Nothing new in MotoGP

Guest Gautrek

Look at this MV from the 70's

1480542_10154038839224110_2615313796978186731_n.jpg?oh=c6a06bd92591b29cd13ee7089de7dabc&oe=5783C67E

Or this Yam from about the same time

http://www.classicyams.com/images/stories/productionracers/TZ750/AerofoilTZ750/aerotz750asrrsm.jpg

http://www.classicyams.com/images/stories/productionracers/TZ750/AerofoilTZ750/aerotz750asfrsm.jpg

There is nothing new in the world is there

I don't understand the point of the wings. Surely they will work in a straight line while the bike is upright. But unlike a car a bike leans over in a corner so don't the wings help push the front wheel away in a bend?

I don't understand the point of the wings. Surely they will work in a straight line while the bike is upright. But unlike a car a bike leans over in a corner so don't the wings help push the front wheel away in a bend?

I would say the wings are there to add some extra down force onto the front whilst the bike is banked over, this will allow the rider to power out of the corner harder, normally if you power to hard out of a corner the front will lighten up and in most cases break away. I see no benefits using the wings down the straights or on the brakes, l think it's all to do with keeping the front loaded whilst in the turn

Personally think they ruin the look of the bikes and I don't like them one bit.

Obviously they have a use or they wouldn't be there, although Vale has said he hasn't noticed a difference.

I hope Dorna ban the wings ASAP, similar to the move they've taken to Moto 2 and 3.

I can see them working to hold the front down, or produce more traction for later braking, but they wont work (in my mind) when banked over...

personally i think they are there to disrupt the airflow so that any bike trying to slipstream will be in dirty, turbulent air, and so not be able to slip past so easily.

What Guatrek is saying is that most people of a certain age, including me, think these wings are a new thing,

I'm amazed to see them on bikes going back 40 years! They obviously got rid of them for whatever reason, so I can't understand why they've brought them back.

I think they are dangerous. Have you seen how close they are to riders when leant over?

I think they are dangerous. Have you seen how close they are to riders when leant over?

Another good reason to have them - intimidate the other riders so they are less likely to pass on a corner.

No mate you want these bringing back,

NSU_Rennmax_Delphinverkleidung.jpg

Then if there is any blocking you can just spear the offending rider. These are called Dolphin Fairings