Help Required - Commuting / Leisure. New Rider!

Christ oh mighty, I thought choosing a bike was hard but selecting the right clothing etc is an absolute nightmare honestly! I am new to all this, but I never genuinely knew there was so much to it. Looking from the outside in, I thought (naively) that there would be a lot less choice in clothing.

Driven a car since I was 17, now turning 30 next year and thought the time was right to get on a bike now I've gained a bit of maturity and got all the bad stuff out my system.

I've opted for a Kawasaki ER-6F 2015 on the recommendation of a few people (including my bike school). I love the supersport looks but on a sports tourer. I will be using the bike mainly for leisure, a few trips a month and maybe commuting about 15 miles Ew potentially once or twice a week weather dependant.

I wear at work trousers and a shirt. No ties needed etc. but fairly smart casual. I am so stuck on what to buy - (safety is a real priority here also so I don't want to be riding to work or anywhere without the proper gear)

Do I get:-

- One set of leathers for leisure, and a separate set of textiles to wear over the top of my standard work clothes?

- A decent textile jacket, and 2 pairs of textile pants eg. 1x overtrousers/waterproofs and 1x pair for leisure riding?

- Just get the leathers and a top box with all my work stuff in

- What do I select first - Jacket/pants and then gloves / boots? Or vice versa?

I don't even know where to start on what type of boots/gloves to get not got that far.

Looking to get all this sorted as soon as possible. I am wondering if it best to go into a shop and just explain the situation and try a few bits on?

Definitely go to a shop to try stuff on, I ended up returning 2 jackets and trousers as they didn't fit properly buying online.

Size varies a lot across all the different brands, so it’s better to try stuff in the shop first. You can look for it online later to see if it’s cheaper, or try to get the store to price match a cheaper online deal.

I’ve started riding recently myself so I went for a textile jacket with removable thermal liner for the summer. Decent gloves and boots. Haven’t got jeans/trousers still o.O been riding in normal jeans.

But for work, you're probably best getting some textile trousers which fit over your office ones. Saves having to get naked at work!

Gloves you will need a summer and a winter pair (when the time comes). You will probably end up with a whole set of clothes for summer and winter riding, but your best bet is to start in a shop where you can try stuff on.

And take your time looking at it too, don't just grab the first thing you see. Shops will be used to this.

Safe riding :)

My tip would be, buy the least amount of kit you can get away with for now, and add to it as you work out what else you need. So as close to this as you can: one pair of gloves and boots, one jacket, pants and lid.

The other tip I'd have is to decide, before you get to a shop, whether you want leathers or textiles. Leathers are worn close-fitting and they're seldom waterproof, although you can wear waterproofs on top. Textiles are worn baggier, which means you wear your work clothes underneath, and you can add further layers to keep you warm in winter; they also tend to give much better protection from the rain. If I was thinking of doing most of my riding in fair weather, then my choice would be leathers + waterproofs, but it's down to personal preference. As it is, I have a good set of textiles, and I like the freedom they give to be riding whatever the English weather throws at me.

Yeah, buy the jacket and trousers first, then get the boots and gloves to suit.

If you can't get to a shop, try out sportsbikeshop.co.uk; they do free returns if it doesn't fit.

What's your budget? For the whole lot

I haven't set myself a budget as such but I guessed around £800. Not sure where that figure came from - what is probably more important to me is getting the stuff for the commute, so if I have to wait for another set I will do, or if I can get the textile set that will suit me for both, then brilliant.

Is that realistic??

I haven't set myself a budget as such but I guessed around £800. Not sure where that figure came from - what is probably more important to me is getting the stuff for the commute, so if I have to wait for another set I will do, or if I can get the textile set that will suit me for both, then brilliant.

Is that realistic??

So long as you don't count your helmet in that, £800 is enough. Budget more like a grand including your helmet.

It's not going to get you the most waterproof stuff in the world, but for the length of your commute that's not going to matter, it takes time for water to work its way through, and what separates most motorbike gear is not whether it lets in water, because unless you spend £1000 just on jacket and trousers, they all do eventually, what separates them is how many hours can you ride in the rain before it leaks, and you only have a 15 mile commute so you don't need to spend loads of money to get the most waterproof stuff.

But £800 is going to get you reputable, decent, stuff, without having to go for cheap shitty tat like Oxford or Frank Thomas. Nowhere is the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" more true than in motorbike gear.

On your budget you aren't going to afford both leather suits and textile suits, you need to buy something that will do everything you need initially, textile touring gear is typically the most "multi-purpose" with plenty pockets, vents, comfort, etc.

So, my advice would be:

One pair of Textile Jacket and Trousers. Buy something that has a waterproof/breathable membrane, a removable liner, and on the jacket has zippable vents. You want your jacket to serve you both Summer and Winter. The stuff that seems to have the best reputation for the money is

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/252176

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/255252

Buy trousers in a size that you can pull over the top of your work trousers in winter.

