Isle of man races

If you want to go next you better get a move on ferry places are at a premium most are already booked up as well as accommodation. We only just managed to get on our normal camp site thats now already booked up. It's not cheap to get there in fact its a stupid price for a bike crossing, you can can across the channel uptean times for the price, what l will say is this there's no experience like it on the planet it's got to be done once, a tee shirt well worth getting. Regarding risk of theft your on a island, so highly unlikely as its full of bikers not thieves and robbers. Get it booked.

I was born over there and still have family there with land I'm planning on going next year not taking bike but could probably arrange camping on land if interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES! TMBF CAMPING ONLY, and gin to do tshirts? :mrgreen:

Leave it with me I'll give my grandad a call tomorrow see what I can sort out! He used to rent the flats out at tt but alcohol and bikers and recent refurbished flats wasn't a good idea lol the field is definitely worth it though it's trackside aswell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're serious about going, book a ferry now on the Steam Packet website. Pay the deposit and the balance is due in February. What I've done in the past is book ANY crossing then after the end of February adjust the timings online to suit when I want to go. The problem is that thousands book their crossings in June and when the balance is due in February loads drop out and these bookings go back out on sale. Of course you could simply wait until March and take your chances. Security wise, the TT is probably the safest place to leave you bike. I've never bothered with security. Accommodation is expensive but I've used homestay the last two times I've been. Camping is an option but as in the case of 2012, you could get flooded out. If you do choose to camp what a lot of people do is mail their camping gear over beforehand and post it back afterwards, saves on carrying loads of stuff on your bike. The TT forum I posted earlier in the thread has people advertising accommodation. The official TT website also has a list of accommodation and campsites: http://www.iomtt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then there's the question of when to go. I've done practice week and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The roads are quieter and there tends to be less nutcases on the island compared with race week. Saying that, I've also done race week, the atmosphere is electric on the island and of course seeing the races live is awesome. Or do both weeks. With regards to riding the course, the mountain section is one way during the fortnight and has no speed limit. There are some short sections elsewhere that are the same but most of the course is speed restricted. Stick to the limits in these sections, if you're caught the police WILL throw the book at you. Don't restrict yourself to the TT circuit though there are some beautiful places elsewhere on the island to visit and some of the roads in the south of the island are excellent (such as the S100 course).

It's an expensive trip but is worth it? Damn straight it is!

Here's a video I made of my last visit there in 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhRq78Wnhjg

• 4 weeks later...

love the tt but not been for 4yrs now since the introduction of the classic tt,i personally prefer the classic and would recommend it as a cheaper and more relaxed option but if ya can afford it DO BOTH you,ll love it

• 1 month later...
...ferry places are at a premium most are already booked up

This will explain why I can't get a price for one.

Hmm.

Looks like I'll scrub this as an idea then.

There's a web page on waste book for ticket swops and sales. All advance tickets have to be paid in full by the end of Feb. Keep your finger on the pulse a bunch of cancellation will become available after then

Ferry crossings will be available in the coming months guaranteed , I've known people to book a week before as I was going to do last yr but at over double the price for the classic it just isn't worth it unless you've never been and are really hooked on road racing,for me better options are the classic or scarborough if you've never seen real road racing,,but having said that the tt is fecking awesome so it comes down to what your prepared to pay coz steam packet are certainly on a winner price wise

Whats the rough prices for taking a bike and a weeks stay?

I was going to go this year, but I probably wont be on a big bike so I'm thinking of next year already :).

Also Mawsley you could try booking in March?

In the past I was unable to go because of work, so this is the first time I'm toying with the idea. Seems like it's about a tenner a night for camping - but with no quotes from the Steam Packet, no idea about ferry.

Was planning on four nights, but I'm an impromptu kind of person and hate to be tied down. I remember a time when you could simply rock up to places and buy tickets for things. Having to pre-arrange the finest details and smash the F5 key simply pisses me off - I'll be going somewhere else instead. Either Highlands or off to find sun.

Ferry crossings will be available in the coming months guaranteed , I've known people to book a week before as I was going to do last yr but at over double the price for the classic it just isn't worth it unless you've never been and are really hooked on road racing,for me better options are the classic or scarborough if you've never seen real road racing,,but having said that the tt is fecking awesome so it comes down to what your prepared to pay coz steam packet are certainly on a winner price wise

You've summed me up perfectly there :mrgreen:, I was going to do the NW200 but I'd rather wait and do the TT. It'll be in 12 months time though as I've got a busy year this year. I assume if I book quite early it's going to be cheaper? I'll book next years as soon as possible.

Whats the rough prices for taking a bike and a weeks stay?

I was going to go this year, but I probably wont be on a big bike so I'm thinking of next year already :).

Also Mawsley you could try booking in March?

In the past I was unable to go because of work, so this is the first time I'm toying with the idea. Seems like it's about a tenner a night for camping - but with no quotes from the Steam Packet, no idea about ferry.

Was planning on four nights, but I'm an impromptu kind of person and hate to be tied down. I remember a time when you could simply rock up to places and buy tickets for things. Having to pre-arrange the finest details and smash the F5 key simply pisses me off - I'll be going somewhere else instead. Either Highlands or off to find sun.

I'll be doing a little over a week when I go, when I eventually get over it'll be the day before the first race and the Sunday after the last race I'd come home.

doesn't matter how early you book the price will be the same,if you book this yr for nxt you just pay a deposit until they decide how hard to squeeze your bollocks