Looking at a bike someone is flipping opinions

goat

So a decent looking Tdm 850 came up on gumtree near me. Priced at £1250. Didn't get to see it as someone got in before me. Turns out the guy who bought it did so to flip it. He's listed it on eBay at £1899. I've confirmed with the original seller it's the same bike, he was told guy was buying it for a mate.

Seeing if I can confirm what he paid for it. I'm off to see it tomorrow, if it's good how would you play it in yes f offers and the like. Also how would you feel about the situation generally.

If he bought it for a mutually agreed price and then can sell it straight away at a profit then that's what the market can bear.

If you make an offer and he won't accept... and then a time later he's still trying to sell (because the market won't bear his price) then offer again and see what happens :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

If he bought it for a mutually agreed price and then can sell it straight away at a profit then that's what the market can bear.

If you make an offer and he won't accept... and then a time later he's still trying to sell (because the market won't bear his price) then offer again and see what happens :wink:

Welcome back sans....how ya been

And welcome back !

Go to see it and use the fact that one very similar if not identical sold recently for far less.

Far enough to buy and sell things if you can make something in the process, but it's also fair enough for you to use the same as a means of haggling.

One thing that would concern me about this is that the new owner has no real idea what state the machine is in..

Anyway, what year is it? If it's '96 or before then be wary of "stretching"/wearing inlet valves, they'll need replacing come ~35K miles and they're not cheap. Rich running is usually due to worn emulsion tubes, worth humming and harrring over, maybe sucking in through your teeth a bit.. Could be low on compression mate.. Yamaha and their wet liners don't you know mate..

It's a 99, 22500ish miles. Previous owner had it 4 years. Has an advisory for a juddery front disc, few cosmetic blemishes but I expect that. Will give it a look and may bid him on it. Generally looks a good honest bike. It was underpriced before but looks overpriced now. Hoping to meet at a sensible middle that seems him a profit but stays close to my budget.

is it the silver and gold one in Ipswich [mention]goat[/mention] ? does look a nice bike.

he's obviously a trader , bid him what you think its worth.

is it the silver and gold one in Ipswich @goat ? does look a nice bike.

he's obviously a trader , bid him what you think its worth.

That's it. Yeah looks alright I think, ticks my boxes so will see what happens.

A '99 should be fairly bulletproof, you'll get the later valves and a nicer/stronger gearbox. He doesn't need to know that though.

Front discs are a constant pain, they love to warp - something to do with the 10 (?) bobbin design as opposed to the 6-ish that get used since. Nice bargaining point, could be expensive to fix as you have to replace them, there's no way to "fix" them.

Ended up a dead loss. Went to see it. Bike is nice, just a good honest, not messed about bike. Few marks here and there but looks generally straight. Got chatting to the guy and It turns out he didn't buy it from the guy on gumtree at the weekend, in fact he knew nothing about that; he bought it off his mate who is a dealer and assumed it was a trade in.

So seems his trader mate bought it for £1250, sold it to this guy for £1600 (keeping the exhaust system in the process) and now this guy is selling on ebay for £1895. He wouldn't budge on price so no good to me in the end. He did look a little peeved that his mate has flipped it to him for £350 profit and kept the exhaust system though.

Onwards and sideways.

Honestly that is ridiculous money for an 850, you could have the 900 for that and not have wearing carbs, occasionally massive oil consumption and the 900 has a further improved gearbox. Silly.

Ended up a dead loss. Went to see it. Bike is nice, just a good honest, not messed about bike. Few marks here and there but looks generally straight. Got chatting to the guy and It turns out he didn't buy it from the guy on gumtree at the weekend, in fact he knew nothing about that; he bought it off his mate who is a dealer and assumed it was a trade in.

So seems his trader mate bought it for £1250, sold it to this guy for £1600 (keeping the exhaust system in the process) and now this guy is selling on ebay for £1895. He wouldn't budge on price so no good to me in the end. He did look a little peeved that his mate has flipped it to him for £350 profit and kept the exhaust system though.

Onwards and sideways.

Reminds me of the saying that thy sins shall find thee out. So his mate got rumbled and it turns out he is trying the same trick himself.