my ksr moto worx is only giving me about 40 mpg

it should be about 100 mpg. the exhaust smells a little bit rich, but i havent up-jetted it or anything. i also adjusted the air screw correctly, until it was running at its best. everything else is standard on the bike apart from a k&n filter and a sports exhaust. what could be the problem?

The K&N filter and Sports Exhaust . If you suck air in more quickly and blow out exhaust gases more quickly then you will need more petrol to mix with it .

The K&N filter and Sports Exhaust . If you suck air in more quickly and blow out exhaust gases more quickly then you will need more petrol to mix with it .

i guess thats the difference between a carb and an injection system.

i guess thats the difference between a carb and an injection system.

Not really . When you add a free flowing filter and exhaust to an EFI bike it would generally be necessary to re map it . Well it definitely would on a Harley which is why I bought one with a carburettor . In your case you just need to experiment with jet sizes , needle height and mixture screw settings to achieve the optimum balance but if it's performance you're after then you're still going to have to burn some fuel to achieve it .

Edited by fastbob

Well done everyone for resisting the urge to say put it all back to standard and save up for a bigger bike . 😉

Have you checked tyre pressures, brakes binding, chain tension, wheel alignment;all the basic stuff?

Oil level and quality ok?

What's your riding style like , full throttle everywhere?

Where do you use it, open road cruising or around town?

How old is the bike, mileage, is it still under warranty?

Manufacturer MPG claims should be taken with a pinch of salt and just a guide however a 125cc bike should be more frugal than 40mpg, I can get better out my R1.

Well done everyone for resisting the urge to say put it all back to standard and save up for a bigger bike . 😉

I was going to mention putting it back to standard to achieve higher mpg until you replied first basically stating that :lol:

Things that affect consumption are

dirty air filter

worn or "coated" spark plugs or wrong gap

Dirty oil filter

Dirty fuel filter

wrong octane level

On older bikes you can also have a timing belt telling you that is about to crack, an older timing belt will become looser and it will result in incorrect timings

Adding to this what [mention]Bianco2564[/mention] said

that is rubbish i only used to get a bit less out of my 72 v8 range rover and i soon got rid of that :|

I had a later RR Classic years ago for off roading, paid £800 for it, I couldn’t get anywhere near 25 MPG though, more like 14!.

Others I’ve had that were eye watering were an E55 AMG which did 12-16 and a Cayenne Turbo which did 8-14 :shock: .

yes 14 is about what mine did and we soon parted company i had it for two months one month on the road and one month off while it was for sale and it went never to be seen again, you have heard the expression not watching the road just the fuel gauge well thats what i was doing FRIGHTENING will never own another