How many miles on new tyres before wet weather rides?

Ms_G

Hey all

So I got my beautiful new bike[Honda cmx500 rebel] been out on her twice just around London in the dry weather and have done about 50miles to scuff the new tyres - I'm due to join a small ride out on Sunday but weather is looking unpredictable

How many dry miles should I get on the tyres before riding in the wet? I think I recall my dealership saying approx 100miles? that sound about right?

Ms G

One thing you failed to mention is which tyres you have.

Softer tyres will need less miles than harder compounds.

Most importantly than wearing the tyres a bit before going to wet surfaces is warming the tyres before hitting the wet.

depending on outside temperature a 5 miles ride at 60mph should be enough for your tyres to come to working temperature.

Hey all

So I got my beautiful new bike[Honda cmx500 rebel] been out on her twice just around London in the dry weather and have done about 50miles to scuff the new tyres - I'm due to join a small ride out on Sunday but weather is looking unpredictable

How many dry miles should I get on the tyres before riding in the wet? I think I recall my dealership saying approx 100miles? that sound about right?

Ms G

Your can ride brand new tyres in the wet - otherwise what would you do if you got new tyres and it happened to start raining as you went to return home? But of course you have to go easy.

As said, the recommendation is 100 miles of riding in the dry to scrub tyres in fully, but tbh the tyres are 80% of the way there after the first 20 miles. After 50 dry miles, you'll be fine. :thumb:

About 8 miles for me... 4 miles gentle roads to warm them up some derestricted for then run back.

Typically I do the same again just because...

If the tyre has lost the glossy sheen its as near as run in as far as I am concerned....

Your can ride brand new tyres in the wet - otherwise what would you do if you got new tyres and it happened to start raining as you went to return home? But of course you have to go easy.

As said, the recommendation is 100 miles of riding in the dry to scrub tyres in fully, but tbh the tyres are 80% of the way there after the first 20 miles. After 50 dry miles, you'll be fine. :thumb:

Yeah - both times I bought my new bikes it rained

The day I was due to pick up the Bobber it was wet and the dealer point blank refused to let me pick it up from them. He put it in his van and delivered it. Then if I chose to ride it in the wet on new tyres it was entirely down to me.

One advantage of buying local. A mate bought a new Street Cup from a dealer 75 miles away and had to ride it home in monsoon conditions. He said he nearly lost it twice even riding with extreme caution.

The day I was due to pick up the Bobber it was wet and the dealer point blank refused to let me pick it up from them. He put it in his van and delivered it. Then if I chose to ride it in the wet on new tyres it was entirely down to me.

One advantage of buying local. A mate bought a new Street Cup from a dealer 75 miles away and had to ride it home in monsoon conditions. He said he nearly lost it twice even riding with extreme caution.

Slight off track from the op but:

I'm on the other end of the tyre's life. Riding in the monsoon conditions on Thursday reinforced the thought that my back tyre was due to be replaced. It was definitely squirrelly on some bends and roundabouts. Nothing like the buttock clenching moment when the back end slides a bit. So I am now mulling over whether to replace with OEM Pirelli Scorpions in which case I'll only do the rear or do both and switch to Metzler. Hmm.

Guest Richzx6r

I'm on the other end of the tyre's life. Riding in the monsoon conditions on Thursday reinforced the thought that my back tyre was due to be replaced. It was definitely squirrelly on some bends and roundabouts. Nothing like the buttock clenching moment when the back end slides a bit. So I am now mulling over whether to replace with OEM Pirelli Scorpions in which case I'll only do the rear or do both and switch to Metzler. Hmm.

I'd switch both and get on a set of pilot road 5's they are meant to be the best tyres going and if they are better than the 4's I was using a couple of years ago then they will be amazing !!

The ones I had before I needed to change the rear because of a puncture had done 13.5k miles and 2 trackdays and were around 2/3 used the front would have done 2 rear tyres I'd hazard a guess.

Next time I replace both tyres on mine I'll be opting for a set of road pilot 5's for sure

I'd switch both and get on a set of pilot road 5's they are meant to be the best tyres going and if they are better than the 4's I was using a couple of years ago then they will be amazing !!

The ones I had before I needed to change the rear because of a puncture had done 13.5k miles and 2 trackdays and were around 2/3 used the front would have done 2 rear tyres I'd hazard a guess.

Next time I replace both tyres on mine I'll be opting for a set of road pilot 5's for sure

The best thing about PR5s is that they will push down the price of PR4s and PR3s . Manufacturers have always got to have " Our best tyre ever " because it sells more product . I had PR2s , changed to PR3s and then I realized that I didn't need the rain Sips because I ride so cautiously in the rain that I practically stay upright in corners . So I went back to PR2s and saved some money .

Polish_20200620_114458233.thumb.jpg.67e5918fa19d4328f75c99ea381dec63.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Guest Richzx6r

The best thing about PR5s is that they will push down the price of PR4s and PR3s . Manufacturers have always got to have " Our best tyre ever " because it sells more product . I had PR2s , changed to PR3s and then I realized that I didn't need the rain Sips because I ride so cautiously in the rain that I practically stay upright in corners . So I went back to PR2s and saved some money .

This is true, I found that with the PR4s I only had to change how I ride in the wet very marginally, I.e roundabouts I still tiptoed on but other than that they performed equally good in the wet as in the dry

Ideally if you change to different tyres , you should change them both. But honestly I had different front and rear and didn’t feel such difference. Maybe some more expert riders will.

Still for peace of mind I prefer same tyre on both sides.

I'm with you on that. If I change brands I'll change both, if I stick with the Pirelli I'll only do the rear. It's got 8500 miles on it and a couple of mm left on the thread but in the rain it was definitely more twitchy than I'm used to on this bike so a change is due.

I managed to do 100miles just round London on the afternoons it dried up, so think I managed to scuff them sufficiently before Sunday morning when I got VERY wet - still took it easy though and it dried out for our "Ride Out Against Racism" around London yesterday

God but riding around with loads of other bikes was awesome! Fun day out BUT must remember sunscreen when wearing an open faced helmet doh

Loads of pics on my instagram >>> @ms_mctofu if you fancy a gander of the ride out :)