On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

First Track Day Advice?

Discuss Moto GP, BSB, WSB and Track Days here!
Forum rules
If you are going to post in this section about live racing events can you please not announce results/info about races in topic headers and add may contain spoilers!

Just use today wsbk/moto gp/bsb etc
Cpt_Tact
Bike(s): XSR 700
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: First Track Day Advice?

Post by Cpt_Tact » Mon May 27, 2019 5:49 pm

I take/ do the following:

A seat is a definite as nothing worse than sitting on the floor.
20ltr of super unleaded fuel + filling funnel
Halfords toolkit that has most things in - I don't take anything special as I feel if it falls outside the Halfords kit then I'm not qualified to do it
Rear paddock stand just to make lubing the chain easier on the lunch break
Tyre pressure gauge and foot pump

Food + Water
2+liters water - keep drinking between sessions (you will pee a lot)
Couple of cans of coke
Sandwich - you don't want anything heavy for lunch as you'll be a little sluggish in the afternoon trying to digest it
Fruit
Haribo snacks
Some chocolate

On the bike:
Brim the tank before going
Check you have a good amount of tread left as tracks are a little more abrasive than roads - pressures for most "road" tyres I'd drop to 32F 30R as a starting point, I started with Roadsmarts 3s and those pressures worked very well
Check you have a good amount of break pads as you will be using them quite a bit
Check oil + fluids the day before
Take your mirrors off if you can, if not tape them up
Make sure everything is tight on the bike
Check the bike isn't leaking oil
Put in the baffle if you have one or the stock can if you have it - nothing worse than being black flagged for pinging the db meter and sitting out the rest of the day

On track:
It is not a race!
It's a novice sessions so you will get people like yourself on their first days, its amazing fun but take it easy
Don't be a d*ck
Don't stuff it up the inside on corners - generally in novice if they are about to tip in its their line and you let them complete the corner
Don't blast past closely on the straights - give at least 6ft
If you do something that is a little "close" apologise
Use the sighting laps to warm up your tyres - don't bother weaving its hard acceleration on the straights and hardish breaking on the straights if you want to get heat in them quickly
There will be some people who are on the cusp of moving up to inters who will be "fast" compared to you, this is perfectly normal
You will get people who should be in inters in novice as the inter group may have filled up before they could book - this is perfectly normal
Use the instructors on the day and ask if they can follow you or you follow them for a few laps for feedback
Be prepared to be blasted on the straights by big cc bikes
Be prepared to have bikes on both sides going past you
Be predictable in your movements (racing line) where possible as it makes it easier for followers to guess roughly what you will do
As the day progresses the speeds will go up as people are more comfortable on the track and have their eye in
If someone does something dangerous around you, let it go and tell the instructors/ marshals - do not go and confront them, if you need to sit out the next session to relax and go grab a coffee

Have a look at YouTube videos of the track you are going to to get an idea on where you are going - honestly this is a massive help!
Use your front brake and forget the rear one to start with
Everything is like a dimmer switch - braking, accelerating, leaning - do not do anything snappy or harsh as it will unsettle the bike and your concentration
Focus on your lines not your speed
Focus on your body position - head and upper body low and looking through the corner first then worry about dragging your knee later, make sure you have a gap between your groin and the tank, loads of videos online, lifeatlearn is very informative or motojujitsu
Focus on points on the circuit for breaking and tip in
If the instructors are running information sessions through the day then go and watch
Use all the track - it doesn't matter that you aren't setting lap records as when your speed increases it will already be in your mind where you are going (and then you will need all the track)
Consistency is the key

You think a 40 minute gap between sessions is long but they fly by
Personally I always found the very last session of the day the silly session as people throw caution to the wind - I nearly always sit this out now and just pack up the van and get ready to leave.

That's my limited opinion on track days, best fun I've ever had on a bike and worth all the money it costs, as a rough guide we estimated £250 a day for all costs excluding bike insurance (track day, hotel night before, fluids, tyres, pads etc, diesel for the van). Additional track day insurance is about £100 for the day, I personally use BeMoto.

Biggest difference was turning my road riding in to easy/ fun rides as all the fast riding was done on the track and not on the road.

Have fun!

Working Class Hero
Bike(s): Honda CBR600F '99
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Working Class Hero » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for that post! A lot of good advice there. I'm still a novice rider in general, but I want to do a track day in the near future, but I need to save up as I'm not taking my own bike!

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Marino » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 am

So how it went
Did you get rid of chicken strips

Noble Dave
Bike(s): Honda CBR 600F 1999
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Noble Dave » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:34 pm

Late reply but ye was amazing defo a new hobby for meself! Shame its £175 a pop or would go more often! Only managed from 0900-1300 then left due to heavy heavy rain, apart from that first part of day was amazing! Confidence on road has improved due to it so if ever a dicky situation happens im more comfortable useing heavier braking and cornering now 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HONDA CBR 600F 1999

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3656 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Post by Richzx6r » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm

What track did you do? Glad you enjoyed it
Its better when its loaded

Noble Dave
Bike(s): Honda CBR 600F 1999
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Noble Dave » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Oulton park pal, was amazing just wish stayed dry all day as everytime went out was faster and lower!
HONDA CBR 600F 1999

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3656 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Post by Richzx6r » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm

I'd love to do oulton park, either there or Croft is my next port of call for a track day
Its better when its loaded

Return to “Racing and Track Days”