Bike or not to bike?

wannars125

Help!

I don’t know whether to get a bike or not. My existing bike is good for the scrap and has been off the road for around 18months.

As with a lot life has taken over and I wasn’t getting to use it as much and I don’t know if it’s worth getting another one only to take it out a handful of times a year.

Help me justify or avoid it...

Would you use it?

Do you miss it?

Would it be useful or just fun?

Did it make you itch to ride it?

I’ve not been able to ride my bike for about three weeks because I have been trying to fix it around other responsibilities and I am absolutely desperate to ride it again. I don’t tend to pleasure ride but commute on it and without commuting would not get to use it as much and that would leave a hole in my life. I love my bike, I love riding it, looking at it and if I have time playing spanner’s with it.

Conversely, my other great passion is climbing. I used to climb 3+ days a week, indoors and out, I have been on several holidays just to climb ice and mountains. I miss it but cannot fit it in so easily at the moment with how old the kids are. Buying more kit would not get me prioritising it at the moment. I look forwards to it in the future but no point spending money on it at the moment and as hard as that is I have to make peace with it.

I’ve always wanted to be good at running, I once got to the stage that I could run a few miles. But never really made it a part of who I am. I might get into it sometime but no point in spending money. Not having good kit is not what stops me.

This may not be the best place to ask if you should get a bike :lol:

How bad is your current one? is it better to restore that to rideable condition?

The old one is knackered. Terrible corrosion pretty much all round. Would cost a small fortune and the engine has 88k on the clock. It would end up a bit of a triggers broomstick!

I think what I’m looking for ideally is for someone that doesn’t ride so regularly to tell me why they still have a bike.

Would you use it?

Do you miss it?

Would it be useful or just fun?

Did it make you itch to ride it?

I’ve not been able to ride my bike for about three weeks because I have been trying to fix it around other responsibilities and I am absolutely desperate to ride it again. I don’t tend to pleasure ride but commute on it and without commuting would not get to use it as much and that would leave a hole in my life. I love my bike, I love riding it, looking at it and if I have time playing spanner’s with it.

Conversely, my other great passion is climbing. I used to climb 3+ days a week, indoors and out, I have been on several holidays just to climb ice and mountains. I miss it but cannot fit it in so easily at the moment with how old the kids are. Buying more kit would not get me prioritising it at the moment. I look forwards to it in the future but no point spending money on it at the moment and as hard as that is I have to make peace with it.

I’ve always wanted to be good at running, I once got to the stage that I could run a few miles. But never really made it a part of who I am. I might get into it sometime but no point in spending money. Not having good kit is not what stops me.

It would be just for fun. Maybe the odd Sunday morning before everyone has woken up on a sunny day. I could live without it but on those few occasions over the summer I would miss it but they would be few and far between.

I guess my biking situation is much like your climbing

If you don't ride frequently, get one that doesn't need too much maintenance, maybe look for something older that it tax and mot exempt that is easy to keep without any complicated electrics and easy to keep clean :thumb:

It's always a good idea to have more than one if one of them is out of service and can't be ridden :thumb:

I did have two in the garage but sold the second a couple of weeks ago due to costs to get it past mot. That and I just didn’t like it very much!

If you don't ride frequently, get one that doesn't need too much maintenance, maybe look for something older that it tax and mot exempt that is easy to keep without any complicated electrics and easy to keep clean :thumb:

I’m looking at a 2009 bandit. The old bike is a bandit too also I have some bits I can use for it. It’s up for sale at just over 2k and only has 15k on the clock so wouldn’t expect any major issues. General maintenance I can do myself having had my old one

Sounds a solid reliable choice :thumb:

How do you keep it stored, do you have a garage? That really helps keep it in better condition especially if you aren't riding it daily

Having pondered your dilemma and given it serious consideration my advice is to join the Crochet Guild and take up the exciting sport of crafting covers for toilet rolls.

If this sounds attractive to you then don't buy another bike.

If on the other hand this does not appeal then you know you need to have an underused, irresponsible, noisy, and expensive machine in your possession.

Sounds a solid reliable choice :thumb:

How do you keep it stored, do you have a garage? That really helps keep it in better condition especially if you aren't riding it daily

Yeah it’ll be garaged and will only be ridden in good weather so should remain in good condition. Feel a bit bad for the old one, got properly used and abused!

Presumably if you had a few mil burning a home in your back pocket you'd buy one? I don't know your finances. I guess if you can easily afford one then crack on, otherwise prioritise elsewhere.

The bandit sounds like a good bike for the money.

I would buy it. You are going to look after it. Won't have a ton of money tied up in it. And worse case scenario, later could sell it if you really don't want it later on.

Bikes like that are always in demand as commuters. You could sell it for pretty much what you paid for it.

Okay, I don't commute on a bike and ride purely for fun. It's my stress reliever and if I want it my adrenaline generator. Can't envisage giving it up until I literally am physically unable to ride.

[mention]wannars125[/mention] for a while where I worked I had a company financed car, was working long hours and so in some years was only putting 100 to 200 miles on the bike. I kept it just for the chance of a ride out to clear my head.

I was glad I did it helped during stressful times. Now, up till recently, the bike gets used a lot.

But it’s your choice, you need to ask yourself “do I enjoy getting out on the bike or is it just a chore and I would rather watch TV”. Only you can answer that. On hear I think we would all say keep a bike, and a bandit (1250) would be a good choice, but I am biased. :lol:

If you didn't use your previous Bandit much.......I don't know why you'd consider getting another Bandit?

Surely in a few years time you'll be in the same position with that?

My advice (if you decide to get one) is to get a totally different type of bike......possibly more offroad based, so you'd potentially be using it in a very different way.

But you've got to ask yourself....."Do I really want to ride?".....because unless you really have that desire, you're just throwing money away.

Well to me the only thing better than owning a motorbike is sex!! :lol: I personally couldn't imagine life without a bike ....

Well at least when you've ridden a bike you don't have to wipe your cock in the curtains.