Trackdays

Quick guide to trackdays.

The pinned one dosnt really cover alot and dosnt really answer any questions.

Booking.....

There is a few trackday organisers, nolimits trackdays/msv trackdays/focused events are the most popular (probaly in that order to).

Nolimits and msv have dates more suited to the 1st time trackday rider.

Msv offer novice only days and road bike only days.

Licences, any msv owned track requires a full A licence or ACU licence.

I have seen people book with A2 licence and then sit all day while their mates ride round. No refunds.

Any other track should be ok. Ive heard you can get on with no licence provided you can ride a bike.

Best phone nolimits and ask about the track.

They are a freindly bunch.

Novice only is as the title says just for novice riders, people who have no or very little track experience.

They put cones out so you can see the tip in point/apex and have extra breifings throughout the day. 3 groups/7x20min sessions

Road bike only is bikes with road tyres, lights and a mot.

No tyre warmers its for people who want to ride their commuter bike without the close passing of dave on his racing blade. 3 groups/7x20min sessions

Standard trackday.

3 groups and 7 x20min sessions.

Novice/inters/advance.

Anything from scooters to middle aged bloke on his GS complete with panniers to people like guymartin on his tyco bmw.

Open pitlane.

As above but no groups, confident inters/advance only.

You can enter the track anytime the circuit is open.

Evening.

Two groups. Novice/inters and inters/advance.

3x20min sessions 1x15 session.

Run like a standered day but only 2 groups and only 20min between sessions.

Typical day.

A normal day starts with turning up to the circuit and finding somewhere to set up.

You need to sign on at the track, this means taking your bike licence to the signing on area, filling in a form and been issued a wrist band.

The band shows you have signed in and what group you are in.

Then its off for noise testing. Diffrent tracks have diffrent noise levels, it ranges from 98db to 105db. If your bike fails dont worry, take it back to where you set up and get it hot, take it back and get re tested.

If your tested with a baffle in DO NOT remove it after or its hometime. Their getting quite strict with this.

Then its of to the safety breifing.

Everybody has to attend, even rossi. They take you through what the flags mean/ track etiquette/ schedule for the day.

You will be issued another wristband to show you attended it.

Tracktime.

The 1st session will consist of 3 sighting laps.

Everybody must do them. There slow and just give you a feel for the track/where the marshall posts are.

Theres no overtaking on the sighting laps.

Msv will bring you in after 3 laps and then send you straight out.

Nolimits let you stay out.

The only downside to this is you might not know where to leave the track.

Then you get 6 more sessions for the day and a hour for lunch.

Gear.

You will need leathers, either 1 piece or 2 piece zip together.

Motorcycle gloves and boots and a helmet.

Now this should have a acu gold sticker on. Mine dosnt, i asked nobody was bothered and ive not died.

Bike.

Any bike will do. Ive seen a twist and go at cadwell before.

No need to to tape lights up or remove mirrors if you dont want to but probaly best to fold them in so your not tempted to look behind you.

The only thing you really need to do is let some air out of the tyres.

About 5psi, some say 10psi but what your looking for is about a 4/5psi gain from a cold tyre.

So when you come of track check the psi and see if its climbed back up.

The aim of the game is fun. Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

Misc.

Take plenty of water and eat throughout the day. If you have a big lunch you will pay in the afternoon sessions.

Tyres

Any tyre will do right up to advance group.

Make sure there in good condition

Warmers

Only needed if your running track focused tyres.

If you put road tyres in them they will overheat.

Extras

If you can take a roll of duct tape and some tiewraps just incase the worst happens.

If your bike burns oil take extra to top up.

Take enough petrol to last the day. I use about 30ltrs a day. Petrol is available at most circuits.

Everyone ive met trackside has been golden, if you need help ask someone.

If anyone has a questions or anything to add feel free.

https://nolimitstrackdays.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike.aspx?page=3#calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crashing.......

Just incase

Track is way safer then the road but crashing happens.

Normaly on a track if you come off the bike slides and theres very littel damage, scraped fairings and bust levers normaly.

Just to put this in perspective, i crashed on a fast corner 90ish and taped the fairings together and went back out.

A friend crashed on the road at 50mph and bent everything on his bike.

Both crashes was the bike sliding but theres no kerbs or posts to hit in the track.

If you do crash you loose your wristband and are only allowed back out after the medics look you over.

Edited by cockercas

thank you that is useful :thumb:

few questions: Do I need to bring my road bike MOT certificate?

About: The only thing you really need to do is let some air out of the tyres.

My owners manual say to inflate the tyres more if you ride faster. Why you are doing the opposite on the track?

Finally why is not ok to look at your mirrors on the track?

Nice info there Cocker!

Valko - No MOT is required for the track. All you need to take is the paperwork from the company and your license.

Putting higher pressures in your tyres makes them deform less as you roll along which is desirable for high speed straight line stuff. On track you'll have the bike cranked right over in the corners so want the tyres to deform a bit to give you a larger contact patch so lowering the pressures a bit is desirable. Plus, because you'll be putting loads of heat in the tyre with continual heavy acceleration, braking and cornering, the pressures will increase naturally by a few PSI. For example; if I run road tyres (PR4) I adjust the pressures from 36/42 F/R to 30/36.

For mirrors, you really don't need them as your full concentration should be what's ahead of you. You don't need to worry about what's behind you - it's up to the rider following you to give you space. It's also worth putting tape over your speedo or you'll end up spending too much time looking at it!

Additionally, I have RaceChrono loaded on an old phone that I keep in my pocket so I can get my lap times and telemetry.

thank you that is useful :thumb:

few questions: Do I need to bring my road bike MOT certificate?

About: The only thing you really need to do is let some air out of the tyres.

My owners manual say to inflate the tyres more if you ride faster. Why you are doing the opposite on the track?

Finally why is not ok to look at your mirrors on the track?

No need to bring the mot with you.

I wasnt 100% sure because ive never done one so i looked into it.

No daylight mot so your not going to be on track with a trackbike with a horn and reg plate.

Intrestingly i found cbt users are welcome to, il assume on any other track but ones owned by msv because they insist on a full A licence.

Letting the air out the tyres causes the carcuss of the tyre to move around.

This genatates heat into the carcuss of the tyre not just the bit in contact with the tarmac.

Also the faster you ride the more the tyre is worked, that creates heat and as a result the psi increases.

If you run with road pressures then the tyre will tear.

The tyre will be overinflated meaning that the bit of rubber in contact with the track overheats and it shreds that part of the tyre in no time. The rubber is literally ripped from the tyre, this is known as a cold tear.

Its dosnt matter whats behind you on track, you need to concentrate 100% on what you are doing.

Even just a quick glance at something can see you miss the brake/tip in point or run wide/end up on the grass.

Its the responsibility of the rider behind to pass safely.