Look out !! Belly pan ...

Six30

This is a quote from the rider, I'm not sure on the source but it was posted on reddit;

Clearly we live in a world where people cannot be left to make their own decisions and must have their hand held through life.

It’s sickening to think that Trackday Organisers are all to quick to prevent you from joining the circuit if your noise level is 1db above the set limit but will not check to see if the machines themselves are fit for purpose.

03/06/2017 could of easily been my last day due to the faults of another person. This incident was caused by carelessness from the owner of the Yellow ZX10R. Properly fastened and secured bodywork doesn’t ‘fall off’. The bellypan made impact with my head at speeds easily exceeding 140mph. I was knocked unconscious immediately, allowing my body to fall back and drape off the side of the bike.

Luckily, I have no memory of the incident, only that I had left pitlane and woke up in hospital with blurred vision coupled with seeing different colours in each eye. All I have is a totalled bike and some videos to put meaning to the mess.

Had I of stayed attached to the bike upon impact, I doubt I’d be sharing this with you now. I doubt the Trackday Organisers will ever scrutinise machinery, they are covered against loss of life in their Terms and Conditions, it’s not in their interest to hold the hands of those who cannot help themselves.

I have been extremely fortunate to come away from the crash without serious injury. I will certainly never do a Trackday again. I’ll stick with the Official BSB Tests and respectable Club Racing Organisations where machines are checked for safety prior to riding!

I’d like to say thankyou to whoever pulled up after the incident, even though it also puts yourselves in danger.

The aim of a trackdays is to provide you with the opportunity to use your machine at speed in a ‘safe’ environment. Poor judgement could end someone’s life.

This is a quote from the rider, I'm not sure on the source but it was posted on reddit;

Daily Mail-esque alarmist waffle.

Sounds like a bit of a whinger to me.

Clearly we live in a world where people cannot be left to make their own decisions and must have their hand held through life.

It’s sickening to think that Trackday Organisers are all to quick to prevent you from joining the circuit if your noise level is 1db above the set limit but will not check to see if the machines themselves are fit for purpose.

03/06/2017 could of easily been my last day due to the faults of another person. This incident was caused by carelessness from the owner of the Yellow ZX10R. Properly fastened and secured bodywork doesn’t ‘fall off’. The bellypan made impact with my head at speeds easily exceeding 140mph. I was knocked unconscious immediately, allowing my body to fall back and drape off the side of the bike.

Luckily, I have no memory of the incident, only that I had left pitlane and woke up in hospital with blurred vision coupled with seeing different colours in each eye. All I have is a totalled bike and some videos to put meaning to the mess.

Had I of stayed attached to the bike upon impact, I doubt I’d be sharing this with you now. I doubt the Trackday Organisers will ever scrutinise machinery, they are covered against loss of life in their Terms and Conditions, it’s not in their interest to hold the hands of those who cannot help themselves.

I have been extremely fortunate to come away from the crash without serious injury. I will certainly never do a Trackday again. I’ll stick with the Official BSB Tests and respectable Club Racing Organisations where machines are checked for safety prior to riding!

I’d like to say thankyou to whoever pulled up after the incident, even though it also puts yourselves in danger.

The aim of a trackdays is to provide you with the opportunity to use your machine at speed in a ‘safe’ environment. Poor judgement could end someone’s life.

That is from the rider.

He races in the bsb superstock class.

Yeah I'm with the rider on this one.

If your bike is dropping shit all over the road and not safe it will be hauled off by someone pretty damn quick. Track riding should be no different.

Yeah I'm with the rider on this one.

If your bike is dropping shit all over the road and not safe it will be hauled off by someone pretty damn quick. Track riding should be no different.

I'm not with the rider on this one.

I doubt the pan impacted at 140mph+, that would require the rider doing that speed 1/4 of the way along the back straight and the pan being stationary but that's nit picking.

If we had to go through scruitneering at a track day then the days would be massively expensive with fewer riders or you'd only get about 3 sessions after all the bikes had been done.

The pan could easily have failed due to fatigue caused during that session alone - the stresses placed on components at a brisk track pace are massive so unless the zx10 owner was obviously negligent by leaving a load of screws out then I don't think they can reasonably be held accountable.

Ultimately, the knocked out rider knew the risks associated with track riding and agreed to the terms and conditions like we all do.

Riders do get flagged if they ride like a nob or if there is an obvious fault with their bike. It's just one of those things such as failing body work, popped tyres or an engine crapping oil over the track that we accept is a possibility when we do a track day.

Would the rider have made such a fuss if someone had tried to stick it up the inside at Brundle and had him off?

What happened was unfortunate but did not warrant the diatribe that the injured rider dispensed.

What a moaning big girls blouse.

Wants all the fun of track riding with zero risk and chucks his toys out the pram blaming the organisers.

Yeh ... Now if he'd of upskilled he'd of missed that belly pan, tut tut .