Gloves: over or under?

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 1453 times
Been Liked: 1144 times

Re: Gloves: over or under?

#16 Post by Stu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Hoggs wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Stu wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Hoggs wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm
Annoyingly my gloves won't fit under my jacket. So the water runs in. And they're gortex so it don't come back out again :crybaby:
Cut a hole in the fingers!

Problem solved! :popcorn:
:up:
Just can't help some people!
Don't steal!.... the government hates competition!!!

Throttled
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge score: 360
Has Liked: 121 times
Been Liked: 169 times

#17 Post by Throttled » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 pm

It depends on the glove and jacket. The winter gloves are designed to go over the cuff and tighten with a toggle. The summer gloves go under one jacket and over the other. Best for the rain is over and tighten with the toggle.
My blog about my career as a police officer in Scotland - https://rogerthepoliceman.wordpress.com/
Also on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rogerthepoliceman/

RantMachine
Bike(s): CG125 Classic Edition
Has Liked: 627 times
Been Liked: 560 times

#18 Post by RantMachine » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Yeah, my goretex jacket is the same combined under/over affair that Gerontious has.
Rae was bang on the money with what he said about the angle of your arm - but also I fidget a lot so the double overlap is a godsend :lol:

All that said, I wear my winter gloves as rarely as possible - much preferred my summer gloves. I say preferred because I lost one of them on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride :evil:
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Joe85
Bike(s): BMW S1000R Sport
Has Liked: 56 times
Been Liked: 116 times

Gloves: over or under?

#19 Post by Joe85 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 pm

I wear short gloves all year round so have no choice but to go under.

It’s alright. Get a bit cold and a bit wet when it’s hammering down but they look better, imo, and that is all that counts.

Ever.

goat
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 102 times

#20 Post by goat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:02 am

RantMachine wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm
Yeah, my goretex jacket is the same combined under/over affair that Gerontious has.
Rae was bang on the money with what he said about the angle of your arm - but also I fidget a lot so the double overlap is a godsend :lol:

All that said, I wear my winter gloves as rarely as possible - much preferred my summer gloves. I say preferred because I lost one of them on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride :evil:
Am after a gortex jacket. What's the jacket you have with the funky sleeves?

Gerontious
Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 202 times

#21 Post by Gerontious » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

For what its worth.. My jacket and trousers are both from Rukka and bought back in 2012. As far as i know these double sleeves are only on some of the jackets, which tend to be very pricey - even more so since this Brexit Fiasco. But... you often see them offered at very good prices second hand on eBay and can represent a bargain especially when you consider that Goretex has a lifetime warranty independent of the original makers warranty. (Rukka) so.. if it leaks Goretex will sort it out for you. This Goretex lifetime warranty applies to undamaged goods... so they wont cover a jacket thats been crashed.. or otherwise abused.

I paid just under £800 for my jacket and it was definitely one of my better buying decisions. Rukka are absolutely ideal for the UK climate... just a bit too much maybe for those rare hot days in mid summer when the temperature is above 25c.
sagabona kunjani wena

goat
Bike(s): Bandit 600 mk1
Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 102 times

#22 Post by goat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am

Cheers. Was looking at rukka. Good to know about the goretex warranty as well as looking on eBay but a bit concerned about an older jackets waterproofness.

bonio
Bike(s): R1200GS, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 90
Has Liked: 655 times
Been Liked: 228 times

#23 Post by bonio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 am

goat wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am
Cheers. Was looking at rukka. Good to know about the goretex warranty as well as looking on eBay but a bit concerned about an older jackets waterproofness.
I got a Rukka jacket off ebay about 3 years ago. It's been bomb-proof so far.
Previous to that I'd bought some HG goretex trousers off ebay but they leaked like seive. I sent them back to goretex, and since the trousers were no longer in production, goretex sent me a cheque which I put towards a new pair of Rukka pants.
Two Soups

Arwen
Bike(s): Honda MSX 125, BMW F700GS Rallye LS
Has Liked: 351 times
Been Liked: 423 times

#24 Post by Arwen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

I need to wear my gloves under my jacket, cause the sleeves are too long :roll:

My new gloves are longer than my summer gloves, which is proving to be rather annoying. I may end up just sticking with summer gloves and a liner during winter.
<<Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are.>>

TC1474
Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 243 times

#25 Post by TC1474 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am

From a pure maximise safety point of view, gloves offer more protection if worn over the cuffs, simply because if worn under, the raw edge of the sleeve cuff is exposed and can ride up exposing the forearm and in some cases slpit along the seams.

The same also applies to boots worn under leathers. This is a common issue and I have lost count of the number of serious injuries caused as a result of the leather riding up.

The argument that it must be safe because racing riders do something does not hold weight because the displines of racing and road riding are very different, hence why wearing a 1 piece leather on the road is not as safe as a 2 piece (but this is a seperate discussion which we have had before)

I have seen the problem of raw edges riding up and leaving parts of the body exposed on many occasions as part of my case studies into kit.

But, kit is evolving, and with textile kit, it is always going to be something of a compromise. Manufacturers are looking at ways to make cold weather and winter riding more of an enjoyable experience, but you cannot cater for every situation and of course it tends to be bulkier than leather, so sometimes gloves under are the only viable option.

But if you understand that it is a potential safety compromise, then fair enough, at least the majority of your body is protected..
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next

Liveware Problem
Bike(s): Honda CB600F 2000 Honda Forza 125
Challenge score: 100
Has Liked: 419 times
Been Liked: 141 times

#26 Post by Liveware Problem » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 pm

I tried gloves under today, it wasn't as comfortable, seems less air tight too. I think I'll stick with over until I can get one of those fancy rukka jackets :)

Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Challenge score: 90
Has Liked: 605 times
Been Liked: 461 times

#27 Post by Tango » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 am

Depends on which jacket and which gloves.....so many combinations. ...... :wink:
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

2WheelSolo
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RT
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 36 times

#28 Post by 2WheelSolo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Also bear in mind that although the gear may be Gore-Tex, if that is sitting under an exterior layer (such as Cordura on my Rukka gear) you will still need to apply water repellent to the exterior layer from time to time. Otherwise the outer starts to soak up the water (generally called "clogging"). The Gore-Tex layer continues to keep you dry but you end up with a jacket that weighs a ton, drips everywhere, and takes ages to dry.

The new laminate Gore-Tex outers don't have this problem, but they are damned expensive.
2WheelSolo - 2016 BMW R1200 RT

You can also find me on Twitter or YouTube

UK Challenge 100 No. 210

"Living life on the steep part of the learning curve."

RantMachine
Bike(s): CG125 Classic Edition
Has Liked: 627 times
Been Liked: 560 times

#29 Post by RantMachine » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

goat wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:02 am
RantMachine wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Am after a gortex jacket. What's the jacket you have with the funky sleeves?
It's made by Dane. I forget the model, it's in America so I can't check :lol:
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

onesea
Bike(s): Yamaha FZ6/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Challenge score: 70
Has Liked: 68 times
Been Liked: 47 times

#30 Post by onesea » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Instead of buying an expensive jacket you could buy some double cuff gloves.... In the rain I could never get over or ender to keep my hands dry double cuff gloves do both.

This sort of arrangement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2V23t1RIb4

I bought a similar RIkka set a mate has bearing set they are brilliant but.... an absolute PITA to put on for short rides. Longer rides I cannot fault them...
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info