Pull behind trailer project

husoi

As I said on another thread, I got this roof box courtesy of a gentleman from Auchterader :)

367972584_roofbox1.jpg.82b6b87aee06f556c8a37e7ff1fd87de.jpg

Roof box

1984555572_roofbox2.jpg.7ef3b97afd975a5253b025f7b0bbd245.jpg

Roof box

The idea is to fix it to a frame and make a trailer for my touring trips.

Although a one wheeler would be a great option I decided to Go for the 2 wheels and have a more stable setting.

The box is 137 cm X 95 cm which is just under the legal 1m width. To go around this, I'll be crating 2 wheel arch inside the box next to the wall, this will be done in glass fibre and resin.

The cover is quite wobbly so I'm considering reinforcement with red carbon fibre and epoxy resin, 3 resin coats on top for glossy finish. Like this ill be red as the bike ;)

0e91171f-a123-4277-88fe-7412ed1ee86c.jpg.378d6ce3921dafdb350b26f8d98629aa.jpg

Red carbon fibre

I'm not too worried about the base, it will be fixed to the steel frame so it will be strengthen with it and isn't as wobbly.

Also considering to create a wall to be fixed between the cover and the base to increase capacity.

What sort of touring are you doing? are you taking full camping gear?

Although the roof is flexible, I imagine it is fine as they it sits on top of cars doing 80mph plus

What sort of touring are you doing? are you taking full camping gear?

Although the roof is flexible, I imagine it is fine as they it sits on top of cars doing 80mph plus

The intention is to do full camping gear yes. But when not camping I'm sure the mrs will find plenty to fill it up :)

Maybe even make one of those pull up tents with aluminium frame.

Keeping that loaded and a steel frame + axle and wheels under 150kg is going to be a mission !

Plus don't forget to check your insurance allows towing ;) and if going abroad check which countries don't allow mc towing

Keeping that loaded and a steel frame + axle and wheels under 150kg is going to be a mission !

Plus don't forget to check your insurance allows towing ;) and if going abroad check which countries don't allow mc towing

Don't you mean not overloaded? :D

Maybe I can get a cheap scale to make sure is always under 150kg. ;)

Most European countries refer to the law of the origin country for mc towing.

The frame will be steel yes, and there are quite a few companies that sell all the accessories for the trailer. so I should be easier.

Now I have the box I can start designing the frame to fit.

Don't you mean not overloaded? :D

Maybe I can get a cheap scale to make sure is always under 150kg. ;)

Most European countries refer to the law of the origin country for mc towing.

The frame will be steel yes, and there are quite a few companies that sell all the accessories for the trailer. so I should be easier.

Now I have the box I can start designing the frame to fit.

Would Ali box section be better? It’s lighter and would carry 150kg easily ( you should look at dinghy launch trailers to see what you could do)

Would Ali box section be better? It’s lighter and would carry 150kg easily ( you should look at dinghy launch trailers to see what you could do)

The downside of Aluminium frame is that isn't as strong as steel and being lighter means that will need to be loaded or will start jumping if is empty.

I'm not sure aluminium will stand the vibrations and impacts as well as steel.

Then price factor, alum is around 30% more expensive than steel.

also, there are more standard sizes in steel than alum.

Adding to this, I have welding equipment for steel but not for alum.

But your suggestion is appreciated. :thumb:

Guest Swagman

The downside of Aluminium frame is that isn't as strong as steel and being lighter means that will need to be loaded or will start jumping if is empty.

I’m sure you could design a light strong frame with steel. :D

I’m sure you could design a light strong frame with steel. :D

Indeed,

I don't expect the entire trailer to be anything over 30 to 45kg

Bathroom scales will weigh the trailer, going for 2 wheels you need to work out balance, a little bit of nose weight tows better but for the size you can alter that when loading.

My bathroom scale is a freakin' liar... :shock: :shock:

Looking for a bit of advice

Specially aimed to those whom have a trailer.

What is the width of the trailers?

I know the legal max width is 1m but I think this is just too big.

Taking some precise measurements I realise that the roof box is exactly 1m wide on its widest section.

So the wheels will definitely would have to go inside. But this means that the trailer would be quite wide.

Going back to the traditional build of a trailer, wheels outside, I would have to cut around 40 cm (400mm) to bring it under the max size (96cm).

Now, this for me would look better and not like an old mobile with the wheel concealed in the bodywork, would be easier to repair a puncture if necessary.

If I'm to cut the box, which won't be too hard, better cut it to a decent size and go for what is a better setting.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance :thumb:

Thank you all for the advice :thumb: :cheers:

Made a couple changes to design.

The wheel will run flush to the side of the box, cutting the box to 80cm I'll have it just under the panniers width and the wheels will also run at 80cm end -to-end.

Will still have a box with 1.35 X 0.80 X 0.40 m = 380 lt

or with an extension of the side wall by 20cm as planned to 1.35 X 0.80 X 0.60 500 lt.

IF that isn't enough space better get an RV :D

Guest Richzx6r

I cant get my head round towing a trailer on a bike... you must take far to much stuff with you if you got enough to fill a trailer .

Aye agreed, when I go away on the bike I tend to take much more than I need and I have come close but never ran out of room with 2 oxford panniers a tank bag maybe a rucksack and a f**k load of bungee straps granted I don't take the missus as she hates camping but still I have never run out of room for supplies

I cant get my head round towing a trailer on a bike... you must take far to much stuff with you if you got enough to fill a trailer .

Lets split my luggage on the bike in 2. (2 weeks trip)

Tools, sat-nav, phone, docs, summer gloves, tent, air mattress pump, extension lead phone charger.

Mine:

riding boots,

jeans that I'll be wearing for the whole trip,

plenty underwear (will wash most of it halfway the trip),

toiletries (shaving, toohbrush etc)

4 t-shirts.

waterproof sandals (for walking around, beach and shower)

swimming shorts,

1 multi-purpose towel.

Wife:

5 pairs of trousers,

30 sets of underwear,

18 pairs of socks,

24 tops (t-shits, blouses)

2 jumpers,

5kg of toiletries,

riding boots,

closed shoes,

open shoes,

black sandals,

brown sandals,

4 pairs of shorts,

bikini,

swimming suit,

beach towel

shower towel

Pretty much something like this...

Alternative to trailer is parcel monkey.

£10 overnight delivery most places in UK.

Send some clean stuff to yourself half way through and return dirty stuff... Keeps bike light and makes travel easier.

My mum when flying used to send her hold luggage to my sister by post it was cheaper and she did not have to carry it...