then or if I should just get it over and done with now. I have a driveway so I can easily SORN the bike if I go for the latter.

Is there anyone else in this forum that is facing the same dilemma as me? If so, what have/did you decide to do? Thank you.

I have the same issue with our daughter's car. She is working from home and now expecting a baby so she'll be on maternity leave by the time the office reopens.

Her car is on our parking area to save road tax but the MOT is due first week of November.

The plan is to lay it up over the winter when she won't be using it then get it MOT'd next spring. That way she gets a full 12 months MOT on it rather than wasting 6 months on the drive.

No problem taking to the MOT, so long as it's pre-booked you can drive it there.

Of course dad is expected to service the damn thing free of charge.

As long it's not in public road you don't have to do the MOT.

You want to keep the insurance (if comprehensive) just in case but the MOT is only required if it is driven.

On insurance matter you can contact your company and have a mileage adjustment for free because of covid-19. I got just under £30 from mine ;)