Immobiliser that applies the bike's brakes?

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 500 times
Been Liked: 714 times

Re: Immobiliser that applies the bike's brakes?

#16 Post by Joeman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 am

Baloo wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 pm
ABS doesnt apply the brakes, it releases the brake line pressure as needed when you apply them, so the capability isn't already built in. However, there's no reason why you couldn't use a similar system to add pressure to the brake lines as opposed to releasing it.
But it also needs to reapply the brake after releasing it. That's why there is a big pump in the abs controler. Otherwise if it was just releasing pressure in an emergency situation your​ brake lever would pull back to the handle as the pressure was removed many times per second.
Brakes are also integrated with stability control systems.. not sure if that's the case in bikes yet, but certainly in cars the stability control system will use the abs system to apply individual brakes.

Screenshots from my BMW diagnostics software..
IMG_20170316_210620.jpg
IMG_20170316_210114.jpg
I don't think it would take many lines of code for BMW software team to have the pump spin up, apply pressure and close the valves to keep the pressure in the callipers..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onesea
Bike(s): Yamaha FZ6/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Challenge score: 70
Has Liked: 68 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#17 Post by onesea » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:23 am

Applied brakes can easily be "fixed" cut the brake hoses. or open a bleed screw. If they can whiz off chains and disc locks deactivating brakes should not be to hard...

Now if you could deactivate your own brakes that might be more effective, slowly darwinism might get to work..
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

TimR
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 182 times

#18 Post by TimR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 am

Basic way could be
If you still have non braided lines
Park up
Switch off
Apply front brake a few times then keeping the pressure on
Use

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/- ... oCHjHw_wcB

In a strategic place
Release brake lever
In theory and practice this will keep the pressure built up in the calipers to not allow the pistons to return
Remember to remove before moving off
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

TimR
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 182 times

#19 Post by TimR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 am

And in theory and sort of practice it would be possible but would require some development
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... s-sms-text
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

Westbeef
I torque a lot!
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 299 times
Been Liked: 597 times

#20 Post by Westbeef » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 am

Sounds like a great idea, it'd just have to be really spot on. If it was a dodgy setup imagine it just slammed your breaks on at whatever speed :shock:

Baloo
Bike(s): Tiger Sport 1050 & Daytona 955i
Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 173 times

#21 Post by Baloo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 am

Joeman wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 am
Baloo wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 pm
ABS doesnt apply the brakes, it releases the brake line pressure as needed when you apply them, so the capability isn't already built in. However, there's no reason why you couldn't use a similar system to add pressure to the brake lines as opposed to releasing it.
But it also needs to reapply the brake after releasing it. That's why there is a big pump in the abs controler.

I don't think it would take many lines of code for BMW software team to have the pump spin up, apply pressure and close the valves to keep the pressure in the callipers..
I'm aware of that, but it's doesn't apply the brakes and hold them there for potentially 6 months at a time over winter, it reapplies the brakes momentarily, restoring the pressure in the line, there's a big difference. Current ABS sensors used in the majority of bikes simply aren't designed for this type of use and would need a physical redesign. The larger BMW's may be able to do it, many of them have servo'd brakes like a car, but it would still need an engineer to look at it and do some testing as it wasn't in the original design brief.

leener
Bike(s): Triumph Sprint RS, Kawasaki ZZR600D, Honda 900RR
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 22 times

#22 Post by leener » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Motorbike theft is through the roof, especially in big cities.

We need something more to-the-point. Something more aggressive... more like the judge, jury, and the executioner in one package.

phpBB [media]
Anything you can ride, I can ride better. I can ride anything better than you. "No you can't"; yes I can! "No you can't"; yes I caaannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Mawsley
Bike(s): XT600E, CBF125, XJ900S
Challenge score: 310
Has Liked: 921 times
Been Liked: 1563 times

#23 Post by Mawsley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm

phpBB [media]

MDUBZ

#24 Post by MDUBZ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm

some interesting ideas on here: there seems to be 2 types on non key thefts
scenario 1) moped gang wheeling away
scenario 2) lift and throw into a van

scenario 1) steering locks get broken, locks get removed (battery angle grinder), bike is pushed away (1 c**t on the bike, 1 c**t on the moped with his foot on stolen bike to push it away)
scenario 2) assuming lock is attached to something immovable they cut through lock, pick up bike and throw bike in van

we have trackers, they are pretty effective, and big arse locks which are difficult to carry about (judging by the videos this only slows them down anyway).

scenario 1)
the idea of the removable clutch lever was a good one, having changed a clutch lever in less than 5 minutes a quick release device similar to a bicycle wheel would work, providing you left it in gear - could be easy to get round if gang had a quick release clutch lever of course you would hope they wouldn't carry or be able to carry every lever known to man so it would make it more difficult..

locking the brakes is another option but have others have said brake lines can be cut and these are likely to get stripped down so they aren't bothered about causing a bit of damage.

use the battery to electrically charge the bike / turn the grips into cattle prods so you fry the bast*rds when they try to take it - NB. must remember to switch it off before climbing on yourself..

2) buy something the bast*rds can't lift

unfortunately the only options available are make yours look less desirable than the bikes near by in the hope they try to steal those instead

Stocky
Bike(s): BMW R1200RT - Yamaha MT09
Challenge score: 700
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 28 times

#25 Post by Stocky » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm

https://youtu.be/xdLLdh1xECg

Maybe if your luggage is roomy enough you could get a Top Box Monkey?
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable

2017 Challenge 100

North Scotland - 3/10 Southern Scotland - 2/10 Northern England - 2/10 North Midlands - 10/10 Wales - 8/10
East of England - 0/10 South Midlands - 10/10 Southern England - 6/10 South-West England - 4/10 Pubs - 10/10