Yamaha r6 2001 gear indicator install

sam11189

hi everyone.

i have my first trackday coming up in couple weeks and i want to know which gear im in with a quick glance down,

i bought a cheap universal one of ebay. it has 1 plug with 6 wires and then a free wire so 7 in total. no way will it just plug in i guess but maybe i can cut the plug off and wire it in somewhere.

has anyone got any experience with these things?

cheers folks

hi i asked the seller he doesnt supply instruction lol so i actually bought another gear indicator before. A plug and play one but didnt realise until recently that my carbed r6 doesnt work with plug n play. no ecu.

so i just went out and bought a cheap universal one off ebay and hoped it wouldnt be too bad to install. But of course zero instructions makes it a pain.

heres a pic

20200616_182841.thumb.jpg.73bde9b77b4576371357a9a93ca098b1.jpg

universal gear indicator

I found this on google when looking for universal wiring diagrams. Not sure if it will help or even be for your one. Wiring colours look the same as your picture :scratch:

diagrama-indicador-marchas.jpg.0d596333561638ad1c4b73e5eba6a801.jpg

cheers mate. yeah thats for a indicator with sensors. Sure my one can be wired into the display unit with speedometer, tachometer but without instruction and knowing which cable represents what am a bit lost. get what you for. cheap junk off ebay.

If your bike has a gear position sensor then it usually takes the readouts from that and normally the gear position sensor is wired to the ecu

They normally go to the taco and speedo to guess which gear the bike is in