Good Waterproof Phone Mounts?

Want a waterproof phone mount, for my phone (obviously) to use gps instead of spending a couple hundred quid on a satnav.

And was wondering if someone could link me to one that I can fit my iPhone in, and is waterproof? My old one was shit, the case was always unclipping from the holder.

Here you go Mate

http://www.ultimateaddons.co.uk/Vehicle ... cessoriese,

Just remember to get a designated charger to connect your phone to your bikes power supply, with your phone connecting to GPS your battery will soon get rinsed.

+1 to that. I have the Ultimate Addons case - here's a link that works http://www.amazon.co.uk/UltimateAddons- ... B005UYGXXE - it's good for the money. As Chris says you'll need to work out a way of getting power to it. A 12V cigarette lighter socket to the battery with a USB plug will work, just remember to keep it water tight.

I saw that Interphone have brought a case out for iPhones as well whilst in GetGeared the other day - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interphone-Ipho ... B00BZ5NAU6 not tried it but looks solid, but nothing more than the Ultimate Addons case and is twice the price. Maybe it does something more, but I couldn't see what.

Bear in mind that phones get hot while using sat nav and in the sun. Whilst in France 2 years ago my iPhone helpfully displayed a giant yellow warning triangle and "Temperature" just when I was trying to find my hotel at 11pm. Perfect. That said it had been in my tank bag all day with the sun shining down on it - perfect greenhouse effect!

The Ultimate Addons case will probably fair much, much better.

I have one of these cheap and cheerful affairs:

http://www.arkon.com/images/bike-mount/GPS032.jpg

(Available for hundreds of eBay sellers for a couple of quid)

I was forced to rely on using a GPS speedo app on my phone for a considerable length of time because the speedo on my BMW didn't want to work. This thing always stayed in place, never shook loose, never let rain in. And I did a lot of rainy miles, and rode on a lot of crappy bumpy roads. The bracket is easy enough to adjust, and even managed to get it clamped onto something as narrow as the cross-brace of my bars. Comes with lots of foam inserts to hold the phone tightly in place. Oh, and it has a little water resistant opening in the bottom (I believe the technical name is "rubber bumhole thing") for a power cable to go in.

I had issues with ultimate addons reseller buybits

My mount vibrated to destruction and they said that it wasn't designed for my bike!!!

I mentioned solicitors and not fit for purpose and eventually got a replacement mount.

Apart from that, the kit is great!

Want a waterproof phone mount, for my phone (obviously) to use gps instead of spending a couple hundred quid on a satnav.

And was wondering if someone could link me to one that I can fit my iPhone in, and is waterproof? My old one was shit, the case was always unclipping from the holder.

What model iPhone do you have?

What model iPhone do you have?

I phone 4 or 4S, no difference between them really.

I was forced to rely on using a GPS speedo app on my phone for a considerable length of time because the speedo on my BMW didn't want to work. This thing always stayed in place, never shook loose, never let rain in. And I did a lot of rainy miles, and rode on a lot of crappy bumpy roads. The bracket is easy enough to adjust, and even managed to get it clamped onto something as narrow as the cross-brace of my bars. Comes with lots of foam inserts to hold the phone tightly in place. Oh, and it has a little water resistant opening in the bottom (I believe the technical name is "rubber bumhole thing") for a power cable to go in.

x2 and found it to be very waterproof.

This one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iKross-Universa ... one+holder

Used a couple of times and seems ok. Plenty of foam shims to support the phone. Bracket seems OK. Have looped a cable tie through for the first few times to make sure!

Having posted this link a couple of days ago I have now ride through some pretty horrendous reason in Scotland. The case is dry as long as zips at bottom! Only moisture that gets in is steam from radiator below sheet u stop. Very happy!

• 1 year later...

x2 and found it to be very waterproof.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56097&stc=1&d=1383380241

Turns out that voice directions alone are not always sufficient, particularly in a new city at night during rush hour, so I want a mount for my phone so that I can see the screen on the odd occasions it's needed.

Just wondering if there's any advance on the Arkon mount for a decent waterproof option?

Also, for those that have them, are they quick to take off the mount when not needed? Diagrams/photos make it look like there's a screw needed each time.

http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk/content/images/thumbs/0010003_arkon-bike-handlebar-golf-buggy-mount-water-resistant-case-holder-for-samsung-galaxy-s5-sm-g900-appl.jpeg

The base of it stays attached to the bars, the front bit comes off easily. See that collar around the ball joint on the back of the phone compartment? You loosen that a bit then the ball joint separates easily. And they're easy to loosen or tighten even with gloves on.

Oh and I really must stress just how much rain mine had to put up with :lol:

The BMW's speedo didn't work properly for the first year I had it, so my phone had to be on permanent GPS speedo duties. So in other words I did ~10,000 miles of riding with that mounted on my bike. Seeing it rains something like 30% of the time in England (I vaguely skim read some official looking thing to get that number), that's 3000 odd miles of unending rain without a drop getting inside. Pretty darn waterproof!

:cheers:

Ah, so the bronze set screw isn't the bit which secures it then. That was my concern, thanks both. :thumb:

Next question - reckon it'll fit in a Galaxy Note 4?

H: 153.5 mm (6.04 in)

W: 78.6 mm (3.09 in)

D: 8.5 mm (0.33 in)

Some sites say up to 14cm phones, but as it's not rigid I'm hoping it might have some flex in it!

Ah, so the bronze set screw isn't the bit which secures it then. That was my concern, thanks both. :thumb:

Next question - reckon it'll fit in a Galaxy Note 4?

H: 153.5 mm (6.04 in)

W: 78.6 mm (3.09 in)

D: 8.5 mm (0.33 in)

Some sites say up to 14cm phones, but as it's not rigid I'm hoping it might have some flex in it!

Don't forget to leave room for the charging lead :wink:

Dedicated sat nav bluetooth headset and all linked to mobile what more do you need :mrgreen:

Several hundred quid? :lol:

I'd get the Sat Nav if doing serious touring, but mobile and headset is fine for now.

Yeah that is the downside to it!

Although my first dedicated bike sat nav lasted 8 or 9 years before the upgrade! if this one lasts as long I will be happy

Phones are getting better and better every day I have just got a new phone and have yet to try it out as a sat nav although I tend not to bother as I have a bike one and one in the car but I will have to try it :lol:

It won't be long and a lot of people will just switch to a mobile rather than a sat nav!

I prefer a dedicated unit and I can play music through it if I want or music from the phone through the sat nav to the headsets or radio on the headsets too but usually end up just listening to the wife telling me to slow down :roll: :lol: