Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Tinted Visors

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
manxie49
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 317 times

Re: Tinted Visors

Post by manxie49 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 am

My helmet currently has a drop down tinted visor, its absolutely useless, the issues I have with it are misting, it doesn't actually drop down far enough and I find it obscures my vision, I think they may suit some people and the theory is sound but there not for me.

I didn't think dark tints would be a problem during the day so cheers for the advice and input folks :thumb:

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

Mississippi Bullfrog
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1274 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

manxie49 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 am
My helmet currently has a drop down tinted visor, its absolutely useless, the issues I have with it are misting, it doesn't actually drop down far enough and I find it obscures my vision, I think they may suit some people and the theory is sound but there not for me.

I didn't think dark tints would be a problem during the day so cheers for the advice and input folks :thumb:
That's strange, what lid do you have? Mine is a bog standard Caberg and the drop down visor works very well. Never had a problem with it misting up and it drops the tinted section right over my line of vision.

I can see why a tinted visor makes sense over buying a whole new lid though if you're never riding at night.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

manxie49

Post by manxie49 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am
manxie49 wrote:

That's strange, what lid do you have? Mine is a bog standard Caberg and the drop down visor works very well. Never had a problem with it misting up and it drops the tinted section right over my line of vision.

I can see why a tinted visor makes sense over buying a whole new lid though if you're never riding at night.
Mines Shoei GT Air, drop down visor has been next to useless, which is annoying as the helmet itself is excellent. I do ride at night and in bad weather, visor changing is quick and simple though so it shouldn't cause me to much of a hassle.

Bender
Subscriber
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 1397 times

Post by Bender » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm
manxie49 wrote:

Mines Shoei GT Air, drop down visor has been next to useless, which is annoying as the helmet itself is excellent. I do ride at night and in bad weather, visor changing is quick and simple though so it shouldn't cause me to much of a hassle.
I have the same and have had no issues with internal visor?
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge Score: 440
Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 871 times

Post by JRH » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Bender wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm
manxie49 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm

:stupid:
I have more probs with my spec misting than the drop down tinted visor.
I have the same and have had no issues with internal visor?
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2019 challenge 100

Pubs 10 / 10
West Midlands 10 / 12
East Midlands 5 / 12
South Wales 1 / 12
South West England 2 / 12
East of England 1 / 12
Dealers 6 / 10
Tracks 4 / 20

manxie49

Post by manxie49 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Nothing but trouble for me! I suppose what's good for one isn't always good for another though, I thought the idea was sound enough when I bought the helmet, and like I say, I absolutely love the lid, just a shame about the visor.

MrPickwick
Subscriber
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by MrPickwick » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Dont have a problem with my drop down, but then again I'm in a lower position on the Fireblade and I'm looking up into the top Quadrant of the visor

S-Westerly
Bike(s): Multi 950
Challenge Score: 90
Has liked: 663 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by S-Westerly » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Schuberth C3 with drop down sun screen works for me. As long as I have the chin vent open neither my glasses, drop down sun shade or visor mist up. However I did have to change the anti-fog from original (which was completely shite) to a pinlock. As OP said what works for one need not work for another.
Pubs: 1/10
Dealers: 2/10
West Country: 1/10
West Midlands: 4/10
Eating places: 1/10

Bender
Subscriber
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 1397 times

Post by Bender » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Nothing but trouble for me! I suppose what's good for one isn't always good for another though, I thought the idea was sound enough when I bought the helmet, and like I say, I absolutely love the lid, just a shame about the visor.
What issue are you having with it?
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

manxie49

Post by manxie49 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 am

Bender wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 pm
manxie49 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm
What issue are you having with it?
It doesn't come down far enough to block out the sun, I find in the cold weather it mists up (I've even tried treating it with a rain x anti mist cleaner) and at times, because it doesn't seem to come down far enough, it has a tendency to obscure my vision. I tried just wearing sun glasses but because the helmet is quite a snug fit the arms of the glasses dig in and give me a headache.

Mississippi Bullfrog
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1274 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 am

It doesn't come down far enough to block out the sun.
Sun.... what's that then?

Must have a long time ago. I think I remember seeing it back in '76.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Cpt_Tact
Bike(s): Triumph Street Triple R
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Cpt_Tact » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 am

In my Arai's I use one of the Pinlock ProtecTint inserts as its the best of both worlds, takes out the glare on sunny days/ low sun in winter and then back to clear when the sun goes down. Yes its not cheap but if you are buying a pinlock its only an extra £20.

It is not instant ~1 min to change back but as it goes a smoked tint it doesn't matter when you go in to tunnels or under trees. Works all year, doesn't fog up unlike the internal drop downs and as a worst case I will just wear sun glasses if I ever find myself needing additional darkness which in the UK has pretty much been never. There are plenty of cheap polarised sunglasses out there with narrow frames without the ear hook that work really well in helmets, I bought a set of eBay for about £10 and they just sit under my seat in the summer.

If your helmet doesn't have ProtecTint available then I would put in a light smoke as that won't bother you too much at night and if you did get stopped on a very cloudy/ rainy day I doubt the Police would even give it a second glance.

IMO keep the dark visor for the track where you will look even cooler in the photos :)

denislordm
Bike(s): Honda CB500x
Been liked: 41 times

Post by denislordm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:29 am

I use a Schuberth C3 with integrated sun visor and on occasions this does steam up a little but flick open the visor it clears in seconds problem resolved.
Like Tankbag mentioned earlier in the thread I also use a strip of electrical tape across the top of the visor this does act like a sunstrip in a car windshield or a bit like wearing a baseball cap while driving you can just dip your head a bit to get through that glare of sun which suddenly pops up - I have been using this stuff on ALL my helmets for years and It works just fine for me - It was shown to me by a police motorcyclist about 1969 so its not a new idea!!!!

Smithers
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda NC750X
Has liked: 663 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Smithers » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am

denislordm wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:29 am
I use a Schuberth C3 with integrated sun visor and on occasions this does steam up a little but flick open the visor it clears in seconds problem resolved.
Like Tankbag mentioned earlier in the thread I also use a strip of electrical tape across the top of the visor this does act like a sunstrip in a car windshield or a bit like wearing a baseball cap while driving you can just dip your head a bit to get through that glare of sun which suddenly pops up - I have been using this stuff on ALL my helmets for years and It works just fine for me - It was shown to me by a police motorcyclist about 1969 so its not a new idea!!!!
I heard about the strip of electrical tape trick years ago and have used it ever since. A must for winter riding with low sun. :thumb:
Underneath every ponytail is a horses ass.

sparkpaintersuk
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by sparkpaintersuk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm

MrPickwick wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm
manxie49 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm
I know that dark tinted visors are for track use only but in reality has anyone ever had any issues with the law "during daylight hours" with having a tinted visor? I've seen plenty of people riding with them.

I was out a couple of days ago and the sun, low in the sky, was brutal, I was considering fitting a tinted visor for days like that, I'm fortunate that visor changes on my helmet can be done really easily.

I just want other people opinions who may have or are using them.
Why not try a Helmet with a drop down sun visor in it
I think this says all about it. :cheers:

Return to “Clothing, Luggage, Accessories and Security”