Buying a Back Protector? Look here first!!

Back Protectors

When I first got in to biking I read a story about a rider who was hit from behind while stationary by a big car travelling at about 50mph while he was waiting at a junction. Before hitting the floor his bike had been shunted forward while he was sat on it. The force had thrown him off the back (His spine hitting his top box on the way), he had landed, (Back first) on the section of the car where the top of the windscreen and the roof meet then rolled over the car and landed on the floor. He jumped to his feet before the car that hit him had even stopped.

He was wearing a back protector which he is sure saved his spine. He had to buy a new one as it had broken in the collision. Without a doubt his back would have been broken if it were not for his back protector.

This story made me realise that a back protector significantly raises your chances of walking away from a bad accident. In my eyes they are as important as a helmet.

Some of you reading this may have seen me say this before, but I am going to repeat it here. “What’s the point of wearing an expensive helmet to protect your brain, if your brain can’t send signals to your arms and legs to move them because you broke your spine in an accident?”

Which one to get?

That’s up to you. If you are going to get one though, go for a CE approved or CE Level 2 approved one (The highest CE Rating available). Some come with extra protection such as tailbone protection, chest protection and kidney protection belts. Whatever you want from yours get it. The more popular brands are Knox, Alpinestar and Forcefield but others are available.

Fitting

They come in different sizes for different people. I got one (Knox) that had a measuring guide and I made sure I used it. Mine is very comfy and I don’t even notice it while riding or walking around in it.

Before getting my Knox though I bought an Alpinestar protector with my Alpinestar jacket. This one actually fitted into my jacket. In the end even though it was CE approved I was not happy about it as it did not protect me as well as others and could have moved around in an accident which could be bad news.

I also found with my “In jacket” back protector that the most important part of my spine (The top section just below the neck) was not protected. Break this part and you will probably be wheelchair bound for the rest of your life. It’s the bit that carries signals from your brain to your arms and legs. Make sure this part is protected.

If you go to get one fitted take your riding gear with you… How annoyed are you going to be when you blow £100 on a back protector to get it home and find that when you are wearing it you can’t fasten your jacket up at the front?

Ownership

They don't take too much looking after. I must admit mine makes me sweat in the warmer weather so I always make sure it dry's out and air's off when I have finished for the day.

Obviously if you are involved in an accident and it breaks then chuck it away and buy a new one.

Please note this is only a guide and you should consult people who have a lot of experience and/or training in this matter.