Compact, Quick, Easy setup 2 man tents...

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
Glorian
Bike(s): Saving up for me tracer 700!
Has Liked: 164 times
Been Liked: 191 times

Re: Compact, Quick, Easy setup 2 man tents...

#16 Post by Glorian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 am

Throttled wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 pm
I have a Vango Banshee 2 for trips where i stay 1 night in each place. But only if it is dry. There is no where for wet kit. It packs back into the bag ok and fits in my pannier.

I have a Vango Stelvio for rallies and if it is wet. It is made for bikers with space for wet kit. I pack it back into a dry bag I got from Aldi.

The dry bag packing also suggested above makes life on the road with a tent 100% easier. Just get a dry bag longer than the folded tent poles.
This was my problem with the banshee in the most part. there is the tent you can fit inside with gear but changing is a pain and damp gear inside? no thanks.. Why i upgraded to the omega

I'm interested in that dry bag though does it make it easier to pack then?
I love donuts

Martyn850
Bike(s): CBR1100XX
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 17 times

#17 Post by Martyn850 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am

Throttled wrote:

I have a Vango Stelvio for rallies and if it is wet. It is made for bikers with space for wet kit. I pack it back into a dry bag I got from Aldi.
I've just found a Vango Tour which is similar to the Stelvio. Not seen one in the flesh so be interesting to see what it's like when it turns up!

Rodders
Bike(s): TBC
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#18 Post by Rodders » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Martyn850 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am
Throttled wrote:

I've just found a Vango Tour which is similar to the Stelvio. Not seen one in the flesh so be interesting to see what it's like when it turns up!
The Vango Tour does look decent but it's mighty heavy! I'd rather save weight and have the bike outside, perhaps with a cover on.

Gerontious
Has Liked: 125 times
Been Liked: 172 times

#19 Post by Gerontious » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

no mention thus far of using a footprint.. something i consider essential... particularly if the tent you have bought does not have a floor in the porch area. This was the only downside with my 'basecamp' tent.. it came with a huge porch but it had no floor. so I bought a lightweight tarp for a few quid and cut it to size. This offers two major advantages.. you get that extra space with a floor.. and the actual groundsheet for the tent gets an extra protective layer beneath it. this helps protect it from sharps that you may not have noticed and helps reduce condensation. it also helps keep the tent clean. all this for just 2 or 3 quid.

These things are usually only sold as accessories for higher quality tents.. but they're really easy to DIY. and weigh next to nothing.
sagabona kunjani wena

Martyn850

#20 Post by Martyn850 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Rodders wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm
Martyn850 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am
Throttled wrote:

The Vango Tour does look decent but it's mighty heavy! I'd rather save weight and have the bike outside, perhaps with a cover on.
That's my only concern. It's a tad over 9kg. However it's the space which interests me in case of wet kit. My second choice is the vango omega 250 which seems to have a reasonable amount of space but not the height. And is about 4kg lighter. My plan was to give it a go and I picked it up for a decent price so worst case scenario I sell it on and pick something else up.

sg66
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 9 times

#21 Post by sg66 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:14 pm

https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/collection ... 3-etc-tent

I'm no fan of vango I have had many over the years and although they have some nice features they are made to a budget

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/ge ... r-mototent

Plenty to choose from

http://newatlas.com/series-ii-expedition-tent/26124/

Might just need to up the budget :)

Gerontious
Has Liked: 125 times
Been Liked: 172 times

#22 Post by Gerontious » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm

If you are going to be spending that kind of money... circa £200. I would go for this: http://tinyurl.com/yb68osku

Robens tents are fantastic... but as with any tent, be patient.. if you dont need it this year then definitely wait. leave it until the winter and buy then when the sales are on and sellers need to get rid because the 2018 ranges are about to appear. Current RRP is quite steep (though its already being discounted by 25%) but you get what you pay for, In the winter sales these can quickly become stunning bargains.

25% off at taunton leisure http://tinyurl.com/y9cbvetl

I have a very similar tent to that one.. bought in 2008 and still going strong. Bought for the huge porch and because the sleeping area is also very long.. much longer than usual. 240cm. This one is 220cm long.. which means there is plenty of space inside the tent if you're of average height.
sagabona kunjani wena

Mawsley
Bike(s): XT600E, CBF125, XJ900S
Challenge score: 310
Has Liked: 828 times
Been Liked: 1400 times

#23 Post by Mawsley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm

FWIW, I bought an MSR Elixir 3 last year.

In the past, I've hovered around the £100-mark for 2/3 person tents and been perfectly happy. This time I fancied treating myself to something a bit more pricey. I grabbed it at an end of season knockdown price, which meant settling for brown instead of the white I wanted. It's identical to the one being sold this season.

First and foremost, this tent will be one of the lightest you will ever own, knocking around 3kg all in.

