Official Olivers Mount Road Racing Thread

thebendyfox

OLIVERS MOUNT ROAD RACING - SCARBROUGH

http://www.oliversmountracing.com

http://www.auto66.com

What is it?

Oliver’s Mount road race circuit is England’s only natural ‘road’ race track. Situated just five minutes from Scarborough’s town centre, the races have been likened to a ‘miniature TT by the seaside’. Edge of your seat racing, the closest action seen at any race venue, friendly locals and a stunning setting are all key features of a race weekend at Oliver’s Mount. Importantly, for the racers, the 2.43 mile track has always been regarded as a challenging, tight and twisty circuit, which tests their skills to the maximum.

Never heard of it...

The rider list of former Oliver’s Mount winners is like a ‘who’s who’ of motorcycle racing history.

Cecil Sandford, Geoff Duke, John Surtees, Bob McIntyre, Mike Hailwood, Phil Read, Giacomo Agostini, Klaus Enders, Jarno Saarinen, Kent Andersson, Takazumi Katayama, Mick Grant, Barry Sheene, George O’Dell, Jock Taylor, Wayne Gardner, Joey Dunlop, Steve Hislop, Robert Dunlop, Carl Fogarty, James Whitham, Ian Lougher, David Jefferies, Dave Molyneux, Nick Crowe, Guy Martin, Ryan Farquhar, John McGuiness and Ian Hutchinson have all raced at

Oliver’s Mount over the years and stood on top of the podium.

2016 ROAD RACING EVENTS

The Spring Cup Bob Smith Trophy Road Races: 16th/17th April

The Cock O'The North Continental Road Races: 18th/19th June

The Barry Sheene Road Races: 23rd/24th July

The Steve Henshaw International Gold Cup: 24th/25th September

FAQs

Looks great! How much?

Two day tickets are £40 (Cock o' North and Barry Sheen) or £50 (Spring Cup and GOld Cup), plus £10 per night per pitch camping (or £15 for a motorhome). Food and drink are avaliable to buy throughout the weekend, though you can bring your own. Basically - its fantastic value when you consider that the bikes are on track from 9am-5pm each day through practice, qualifying and races.

Whats the camping like?

Everything you need and plenty of space (though I would advise arriving on the Friday afternoon). There are also plenty of trade and food/drink stalls for sustenance. There is also a bar, with live music on both the Friday and Saturdays nights of most events. For the experienced campers (oooh matroon etc...) you can bring BBQs, but no open fires are allowed.,

HOWEVER - You can only book camping in advance - details in the links above

Can you only camp if you are on the bike?

Not in the slightest. Plenty of campers (like myself) arrive in the car as they can get more gear, even better if you can persuade a friend to form the advance party in a car or van! Its extremely friendly, so any issues with bikes or gear can be easily resolved - I usually end up putting tents up for people less acquainted with the ol' canvas, rods and guy ropes.

I'm allergic to camping (or a massive wuss)...is there any hotels or BNBs nearby?

Scarbrough town center is a five minute drive away and is fairly bulging with BnBs and Hotels. Though the summer events fall in the high season so i would book well in advance.

The weather...can we talk about the weather?

Pot luck I am afraid. Though I have been lucky. The marshals do a fantastic job in getting the track ready and above all - safe after a rainburst, and since the track is basically stuck on a hillside it can be exposed - so taking a waterproof warm jacket and stout boots is advised. But keep your fingers crossed.

Whats the deal with trackside?

Take your pick...and a chair! You can scout out a spot and stay there for the duration, or move around through the days! I would always advise the latter to get the full experience. But make sure you wear stout shoes as some of the paths and hills can be hard going (Access to Mere Hairpin, Home straight, Farm Bends, Bottom Straight and Jefferies). Though the Esses, Back Straight, top of Sheenes Rise and Drurys Hairpin are all easily accessible and flat for those hard of walking.

Is it family friendly?

Extremely. My 5-yr old was with us last year and loved it.

Will we see the stars?

The bigger names tend to stick to the Spring Cup and Gold Cup events, but the other events are well worth a watch as some of the big names do show up, especially if they are coming back after a break or testing new gear. If you book tickets well in advance, you may well get paddock passes, so you can get even closer to the garages.

What is there apart from the racing?

You mean apart from the bar? Well two if the 2016 events are paired with owners rallies International European Bike Rally at Cock o' North and International Japanese Bike Rally at the Barry Sheene event. These usually come with parade laps, exhibitions etc There are also trade stalls, as well as hundreds of other friendly owners to chat to.

https://youtu.be/2ilfzp2gJk4

My and the wife are attending the Cock o North and Gold Cup in 2016, and I hope to see some of you there :cheers: Any questions, queries or comments please fire away :thumb:

Edited by thebendyfox

It's a scary [strikeout]track[/strikeout] road to ride let alone race!

watching people race on it is pretty awesome! especially if you manage to ride the road before hand!

PS your spoiler isn't working for some reason!! I will look in to it for you

Edit: There seems to be a conflict with between the youtube code and the spoiler code!! putting the youtube video after your spoiler seems to work :?

• 4 months later...

31 Days until Cock o' North :D

I'm arriving by train (advance party :lol: ) with tent, kettle and a few tins on the Friday afternoon and will be available for tent-erection and beer-drinking support should it be required.

Stu's right about it being bloody scary.

The death toll is not good.

On a lighter note.

Should have seen r lasses face getting off the bike at the cafe.....lol. And that was only tootling.

• 4 weeks later...