First track day?

bonio

I'm thinking of signing up for this road-bike-only track day at Donnington Park in August:

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2018/aug/17-dp-rbo/

I like the idea of the road bike only tihng as they sound a lot more relaxed that general trackdays; even novice-only days sound like they're aimed at proto racers on sports bikes. Whereas I'm looking for something for a short old geezer on a Beemer. Looks like this is the nearest thing :D

Any tips? Any advice? Any last wishes?

If I'd have known about this about 6 months in advance I would have 100% done this with you :( sounds perfect for me too. I'm dying to get on a track but have many reservations.

Next year Beefy. I'll buy you a burger.

They are great fun and you will learn a lot. Might be worth paying for one of the instruction circuits as this will correct some of the errors and give you more confidence. See my write up of the Ron Haslam track session I did back in April.

They are great fun and you will learn a lot. Might be worth paying for one of the instruction circuits as this will correct some of the errors and give you more confidence. See my write up of the Ron Haslam track session I did back in April.

Cheers, that sounds like a good tip. I read your write - ta - very useful :thumb:

I'm thinking of signing up for this road-bike-only track day at Donnington Park in August:

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2018/aug/17-dp-rbo/

I like the idea of the road bike only tihng as they sound a lot more relaxed that general trackdays; even novice-only days sound like they're aimed at proto racers on sports bikes. Whereas I'm looking for something for a short old geezer on a Beemer. Looks like this is the nearest thing :D

Any tips? Any advice? Any last wishes?

I'm booked onto this day :thumb:

I did my first one there last year, an instructor I know (not at Donington) gave me 3 tips, don't go nuts on your first lap of each session, let 10 psi out your tyres, & don't get shedded the night before :lol:

MSVTBOOKING.thumb.jpg.5b87c55ff1fb227ba1b00a9496047d81.jpg

Alright Bonio.

You might be surprised by a "road bike only" day - an awful lot of people turn up with their bikes on trailers. :-)

I've done a few noddy days - most recent was last year with a mate who wanted to get on track before his wife forced him (against his will) to sell his Nissan GTR.

Personally, I found the noddy days waaaaay more relaxed than any other type because almost all of the people actually are novices. You still get Mr Big Bollocks who gives it large in the paddock and then laps like he got stabilisers but that's part of the fun.

On the subject of paddocks - on noddy days you actually have a chance of getting in them - anything else and it gets really hierarchical and a pain in the arse.

Noddy days often have a bit of free tuition in the paddocks too. Things like what lines to take on track, body positioning etc...

Any reason you're not doing Snetterton? I rate that as the top beginner track as it's long, wide, has loads of run off and great fun. Also it's quite close to you.

Are you sure this is a good idea.. just a few weeks before the off? ("off" being the word du jour)

It had crossed my mind, but I reckon the chances of binning the bike are really very very low. I'm too old and too cautious to go crazy crazy. And it sounds loads safer than the nurlblingring.

Cheers [mention]Mr Fro[/mention].

I'd thought about a noddy day, and they look great, as they set up visible markers for you and everything. But I thought it would be all guys arriving with sports bikes on trailers :? I hadn't thought it might actually be the other way round. And for sure Snetterton would be a lot easier to get to.

Ok, I'll take another look and read up a bit more. Sorry [mention]Tankbag[/mention] - might not see you there after all. If I don't go, it would be great to read how you got on there.

Some do arrive with trailers and vans but far fewer than road bike days in my experience.

I still prefer the atmosphere of noddy days over any other. You get all sorts of people on all sorts of bikes and can get a good chat on. :-)

No worries [mention]bonio[/mention] I may not be there anyway depending on if I get a hernia op before, but hopefully the ops afterwards, I had a great time last year, I didn't get strung up on being the fastest & tried so feckin hard to get my knee down :oops: which is why I've paid for the tuition on the day :thumb:

• 1 month later...

I'm doing a novice only track day at Cadwell Park on the 17th any advice?

I have done Donnington and snetterton in the past.

Yeah, make sure you line up for the mountain nice and straight. ;-)