Bike security choices

Before I take delivery of my new bike I want to sort out the security issue. With that in mind I’ve come up with the following:

In the garage - Oxford Docking Station, Almax Immobiliser IV chain.

Out and about - Zena XX10 disc lock (assuming it’ll fit a Royal Enfield Classic).

Permanently installed - Bike Trac tracker.

For the garage - Garage Defender, 1byone Wireless Home Security Driveway Alarm.

Firstly, do these sound like reasonable choices? Secondly, I wonder if I should get another, lighter chain for use when I’m out and about - the Almax is bloomin heavy. Lastly, am I missing anything obvious?

And yes, I realize I may sound a little paranoid but having had two bikes nicked when I was younger and never seeing them again, there’s no way I want to make it easy for the b*******s now.

I have a good disklock and use the steering lock on the bike when in the garage and out and about.

If theives want your bike, they'll get it. I only use the disck lock so it's not easily rolled away by oppertunists.

If they really want your bike and it's armed to the teeth, they're probably going to smash your door in and/or put a knife to your face until you handover the keys.

A bikes replaceable, your life (or your familys) is not, and should the above happen i know which would be the more traumatic experience should you escape unarmed.

As for trackers, I personally wouldnt want my bike back after some scrotes thrashed and beaten the arse out it. A garage defender and visible driveway alarms only alert theives that there's treasures inside, if they didnt already know. If i was casing a street and only 1 garage was like fort knox, i know which i'd be interested in?

Your bike is an attachment of you and very gutting if it get's taken. Just thought i'd add my 10 pence worth.

Pragmisis do a good "travel" chain and lock set. I use it for the grom when I'm out and about (since a reasonably strong person can lift it...)

https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x-SS50CS

Thanks for this recommendation. Looks good, and portable - I'll feel a little happier with something more than a disc lock when I'm leaving the bike out and about!

They are perfectly sensible choices. The main issue is, are they listed in the drop down boxes on security when you get an insurance quote? I suspect they are, so you are good to go.

Thanks, I think they're all listed as security options on insurance quotes :)

They say the best camera is the camera you have with you.

The best security device is the one you have with you. In this context start by buying the thing that will carry your lock. A box of some kind will let you carry a heavy chain if you don't want a box of any kind then don't buy a beefy lock, and then you have to pretty much rely on whatever device will fit under the seat or in your pocket.

I sometimes see riders say they want a good strong lock because they want the best security they can get but they are not prepared to fit anything to the bike capable of carrying that lock.

Decide the minimum security level you can live with and then buy and fit the thing capable of carrying it on the bike. Then you will have a solution. Or you will leave the lock at home because its too much effort to carry it.

Whatever security you put on the insurance quote will be expected to be used every time you leave the bike. So if you put that you have an extremely heavy 16mm chain because you use one in the garage you will be expected to use this all the time. Better to put on the insurance quote what you will actually carry around with you plus alarm and/or DataTag if both fitted. Then for your own piece of mind secure to the 16mm chain when it is at home.