What do you use for navigation?

Guest bikerkate

I have a Garmin zumo 660, which I use for uploading the positions of the photo rally's locations I do. But like [mention]fastbob[/mention] I buy at least 2 maps every year from the Works, and plot the roads and junctions with the help of Google maps. So I don't have to relie on the Sat nav.

I have a Garmin zumo 660, which I use for uploading the positions of the photo rally's locations I do. But like @fastbob I buy at least 2 maps every year from the Works, and plot the roads and junctions with the help of Google maps. So I don't have to relie on the Sat nav.

And they are only £1 at the moment ! I'll bet that if you went to buy one in W H Smiths on the motorway you would have to pay the full £8.99 marked price.

And they are only £1 at the moment ! I'll bet that if you went to buy one in W H Smiths on the motorway you would have to pay the full £8.99 marked price.

Bloody hell why didn’t I think of that, A couple of weeks ago I was racking my brains where I could go and buy a map and ended up on Amazon £8.45 one mini fold out and one bristol a-z - when they turned up they were both the wrong sizes for what I wanted but it was too late to get anything else!!!

Was after one of those large folding ones, I want to see the majority of Bristol and it’s outskirts on one piece of paper to try and draw a bit of a boundary of where I might go on my mod 2 test. Then I can go look see where I’m probably gonna fail!

Surely your school should cover all that? My training took place in the areas we might go on the test, then on the morning of it they had various photos of the places which were potential pitfalls to go through before setting off to the test centre.

Sounds like you need a map of Bristol as an Atlas would not have a large enough scale. Otherwise, enjoy.

IMG_7025.thumb.JPG.c3c34cc57b77c26fcc66cc6f6654a6f3.JPG

Yeh they do but they have said the test area in Bristol is so large it (goes up to in Gloucester etc) they just can’t predict or cover it all and as much as I don’t want to admit to it on here whatever bit of your brain remembers locations and directions I don’t have it- mine is missing. So the couple of roundabouts they showed us whilst on the mod 1 because everyone messes them up- I have no idea where they are :roll: They also pointed out a change from a 30 limit to a 20 that’s often in the test and easily missed, dunno where that is either :oops:

Think I’m just going to have to do my best and leave it in the lap of the gods!

They also pointed out a change from a 30 limit to a 20 that’s often in the test and easily missed,

Get into the habit when riding around to ask yourself on every road "what's the speed limit on this road" I had issues missing them on my training so the instructor told me to do this. When forced to look you will see them... also noticed a few that I rode past every day - in plain sight - that id never seen before...

Also no points for "I think it's 30..." :lol:

Alrighty but that is two tasks at the same time cos I’m already saying “tit tit tit tit” from the moment I flick the indicators to remind me to cancel them. I was gonna go for tick tick tick like they actually sound but I’m a tit tit tit for forgetting to cancel them seems to work better!

Always cancel your indicators.

I mean that literally; always. Does not matter whether they are on or not. Cancel them anyway.

Whenever you cross a give way line or change lane, cancel them. Make it a habit, it does no harm if they were not on.

No need to remember. No need to check the light on the instruments. None of that matters, just cancel them.

And if you are riding along and think you forgot to cancel them, cancel them just in case.

You will not fail your test for cancelling your indicators when they are not on. You will not confuse other traffic by cancelling your indicators when they are not on.

It’s definitely an area I could fail on. I forget if immediately after I’ve put them on something if else happens in front of me. Hence jabbering to myself so as not to get distracted away from cancelling them. It’s improving but I’m really not there yet!

Somebody suggested cancelling your car indicators helps get you in the habit, I’m gonna give that a go.

AC9DA982-5AC7-4286-BC86-762CC56B740E.jpegHere’s my nav - taped to tank or on tank bag

You used a printer - Pah! Infernal high-technology.

I scratch route instructions in to my tank using a piece of knapped flint.

AC9DA982-5AC7-4286-BC86-762CC56B740E.jpegHere’s my nav - taped to tank or on tank bag

You used a printer - Pah! Infernal high-technology.

I scratch route instructions in to my tank using a piece of knapped flint.

Now I’m retired, I don’t have access to printer so I have to hand write them, the advantage now is that now one else can tell where I’ve been, or going 👍

There's this fantastic new product that's coming out that I really like the look of, it's called Beeline Moto, they're not near completion yet, but from an outside look of this it sounds fantastic, I really like the concept and will probably end up buying one when they release it.

https://beeline.co/

">