It's ridiculously simple to pitch - three colour-coded poles, four pegs, throw over the flysheet. Done. It comes with a groundsheet to protect the base of the tent and can be set up without the inner for hot days away. Or, without the flysheet, you can stare up at space. Real space where aliens live.

They say it's a genuine roomy 3-person tent. They lie. Fat lies. If you are in any way human, you will like some kind of bed to lie on. So will your mate. And your mate's mate, but screw them as they'll have to lie on it outside the tent. It's three slim people squishing together - or one fat Mawsley with space to spread out and scratch the bits that need rubbing after a day's fun.
msr7.web_.jpg
"But hey! I don't want to lob my mate's mate out. And I want somewhere to put all my gear."

Pfft. Some people want the moon on a stick. You can buy the MSR "Shed" to extend the tent (for the price of a whole other tent). I got one of these when my wife wasn't looking and it adds a good space for a third person to kip or for all the kit you don't want to store in the eaves of the tent.
Elixir_Gear_Shed.jpg
I'm not even going to bother listing out how much this stuff is. MSR have a reputation for seriously well-made stuff that'll perform in rank conditions and last an age. It packs up tiny too; I got the tent, the shed and all the extra pegs into one pannier with a fair bit of space left over for other stuff.

All told, if you're in the market for a lightweight, small pack size, high-quality bit of kit...
msr8.web_.jpg
*images stolen from the internets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RantMachine
Bike(s): KLX250, CG125 Classic Edition
Has Liked: 597 times
Been Liked: 534 times

#24 Post by RantMachine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm too late to the party but for what it's worth (and future reference for anyone else reading this) Coleman tents are absolutely top notch if you need a good tent on a budget! I've got one of the Darwin series tents (current versions go for ~£75) and it's been stunning. By my count I've had it since 2007, in which time it's done various music festivals, rallies, stag parties, travelled all the way around the American midwest (deserts of south Dakota, woodlands of Yellowstone, wild camping along the Ozark River, etc) and endured every kind of weather imaginable many times over. Finally starting to get a little bit worse for wear, but I certainly feel I got my moneys worth. It was only £35 back when I bought it! Prices these days are horrifying :lol:
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Throttled
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge score: 330
Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 159 times

#25 Post by Throttled » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Glorian wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 am
Throttled wrote:
I have a Vango Banshee 2 for trips where i stay 1 night in each place. But only if it is dry. There is no where for wet kit. It packs back into the bag ok and fits in my pannier.

The dry bag packing also suggested above makes life on the road with a tent 100% easier. Just get a dry bag longer than the folded tent poles.
This was my problem with the banshee in the most part. there is the tent you can fit inside with gear but changing is a pain and damp gear inside? no thanks.. Why i upgraded to the omega

I'm interested in that dry bag though does it make it easier to pack then?
Oh yes! You will get an Omega in a 44l dry bag no problem, with room for any extras like a tarp and poles.
My blog about my career as a police officer in Scotland - https://rogerthepoliceman.wordpress.com/
Also on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rogerthepoliceman/

Martyn850

#26 Post by Martyn850 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am

Mawsley wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm
How do you find it in the rain? My local stockist doesn't have one, only the Hubba Hubba (which I'm tempted by for the name alone! :D ) and looking online the flysheet seems a bit on the light side? But I guess it's more of a technical fabric?

Chrissb6
Bike(s): Suzuki Busa, Bimota SB6R Gas Gas Honda CBX 1000
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 29 times

#27 Post by Chrissb6 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi, l can recommend Kham tents though not cheep, you might get lucky and find a second hand one on fleebay. One thing l've found out the hard way is that you get what you pay for. There's nothing worse than a freezing cold wet tent. Make sure you have space in the tent for all your gear and get a decent sleeping bag.

Mawsley
Bike(s): XT600E, CBF125, XJ900S
Challenge score: 310
Has Liked: 828 times
Been Liked: 1400 times

#28 Post by Mawsley » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Martyn850 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am
Mawsley wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm
How do you find it in the rain? My local stockist doesn't have one, only the Hubba Hubba (which I'm tempted by for the name alone! :D ) and looking online the flysheet seems a bit on the light side? But I guess it's more of a technical fabric?
Bought it for sunny weather use, showers have been no problem.

Seeing as MSR primarily make stuff for the mountaineering market, I'm going to hazard a guess it'll perform in downpours too.

Chrissb6
Bike(s): Suzuki Busa, Bimota SB6R Gas Gas Honda CBX 1000
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 29 times

#29 Post by Chrissb6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 am

This time of the year people are off loading + plenty of end of season sales keep an eye out for them

Just had a quick look on flee bay and this caught my eye, well worth a punt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Khyam-biker-t ... SwQHFZkf2q