Any pair of waterproof/breathable touring boots from a reputable manufacturer, not much point me recommending anything in particular at it's going to depend what fits you, everyone has different shaped feet, you just need to shop around.

Gloves, you will need two pairs, winter and summer. Summer, buy what's comfortable and fits. Winter matters more, I'd highly recommend these.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/83815

Get a top box, if you are commuting you will need it, especially after all those years in a car no storage on the bike will drive you nuts, lunch, work shoes, trousers, waterproofs, laptop, a few spare sets of earplugs, tyre plugging kit, change of gloves, etc, etc. I have stuff that just lives in the top box permanently.

One or two pairs of Kevlar jeans for summer use, when wearing these carry your work trousers and get changed in the toilets when you get there. Plenty of threads on these if you do a search. Make sure they fit over your boots at the ankle.

You will also need a pair of waterproof over trousers, just in case you ride to work in kevlar in the morning, and it's pissing it down with rain by the time it comes to leave, nothing fancy £30 will do the job.

Helmet, go shopping and buy what fits you.

Typically to get something half decent you need to spend:

Jacket & trousers £400

Summer Gloves £50

Winter Gloves £100

Boots £150

Kevlar Jeans £100 each

Waterproof Over trousers £30

Helmet at least £150-200 (unless your head is not very valuable to you)

I commute in smart clothes too, I wear some thick armoured textile over trousers - horrible in hot weather in traffic but worth keeping my legs safe and I have a couple of jackets I choose from depending on weather.

- One set of leathers for leisure, and a separate set of textiles to wear over the top of my standard work clothes?

- A decent textile jacket, and 2 pairs of textile pants eg. 1x overtrousers/waterproofs and 1x pair for leisure riding?

You'll probably want all of the above eventually, textiles are great for winter and leathers summer. But the first option is probably the best to start. If you get good waterproof textiles they'll do you for leisure riding in the winter too.

- Just get the leathers and a top box with all my work stuff in

I personally wouldn't do it this way, I can't be bothered getting changed when I arrive.

- What do I select first - Jacket/pants and then gloves / boots? Or vice versa?

Everything.

Well, [mention]Baloo[/mention] has written almost exactly what I was going to, even down to recommending the RST Paragon 5 stuff!

Same as you [mention]Eddie650[/mention] I use my bike for a 12 mile commute, plus fun at the weekends, and will be doing longer touring too. I also do a weekly trip to other offices which means a 1-2 hour stint on motorways. When starting out I was very keen to make using the bike as easy as possible for work, especially when going to meetings or something where I didn't want to have to find a changing room.

I bought the RST Paragon 5 suit as I was starting out in winter, so wanted something pretty waterproof and with removable thermal liners for year-round use. I also bought Goretex gloves and boots.

In the 6 months since I've bought a brown waxed cotton jacket and kevlar jeans, both with armour, for wearing when wanting to look less like a biker on arrival somewhere, as well as summer gloves. My most recent purchase was a second-hand Spada Air Pro jacket, since the RST one was still a bit too hot when the temperature reaches the mid-20s, and with a trip to Spain and France in the summer I definitely needed something cooler. However the RST one has been great for 95% of the time so far, from November through to now.

I've also found these overtrousers pretty useful. Much easier to get over other trousers, and when matched with these Alpinestar Parlor Shoes I can just stash the trousers, helmet and gloves in my top-box, leaving me only the jacket to carry and making it pretty quick and easy to use the bike for meetings. Haven't tested the trousers in the rain, and not sure I'd use them all the time for longer journeys, but for a 12 mile commute on slowish roads I'm more than happy with them.

Having a second pair of normal shoes to leave in the office is really helpful too, for when you wear proper motorbike boots to ride in with.

Definitely recommend the top-box, and get as large a one as you can - the more you can get in, the easier it is to use a bike for work.

At the moment I have no need for leathers, and they definitely don't seem a practical option for commuting since you'll definitely have to get changed before and after every ride, rather than just throw stuff on top of your normal office clothes. Don't really see what they do that my textile stuff doesn't, and I like the versatility of the kit that I have.

There's no substitute for going and trying stuff on, and you'll quickly know when something fits properly. Get good advice about helmet fitting from someone in a shop though - they're generally pretty good at making sure something fits you properly. Fit matters significantly more than looks and colour-scheme.

Whereabouts are you? Wherever it is, there'll be someone here who can recommend a decent local shop or three.

No location so cannot help with shops...

I would buy a Sharp 4-5 star rated £100 helmet & some cheap but good protection clothing, jacket trousers, gloves & boots. Then start watching EBay facebook and other places for second hand.

It takes a while to work out what you like and don't like in clothing you wont get it right first time...

Is that realistic??

