How much fuel do I need?

Discuss Moto GP, BSB, WSB and Track Days here!
Forum rules
If you are going to post in this section about live racing events can you please not announce results/info about races in topic headers and add may contain spoilers!

Just use today wsbk/moto gp/bsb etc
Pbassred
Bike(s): Honda VFR800 Vtec, Previous; Honda CBR500R
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 79 times

How much fuel do I need?

Post by Pbassred »

I'm not actually doing a track day but going a training event at a track - a CSS cornering course. They say arrive with a full tank. That gives me 300 miles. Could I possible burn more than that?
If there isn't enough lubricant, you must be doing it wrong.
rennie
Bike(s): Honda VFR1200f
Challenge score: 370
Has liked: 4222 times
Been liked: 1334 times

Re: How much fuel do I need?

Post by rennie »

You won't get anywhere near that on a track!
even on "slow" laps you're at much higher revs
for a lot longer than on the road.
I'd have a full tank and some spare if possible
Ian.
hoggs bonus 1/15
west midlands4/12
north wales2/12
Pubs complete
Churches complete
geofferz
Subscriber
Bike(s): 2020 Suzuki GSX-R1000R
Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 833 times

Post by geofferz »

If you're averaging 50mph that's 6 hours solid riding. I doubt you'll be doing that much.
Spanker of cyclists' arses
Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3658 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Post by Richzx6r »

When I went to snetterton a tank that normally lasts 150-160 miles on road lasted 75 miles on track so id go with a full tank and take a few fuel cans full with you
Its better when its loaded
sparkpaintersuk
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by sparkpaintersuk »

rennie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm You won't get anywhere near that on a track!
even on "slow" laps you're at much higher revs
for a lot longer than on the road.
I'd have a full tank and some spare if possible
I can't agree more.
Cpt_Tact
Bike(s): XSR 700
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Cpt_Tact »

To be honest I would run the full tank and if you really really need it either fill up onsite (most large tracks have onsite fuel, yes its not cheap but who cares for one tank) or nip out at lunch and brim it. Saves faffing with a jerry can or multiple small jerry cans.

On my regular track days I will do a full tank on my 675R and track dependent maybe another half/ 2/3rds if there are many long straights. If its a skills day then it will be fairly relaxed and you won't be pinned all day especially if its on cornering as they will be focusing on technique but you may get the last few sessions as all out time.
jedibiker
Bike(s): suzuki bandit 650SA
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by jedibiker »

Richzx6r wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:54 pm When I went to snetterton a tank that normally lasts 150-160 miles on road lasted 75 miles on track so id go with a full tank and take a few fuel cans full with you
Just seen this as Id love to go Cadwell soon, do they not have fuel onsite? I was going to ride there so no option to carry fuel as such

As i posted saw the post above lol.,Does Cadwell carry fuel.
fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and another ER5
Has liked: 3127 times
Been liked: 3887 times

Post by fastbob »

I would imagine that the training course providers are well aware of the average range of a suitable bike and would have designed the course accordingly .
Richzx6r

Post by Richzx6r »

Jedi I did Cadwell about 6 or 7 years ago and from memory I think they did but its expensive if bought from the site £1.70 - 1.85 or so is common
jedibiker

Post by jedibiker »

Richzx6r wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 pm Jedi I did Cadwell about 6 or 7 years ago and from memory I think they did but its expensive if bought from the site £1.70 - 1.85 or so is common
yeah does add up. Not bad if you can nip out to fuel up during breaks. I don't fancy carrying fuel on the bike, plus its a ride there too so would need to refuel close by. the more i read the more I am tempted to take it in a van. Or get the Mrs to follow in her car
Richzx6r

Post by Richzx6r »

jedibiker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Richzx6r wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 pm Jedi I did Cadwell about 6 or 7 years ago and from memory I think they did but its expensive if bought from the site £1.70 - 1.85 or so is common
yeah does add up. Not bad if you can nip out to fuel up during breaks. I don't fancy carrying fuel on the bike, plus its a ride there too so would need to refuel close by. the more i read the more I am tempted to take it in a van. Or get the Mrs to follow in her car
I would 100% opt to take it in a van just incase the worst was to happen and Cadwell park has a nasty habit of lulling in to a false sense of security then shitting on you when you think you are getting the hang of the track

I'm not saying you will come a cropper but when I did Cadwell I did so just talking from experience and most of the corners are taken at between 60 to 100+mph so it's a quick circuit and whatever you do make sure you are in no higher than 2nd for park corner and be prepared for the front to come up every time you come over the mountain they are the two main areas that people normally get caught out on that and pushing the front going in to the left at the bottom of the hill
jedibiker

Post by jedibiker »

I would 100% opt to take it in a van just incase the worst was to happen and Cadwell park has a nasty habit of lulling in to a false sense of security then shitting on you when you think you are getting the hang of the track

I'm not saying you will come a cropper but when I did Cadwell I did so just talking from experience and most of the corners are taken at between 60 to 100+mph so it's a quick circuit and whatever you do make sure you are in no higher than 2nd for park corner and be prepared for the front to come up every time you come over the mountain they are the two main areas that people normally get caught out on that and pushing the front going in to the left at the bottom of the hill
Appreciate that advice. I have seen a few come off on the hairpin, just slide right off. Id only be in Novice, so not sure about 100mph corners lol. Have you been since?
fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and another ER5
Has liked: 3127 times
Been liked: 3887 times

Post by fastbob »

Richzx6r wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 pm
jedibiker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 pm

You might want to consider the availability of hospital beds at this time .
Richzx6r

Post by Richzx6r »

jedibiker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Appreciate that advice. I have seen a few come off on the hairpin, just slide right off. Id only be in Novice, so not sure about 100mph corners lol. Have you been since?
When I did my first trackday at Mallory park in 2012 I was in the novice group and was doing 100+mph round the first hairpin so I'd definitely say you will be doing 100mph plus going through the first 3 corners
jedibiker

Post by jedibiker »

You might want to consider the availability of hospital beds at this time .
You know there isn't any track days on right now right?
I am speaking of when we are free. But to answer, Lincolnshire still not busy, nor is Doncaster or Worksop. But tracks are closed anyway.

Return to “Racing and Track Days”