Chain lube

EX GASMAN

I have had my little Enfield for a year now and I have never put any lube on the chain, oops :( I have had Harleys for years and totally forgot, I don't use the bike a hell of a lot, and not often in the rain, so should be ok. I'm doing it before the next time I take it out.

Do it do it NOW :lol: i do mine every month regardless it is only a 10 minute job, and if you don't have time to ride it to warm up the chain use a hair dryer i got a cheap one for under a tenner :thumb:

There are multiple threads on chain lube with everyone having different opions which is best. My personal preference is dry chain wax but I've tried gear oil and that works reasonably well. However I ride in all weathers in a rural setting where grit and mud are everywhere so I've come back to dry wax and the way that works for me best.

Whichever method and product you use the thing is little and often.

If you do lube your chain while the bike it's parked give more time for the oil to penetrate the rings and have it properly done.

When I had the VFR I would always do it at arrival instead of before leaving.

Works even better with dry silicone lube

I use Wurth dry chain lube https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/29605 .... I ride all year round, do my chain at least once a month and never have any problems. I usually lube my chain straight after a ride out so its warm, Its then left overnight. TBF so long as you're cleaning and oiling it regularly I would find it difficult to recommend one type or make over another, it comes down to personal preference and what suits you.

I have half a can of that banana flavoured monkey spunk stuff, when that's all used up will be going on to either gear oil or chainsaw oil depends what i have in my stock in the shed :thumb:

So it doesn't oil itself then ? Just asking because my old Triumph Trophy had a brass insert in the Primary Chain Case with a tiny hole in it that was designed to drip onto the Final Drive Chain . A pretty stupid idea to be honest .

I have had my little Enfield for a year now and I have never put any lube on the chain, oops :( I have had Harleys for years and totally forgot, I don't use the bike a hell of a lot, and not often in the rain, so should be ok. I'm doing it before the next time I take it out.

So long no links are stuck together, a quick spin of the chain and make sure each one moves freely against the next one, and you will have got away with it. A good clean and new lube of your choice will do.

You know you need to clean it first? or you're just adding lube to the mucky chain which isn't good for the chain.

I use mucoff cleaner, which you can rinse off too. dry the chain then lube from different angles. The waxy stuff is good as doesn't fling off.

I also have the banana monkey stuff and its good.

Do it do it NOW :lol: i do mine every month regardless it is only a 10 minute job, and if you don't have time to ride it to warm up the chain use a hair dryer i got a cheap one for under a tenner :thumb:

For chain maintenance, after trying various methods I now clean with parafin in a spray bottle using old rags until its clean and dry then use 80/90 gear oil lightly applied with a brush then wipe off the excess with a cloth. A bottle of parafin and gear oil will last years and is much cheaper than canned lube. It is fiddly but economical and its what the chain manufacturers recommend. I have used motul chain paste too which is good.

Lots of opinions on chains, I favour automatic chain oilers. Choose your tour from £20 to £200.

Then I am really good at not cleaning my chain.

Take your pick on oils and gunks to spray on, lots of choice or there.