Urban boots

More gear questions from me.

I'm new to motorcycling, I don't have a bike yet but intend to do DAS in the next few months.

I expect to be riding for short leisure journeys only - to the park, round to my friends, out to a restaurant in the evening with my wife as pillion, and maybe a day trip here and there.

I want to be protected, obviously, but don't want to sit in power ranger gear while sipping a Starbucks. I'm looking for gear which can work as casual clothes in terms of style and comfort, but also offer a good level of protection.

Boots like these look great, but should I be considering them as suitable?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/317966

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what kind of riding you're doing - if you come off then you'll want the best protection possible. It's just a question of how you compromise for comfort and style.

Well I'm sure if anyone is going to do a good job of it, it'd be TCX... not sure I'd want so little ankle support though, personally speaking. Nice to have some extra stability if you're riding around town, just in case you suddenly need to catch the weight of the bike when some twat nudges you or pulls out unexpectedly. Something that goes a little further up the leg might not be a bad idea? But for just riding into town and back they couldn't be too terrible. The MAIN thing I'd say is, "I expect to be riding for short leisure journeys only" rarely remains the case once you've got some miles under your belt! :lol:

Stylmartin are worth a look too, if you want some other options:

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/stylmartin-boots.html

I bought a pair of the "Legend" boots from that shop when I needed something a little smarter than my shabby old touring boots to wear for my wedding - they're seriously nice.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at boots on Urban Rider. There's some good options in there, bit more expensive of course!

Advice seems to be that more coverage of the calf is important, and support in the ankle as well as protection. In that case, why do trainer style boots even exist?

Still marginally better than wearing normal shoes, I guess. But mainly I imagine they exist because the demand is there and the manufacturers aren't gonna turn down the money! :lol:

Fine for some folks, no doubt. Boots and gloves are just about the only bits of kit I never compromise on, so I guess I'm not the target market :P

But mainly I imagine they exist because the demand is there and the manufacturers aren't gonna turn down the money! :lol:

:stupid: exactly what I was going to say!

Just remember if the worst happens and the bike goes down and your foot is underneath of it, your ankle and calf are going to take a bashing! We won't start the whole all the gear all the time debate again *looks sternly at everyone* but you should at least be aware of what would happen if you went down the road and decide how much protection you want to wear. Also make sure your wife is aware / geared up, pillions often come off worse as they don;t have the benefit of the "oh shit" moment before that you can prepare yourself for a fall!

Just remember if the worst happens and the bike goes down and your foot is underneath of it, your ankle and calf are going to take a bashing!

Been there done that, but had very protective boots and gloves and the only damage was to palm slider, you never know when your going to need your protective gear but when you do its nice when it works.