What Clothing Do I Need

Guest sparky-08

HI All,

I will be riding about in the UK, probably commuting to work and back (50 mile round trip, some motorway, some forest roads) in all seasons, any advice on the kind of clothing i should be looking for, makes to "avoid", what kind of material, textile or leather etc?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I dont mind paying a bit more for better quality, leather is cheaper than skin! :-)

Thanks

Andy

HI All,

I will be riding about in the UK, probably commuting to work and back (50 mile round trip, some motorway, some forest roads) in all seasons, any advice on the kind of clothing i should be looking for, makes to "avoid", what kind of material, textile or leather etc?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I dont mind paying a bit more for better quality, leather is cheaper than skin! :-)

Thanks

Andy

Very good attitude to have mate. :thumb:

Obviously a helmet... It's the law. After that though it's down to you. Make sure you get one that fits your head... We all have different shapes and some helmets simply don't sit right... Arai's are awesome helmets, but it sat totally wrong on my head so was useless... Tries a Shoei and it fits perfectly!!! Should be a tight fit as well.

Gloves. Make sure you get some that allow good freedom of movement and good protection.... Chances are in an off your hands will be one of the first things to touch the road as you instinctivley put them out to stop yourself. After that mate, if you are riding in winter make sure they have warmth and waterproof.... Nothing worse than cold wet hands!!

Boots. Same as Gloves really. Again good protection, waterproof and warm if riding in winter, although you can get good socks to keep you warmer.

Jacket and Trousers. Up to you on this one. Either get leathers and by an oversuit to protect them against rain, or get textiles which will more than likely be waterproof.... Again if riding in winter, I would go for textiles as they are generally warmer. Technology has moved forward so much nowadays that unless you come off at insane speeds you will get as much protections from textiles as you would from leathers. If you can afford it, have summer leathers and winter textiles!! :D :D :D Make sure that the jacket has CE approved armour in the shoulders and elbows as well.

Back Protector. A lot of people don't wear these, but £100 to save your spine being snapped in 2 in an accident sounds like a bargain to me.

Lastly remember the little things. Different visors for different weather conditions, ear plugs (Wind noise will eventually send you deaf if you don't wear them), I wear a balaclava under my lid purely for comfort reasons, but at the same time it stops my helmet stinking from sweat. My winter balaclava also has neck protection from the wind as well.

If you are riding through winter I would recommend thermals as well. Look at Cold Killers clothing. Awesome stuff. Comfy and really protects again the cold.

Gloves best to get 2 pairs really one for summer use and one for winter/wet use!

I also will add that you dont have to spend a fortune on good quality stuff,just cos a helmet costs the earth dont mean its better to such an extent, you can save on not necessarily buying the latest upgrade, but do make sure it fits right and buy one that you have tried on.

i just bought a full torso body armour complete with back protector for £38

from a company on ebay. excellent purchase. My helmet is a lazer lz6, 5 star safety rating

for £64, bargain. here's where i need some advice guys, i just bought a spada jacket and its got pads in the shoulders and elbows, but no back protector in it. could i get away with wearing the armour and the jacket or would that be over the top. At least i would be extra protected?

many thanks in advance

from a company on ebay. excellent purchase. My helmet is a lazer lz6, 5 star safety rating

for £64, bargain. here's where i need some advice guys, i just bought a spada jacket and its got pads in the shoulders and elbows, but no back protector in it. could i get away with wearing the armour and the jacket or would that be over the top. At least i would be extra protected?

many thanks in advance

The pads in the jacket are normally removeable mate.

many thanks in advance

The pads in the jacket are normally removeable mate.

Hurrah, the pads are removable. I'm so much happier :lol:

Hi All,

Right i have managed to make myself a list of what i am looking at, please feel free to advise as required...

Frank Thomas Full Force Advance Jacket - FTW274

Frank Thomas Full Force Advance Trousers - FTW275

Knox Aeigis Back Protector

Oxford Boots - Leather Waterproof

Caberg or Shark Lid - Not sure exactly which one yet

Standard Riding Gloves

I am keeping the colours neutral as i dont know the colour bike i am getting yet.

Thanks

Andy