Steering lock and insurance

Beans

Reading my car insurance renewal and saw that they won't pay out if any of the manufacturer fitted security mechanisms aren't on, or words to this effect.

So got me thinking, presumably it's the same for bikes, and when I put the bike away in a locked garage, I also need to use the steering lock otherwise no payout if stolen?

Reading my car insurance renewal and saw that they won't pay out if any of the manufacturer fitted security mechanisms aren't on, or words to this effect.

So got me thinking, presumably it's the same for bikes, and when I put the bike away in a locked garage, I also need to use the steering lock otherwise no payout if stolen?

What worries me is you might be correct but for fooks sake don't air this thought on a public forum where insurers employees might read it !!!!!!!

Mods can we delete this ?

Cheers

Ian

If you are lucky enough to get your bike recovered after being stolen and the steering lock wasn't on at the time I'd seriously think about breaking it myself before the insurance people came to give it the once over :lol:

I can easily see it being claimed that you didn't have the bike locked as per terms of your insurance. Annoyingly it's better to leave them off as they are easy enough to break and cause headaches and expense to fix when broken :roll:

I wonder what they'd say for my style of security, leaving the front end off.

Steering locks are bloody annoying though, it just wouldn't do to have to remember the keys when I need to juggle things round to get to the box of bits at the back - though I am getting better at just scrambling over them for a quick root around when you know roughly where the bit you need is, extra points if you mange not to ding a bar end into a tank.

If you want to ensure your bike doesn't go anywhere you would need to fit an anchor to the pavement.

Then you would need a titanium lock (Steel can be frozen and broken).

The best is to connect the garage door to the mains :P :D

Guest Swagman

If you want to ensure your bike doesn't go anywhere you would need to fit an anchor to the pavement.

Then you would need a titanium lock (Steel can be frozen and broken).

The best is to connect the garage door to the mains :P :D

Most locks and come to that garages are useless if the thief really wants the item, have a friend who had a quad stolen from in a locked brick garage with ground anchor to wall, the thieves just took the wall down and stole the quad anyway, while they were in bed at night never heard a thing. :shock: :shock:

Guest Richzx6r

Couldn't be connected to the house, if they did that to mine a they would have to move the jaaag from in front of the garage door which isn't the most quiet of doors when you open it and them just getting the car out the way would wake us up so while I'm not saying its completely safe it's as near as damn it

Guest Swagman

:shock: Took the wall down and they never heard a thing, is the garage connected to the house?

No just to the side of the house, the first they knew was when they opened the garage door and saw the quad gone. :shock: :shock:

:shock: Took the wall down and they never heard a thing, is the garage connected to the house?

No just to the side of the house, the first they knew was when they opened the garage door and saw the quad gone. :shock: :shock:

jeez oh, must have been frightening to wake up and see that. Have they installed security in the house now then just in case?

Guest Swagman

jeez oh, must have been frightening to wake up and see that. Have they installed security in the house now then just in case?

No I think it was just for the quad, this is the second one that has been taken he parks his third purchase at a farm out the way, not just standard Quads they were something he used for his work so were quite on the pricey side hence the thefts they must have been targeted.

No I think it was just for the quad, this is the second one that has been taken he parks his third purchase at a farm out the way, not just standard Quads they were something he used for his work so were quite on the pricey side hence the thefts they must have been targeted.

Man that sucks, what a bunch of c**ts those thieves are. Quads are one of the most reported vehicles in my work as they deal mainly with the farm industry.

Guest Swagman

Man that sucks, what a bunch of c**ts those thieves are. Quads are one of the most reported vehicles in my work as they deal mainly with the farm industry.

Yeah he works in that type of job but self employed, so he has to buy his own equipment. :thumb:

Just hate thieves full stop. Why some ar*eholes think they can just help themselves to kit other people have worked really hard for is beyond me. Lock'em up and chuck the key. All this guff about social deprivation doesn't hold water as most folks in that position don't turn to thievery so why should it be an excuse?

I have decided to imagine that the people who steal are probably hero’s on the run from world crime conspirators like James Bond, or Jack Reacher or the A-team or Charlie’s Angels. They’re not steal so much as surviving in the face insurmountable odds.

I have noticed in the films and TV series my heroes help themselves when they need. That must be what happened to my pushbike from outside Tesco when I was 11, outside my flat in Gloucester when I was 30.