Shoei Helmet

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha Tenere
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Re: Shoei Helmet

#16 Post by manxie49 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 am

I had a similar problem some time ago, I invested in a shoei and have never looked back, money well spent, comfortable, quiet and really does the job, I reviewed it in the tried and tested section of the forum. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 372 times
Been Liked: 351 times

#17 Post by geofferz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:48 pm

mikestrivens wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:06 am
geofferz wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 am
Agv pista r - hydration tube built in.

And only a grand! Fully carbon fibre too.
Seems like a bargain. Lots of different colours as well.
You can't put a price on bring hydrated. I mean you die otherwise.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

Lanceautoman
Bike(s): Honda CB600F Hornet Past: YBR 125
Has Liked: 115 times
Been Liked: 43 times

#18 Post by Lanceautoman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am

Just a small update.

My Shoei arrived yesterday. It is a very nice piece of kit and the quality of the materials is so much better than my previous helmets. I spent a while fitting the pinlock and working out how the visorlock system works. This is excellent. it has 3 settings. unlock (like any helmet), lock - locks the visor in place and gap thingy, raises the visor up by a few millimetres to allow a small flow of air - great for me as i wear glasses and it really helps to keep them clear on a damp morning like today.

I struggled a little at first with the double D Fastener but i am now a firm believer that all things in life are better as Double D..... - On a serious note, it felt more comfortable than the ratchet system on my old helmets.

I found a bit of an issue when tucking down with my previous helmet where there was a gap between the edge of the pinlock and the top of the visor and this caused a slightly obscured view but this is not a problem with the Shoei. Also, the range of vision is excellent.

So, in summary, whilst i realise that you cannot put a price on safety, £250 is a lot for me to spend given my old helmet was only £75 and that it was only 6 months old but after my visor pop-up incident and mini choky experience it had to go. The helmet fits perfectly on my on my slightly odd shaped head, has great ventilation, great vision, comes with a Pinlock included, has a 5 Star SHARP safety rating and feels very good quality. Given this I actually think the £250 price is very good and I think I will remain loyal to this quality brand.

If the Shoei fits.........................
Current: Honda CB600F Hornet
Past: YBR125

"I like my women like i like my bikes, dirty, naked and with minimal talk (torque)".

Car:

Jaguar XJ6 3.0

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 1407 times
Been Liked: 1309 times

#19 Post by Joeman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

250 for a shoei is a bargain!!

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 264 times

#20 Post by raesewell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am

A good fitting cheap helmet is better than a bad fitting expensive one. :wink:

Lanceautoman

#21 Post by Lanceautoman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 am

True - My Spada's Airoh was cheap and bad fitting.

I love my new one

"I like my women like i like my bikes, dirty, naked and with minimal talk (torque)".

Car:

Jaguar XJ6 3.0

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER6F
Has Liked: 35 times
Been Liked: 67 times

#22 Post by SometimesSansEngine » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am

raesewell wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am
A good fitting cheap helmet is better than a bad fitting expensive one. :wink:
Yeah, I remember the guy who did my CBT saying he'd spent something like £65 on his helmet, but that it was the best he'd ever owned in 30 odd years of riding.

I'll admit to being surprised when I first looked at helmets as I assumed that more expensive ones would be a LOT lighter. I'm sure for long days or track days the small weight saving for a several hundred pound helmet can make a difference, but the gains weren't that massive, so I was happy to go with one that seemed to fit as my first one

Speedy23
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 1300A
Has Liked: 100 times
Been Liked: 249 times

#23 Post by Speedy23 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 pm

SometimesSansEngine wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am
Yeah, I remember the guy who did my CBT saying he'd spent something like £65 on his helmet, but that it was the best he'd ever owned in 30 odd years of riding.
....what make was it - an "Egshel" by any chance?
Oh my God, what's happened? I don't know man...I just got here myself!

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER6F
Has Liked: 35 times
Been Liked: 67 times

#24 Post by SometimesSansEngine » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Speedy23 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 pm
No, that's what Sean Connery uses for spreadsheets

Speedy23

#25 Post by Speedy23 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Speedy23 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 pm
No, that's what Sean Connery uses for spreadsheets
Toushe, Mish Munnypenny..... :mrgreen:

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Challenge Score: 70
Has Liked: 312 times
Been Liked: 341 times

#26 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

@Lanceautoman Nice write up. £250 is a bargain. For me it comes down more to value for money than actual cost. How many comfortable hours you’ll get out of it compared with another lid and what price not being distracted while riding by bad kit?

I too am now a Shoei convert. Picked it up Thursday, rode for hours Friday and Saturday and was amazed how comfortable and functional it was. Pleased I spent the money (although it was an early birthday prezzie so I only paid half :thumb: ) I thought my neck was too weedy for motorway riding as at higher speeds when checking the blind spot my head was whipped round and required effort to turn it back. Turns out it was just the helmet! I must be Cinderella because as you say the Shoei fits :D
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Lanceautoman

#27 Post by Lanceautoman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm

I thought exactly the same as you about being weedy on motorways. Previously a slight turn of head would feel like having my head wrenched. Now, I have to keep a bit of an eye on the speedo; previously anything over. 70mph was very uncomfortable

Car:

Jaguar XJ6 3.0

Speedy23

#28 Post by Speedy23 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:05 pm

SCM and LAM.......just be careful with doing shoulder checks at motorway speeds......not always necessary, get your information (remember TUG - take, use, give) by upping the scan rate and more mirror checks. Don't forget that at 70mph you're covering 31 metres/second......

fullscreenaging
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge Score: 70
Has Liked: 91 times
Been Liked: 133 times

#29 Post by fullscreenaging » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I’ve had my Shoei Neotec for nearly 3 years. Just a plain white one. I love it. It’s been fantastic this summer. As soon as I get into traffic or 30-40mph zones the front comes up so I get the air straight in my face which keeps me cool. It’s a fairly quiet lid to boot. I have a SENA 20S attached and listen to music on my phone the vast majority of the time or sometimes the radio. Even though is a smidge on the heavy side compared to my old HJC RPHA10+ the added features such as the flip up and the internal dark visor outweighs this. The vents are good too, although when opened creates a little more wind noise but I trade that for having a cooler head. The pin lock does its job the same as any other pin lock.

I’m going to wait until I spot the Neotec 2 in the sale and go for one. I believe it has 3 shell sizes which could save me some weight as I’m a small size and the original Neotec only comes in 2 shell sizes.

Al in all, it’s a quality lid.
What if the whole world farted at once?

griptwister
Bike(s): Yamaha xj900
Been Liked: 21 times

#30 Post by griptwister » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 am

On the topic of helmets and drinking, do they make a helmet like one of those Australian hats that has beer cans fastened to it with pipes so you don't have to take it off to drink. Would the beer cans compromise safety, I can imagine difficulties in surgery removing a beer can embedded in the brain, although there may be benefits from requiring less anesthesia.

is there a legal issue with drinking and riding if you do both at the same time.

I have looked for one in J&S and cant find one.