So long as you don't count your helmet in that, £800 is enough. Budget more like a grand including your helmet.

It's not going to get you the most waterproof stuff in the world, but for the length of your commute that's not going to matter, it takes time for water to work its way through, and what separates most motorbike gear is not whether it lets in water, because unless you spend £1000 just on jacket and trousers, they all do eventually, what separates them is how many hours can you ride in the rain before it leaks, and you only have a 15 mile commute so you don't need to spend loads of money to get the most waterproof stuff.

But £800 is going to get you reputable, decent, stuff, without having to go for cheap shitty tat like Oxford or Frank Thomas. Nowhere is the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" more true than in motorbike gear.

On your budget you aren't going to afford both leather suits and textile suits, you need to buy something that will do everything you need initially, textile touring gear is typically the most "multi-purpose" with plenty pockets, vents, comfort, etc.

So, my advice would be:

One pair of Textile Jacket and Trousers. Buy something that has a waterproof/breathable membrane, a removable liner, and on the jacket has zippable vents. You want your jacket to serve you both Summer and Winter. The stuff that seems to have the best reputation for the money is

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/252176

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/255252

Buy trousers in a size that you can pull over the top of your work trousers in winter.

Any pair of waterproof/breathable touring boots from a reputable manufacturer, not much point me recommending anything in particular at it's going to depend what fits you, everyone has different shaped feet, you just need to shop around.

Gloves, you will need two pairs, winter and summer. Summer, buy what's comfortable and fits. Winter matters more, I'd highly recommend these.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/83815

Get a top box, if you are commuting you will need it, especially after all those years in a car no storage on the bike will drive you nuts, lunch, work shoes, trousers, waterproofs, laptop, a few spare sets of earplugs, tyre plugging kit, change of gloves, etc, etc. I have stuff that just lives in the top box permanently.

One or two pairs of Kevlar jeans for summer use, when wearing these carry your work trousers and get changed in the toilets when you get there. Plenty of threads on these if you do a search. Make sure they fit over your boots at the ankle.

You will also need a pair of waterproof over trousers, just in case you ride to work in kevlar in the morning, and it's pissing it down with rain by the time it comes to leave, nothing fancy £30 will do the job.

Helmet, go shopping and buy what fits you.

Typically to get something half decent you need to spend:

Jacket & trousers £400

Summer Gloves £50

Winter Gloves £100

Boots £150

Kevlar Jeans £100 each

Waterproof Over trousers £30

Helmet at least £150-200 (unless your head is not very valuable to you)

Thanks a lot for this mate really appreciate the detail and advice.

The jacket and trousers look great and can get away with wearing them multi-purpose for time being. Gloves also looking good but they can wait for a couple of months just yet so that will save me a bit of cash and invest in a decent helmet.

Would you be comfortable wearing some chinos/work trousers under those RST's?

Also - What is the benefit of the Kevlar Jeans? Just some trousers so you don't need to wear anything else with them?

Thanks again - really helped

Yes can wear chinos under those, I wear suit trousers sometimes and so long as it doesn't get too hot and sweaty they aren't creased to bits when you arrive.

Kevlar jeans aren't as hot as textile trousers, but still offer some protection in a crash, and then when you get where you are going you don't need to walk around in motorbike gear, or find somewhere to store it, or carry it.

Well,....

Thanks a lot for this also, really gave me some good pointers.

As it happens, I'm only in Derby so a stones through away from you. I've had a browse through these forums and looks like J&S are widely recommended so I think I'll make my way over to the Notts branch as soon as I can - unless you can point me in a better direction perhaps?

Those over trousers you said - would you say they are adequate protection? I just keep thinking anything around that price bracket surely can't be that safe! Keep reading on here that you get what you pay for and see some overtrousers for £££'s rather than around the £40 mark!

Those over trousers you said - would you say they are adequate protection? I just keep thinking anything around that price bracket surely can't be that safe!

Over trousers are only to keep you dry, you still need to wear protective trousers underneath. The intention here was for them to go over Kevlar Jeans which are not waterproof. If you were expecting rain you'd wear your textile trousers. The over trousers are just to keep in your top box in case you are wearing kelvar jeans one day and get caught out by the British summer weather.

Shops.....

J&S Acccessories 8, Queens Court, Lenton Ln, Nottingham NG7 2NR https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/

MCA 160-162 Belgrave Gate, Leicester LE1 3XL https://www.mcaleicester.co.uk/

Moto Central Hinckley Rd, Wolvey, Hinckley LE10 3JG https://www.motocentral.co.uk/

The Bike Shop 68-72 Tamworth Rd, Long Eaton, Nottingham NG10 3LW http://www.bikeshop-uk.com/

CMC Clay Cross Derwent Buildings, High St, Clay Cross, Chesterfield S45 9DP http://www.cmcbikes.com/pages/motorcycle-clothing

This is the type of overtrousers I use, because they fold away into a stuff sack so take very little space in the top box, or can fit underneath most motorcycle seats

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/331829583092

If you need to wear them for a long time in hot weather or heavy rain, you are still going to get damp, either from sweat because they don't breathe, or because water does eventually get in somewhere (sitting on a motorbike in the rain is a bit like somebody pointing a jet wash at you, it takes some serious kit to withstand that much water over a long period of time), but if you are planning a long journey, or significant rain is forecast, you'd wear your textile trousers.

