Earplugs and comms

I really like the boomfree mike.

you get a boom mic and a corded mic with a packtalk :wink:

Has anyone successfully mounted the corded mike in a flip-up helmet? I want it mounted in a way that when I lift the front up, then the mike is not in front of me - it can either be on the side (like in UClear) or can go up with the lid.

Providing you can route the wire properly so that it doesn't pull or get caught then there is no reason why you can't use the corded mic

The hard part is knowing where to route the wiring

I am not sure about the newer Cardos but when I had the Cardo Scala G4 they used a lip mic that had to right in front of your mouth. The 20S Evo has more sensitive mics, I first had the boom mic then changed to the corded mic and stuck it to the side on the cheek pad and it works well. So, yes, at least the Sens does, don't know about others.

On this subject I'm looking to get an intercom for the summer primarily just for when I have my wife as pillion for Comms any suggestions I'm not looking to spend loads but in the same respect I don't want to buy rubbish so was looking for recommendations please

On this subject I'm looking to get an intercom for the summer primarily just for when I have my wife as pillion for Comms any suggestions I'm not looking to spend loads but in the same respect I don't want to buy rubbish so was looking for recommendations please

just for pillions check out the cardo freecom's :)

Thanks both for the good advice these look a good balance of price and quality

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401645826363

Cardo are probs better but for just 2 riders mine works a treat if you're strapped for cash https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223064416148

Same with me - primarily for the pillion, until I get SWMBO to:

a) get the helmet

b) get on the pillion

c) get addicted

d) get her own bike

Until all of these points are done, the intercom is for me to talk with my son on our boys' rides ;-)

One thing I'm sure about - I'm not wasting time buying twice. Currently deciding between Packtalk Bold (which I've used during my DAS - it was brilliant, but has boom mike) and UClear - which doesn't have book mike, but their beamforming is all that you can achieve with only 2 mikes, and there are some reports that you get feedback sound when talking with pillion - not unexpected. If primary reason was to talk with another bike then I'd have already bought UClear, but because for (at least) another 6 months primary task is to talk with pillion, then I'm still undecided.

TBH all of the decent sets have similar prices. I'm not going to set myself up for regrets by trying to save £50 on a £400 purchase - it's a wrong way to save 10%.

Thanks everyone for the great advice I'd rather ask people who have such sets rather than look at online reviews probably going to get one of the cardo twin packs £200 is about my limit I'm having a new driveway in march and overpaying my mortgage so need to stay disciplined!

+1 for thanks for the advice. I've been snooping here and think I might suggest the Cardo Freecom, as a non-budget-breaking birthday present ;-)

I've got the cardo packtalk bold (I bought it for my IAM training) and it's excellent. I've spoken to a few people on the phone whilst riding and they didn't know I was on the bike it was that clear.

Thanks everyone for the great advice I'd rather ask people who have such sets rather than look at online reviews probably going to get one of the cardo twin packs £200 is about my limit I'm having a new driveway in march and overpaying my mortgage so need to stay disciplined!

I got the Pactalk slim and then realised that I don't know that many people. Its good until you get so much wind noise that you can't hear anything at all.

It's very important to place the speakers right by your ear.

And to wear earplugs... the right earplugs actually help you hear the intercom better because they block out the wind noise more than the wanted sounds (other vehicles, sirens, your intercom etc).

A very nice box with two Packtalk Bolds have arrived a few days ago. Nice set of accessories to mount everything, one unit already mounted in my helmet (Nolan 100-5) and the audio quality is brilliant; another unit will be soon mounted as well. My main gripe so far is that I can't get the voice commands to work at all. When testing if they're working (by playing a youtube video to the mike) it picks up the commands, but in Cardo's videos this is probably being said by the guy that lent his voice to the speech recognition team ;-)

Also "OK Google" only worked two or three times...

Worth noting a few things:

Voice activation is a setting, so make sure it's enabled.

Voice-activated commands by shouting "hey!" or whatever doesn't work on mine during communication. I suppose this is intentional so you don't accidentally activate the commands while chatting to your partner.

Voice recognition has been improved dramatically in firmware updates, especially for UK accents. So make sure your firmware is up to date.

And yeah, Cardo really have their unboxing experience down... it feels premium the moment you touch the box.

Given the above responses, I'm puzzled. I use a Sena 10C Pro and can barely hear it at all when using earplugs. Admittedly my bike is pretty load but even so it's been very disappointing. (I should add that I can hear the Sena's own audio (e.g. setting acknowledgements) more clearly than GPS audio from my phone.

Given the above responses, I'm puzzled. I use a Sena 10C Pro and can barely hear it at all when using earplugs. Admittedly my bike is pretty load but even so it's been very disappointing. (I should add that I can hear the Sena's own audio (e.g. setting acknowledgements) more clearly than GPS audio from my phone.

Yet I have no issues up to 120 mph with the packtalk with ear plugs!

Guest Richzx6r

Is there an option of turning up different audio settings as it could be set louder for setting acknowledgement than for other audio, or the phone audio settings could need changing

It's very important to place the speakers right by your ear.

I bought some cheap speakers off the net and this was the problem I faced. They worked fine but the indents for the speakers in the helmet weren't over my ears and the smallest offset made a huge difference.