The other thing that is worth you looking at is motorcycle base layers, they are compression fit and go next to the skin and keep you warm in winter, and wick moisture away from the skin in summer, and keep the linings of the textiles off your skin. You probably wouldn't wear them on the way to work, but on long journeys or motorcycle holidays when you are wearing your textiles, they are a god send and make wearing a textile suit very comfortable. You can spend hundreds on merino wool which I'm sure are amazing, but I just wear the ones out of Aldi/Lidl that are about £5 to £10 each.

Motorcycle socks I also buy in Aldi/Lidl at abnout £3 a pair, and they are also compression fit and designed to stay still inside motorcycle boots, so you don't end up with your sock falling down and wrapping itself round your foot when you are trying to change gear or brake.

Also, believe it or not, because I do a lot of long distance touring and can do 500 plus miles in a day, and sometimes 14 hours riding, I have motorcycle underpants!! Compression fit boxer shorts from Under Armour, stop the material in cotton boxers rolling up around your crotch and chafing, or folding/creasing between your thighs/butt and the plastic seat of the bike, and giving you "monkey butt" (google it) which is bloody painful.

Welcome to the world of motorcycle gear! It's a passion, we don't do it because it's convenient, easy or simple!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those over trousers you said - would you say they are adequate protection? I just keep thinking anything around that price bracket surely can't be that safe!

Over trousers are only to keep you dry, you still need to wear protective trousers underneath. The intention here was for them to go over Kevlar Jeans which are not waterproof. If you were expecting rain you'd wear your textile trousers. The over trousers are just to keep in your top box in case you are wearing kelvar jeans one day and get caught out by the British summer weather.

Shops.....

J&S Acccessories 8, Queens Court, Lenton Ln, Nottingham NG7 2NR https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/

MCA 160-162 Belgrave Gate, Leicester LE1 3XL https://www.mcaleicester.co.uk/

Moto Central Hinckley Rd, Wolvey, Hinckley LE10 3JG https://www.motocentral.co.uk/

The Bike Shop 68-72 Tamworth Rd, Long Eaton, Nottingham NG10 3LW http://www.bikeshop-uk.com/

CMC Clay Cross Derwent Buildings, High St, Clay Cross, Chesterfield S45 9DP http://www.cmcbikes.com/pages/motorcycle-clothing

Those are the shops I'd suggest too.

My overtrousers do claim to be protective, not just waterproof - they're made of cordura and have knee pads, but don't feel nearly as convincing as the RST ones.

As it happens, I'm only in Derby so a stones through away from you. I've had a browse through these forums and looks like J&S are widely recommended so I think I'll make my way over to the Notts branch as soon as I can - unless you can point me in a better direction perhaps?

Well if you ever want a (relatively inexperienced) helping hand, more than happy to meet up. :thumb:

Thank you all very much for your guidance!

Off the back of this I've ordered the RST jacket / trousers recommended above and got them at a great price ! Should be here Tuesday time, bike should be delivered next week!

Theory passed today, CBT Booked for Tuesday, Test will follow shortly!

Every week you get people who sign up to this forum and say "I want to get a bike", "I want to do my CBT", yadda, yadda, yadda, and ask for advice, then they never post again. Time wasters for whom getting a bike was a one week fad to give them something to google for on the internet, and they never actually do it, because it was never much more than a dream and a bit of chatter in the first place.

It's a pleasure to be able to help a genuine new biker who's actually got the bike, getting the gear, and doing the training!

Welcome!

Well... been to J&S this morning and 24 hours after having no clue, I now still have virtually no clue but now all the gear !

The guys down there were brilliant at Nottingham.

On order - RST Paragon series 5 Jacket & Trousers

Got - RST Paragon waterproof/breathable boots

HJC Helmet (seemed very cheap but guy was adamant this is decent!? Said it was number 1 best seller!)

RST Summer gloves

This should be sound to get me going for now once again thanks for the help :D

Bike should be delivered by Friday, really looking forward to just getting the lessons and test done now. Safe riding and onwards and upwards !

My HJC was very comfy and worked well, in some ways it was better than my Shoei GT-air.

I gave mine to a mate who was starting out, he loves it.

I think HJC are the largest manufacturer of helmets in the world (read that somewhere, no idea where) so don't be worried about a HJC helmet!