Clothing Sizes

Hi folks

I'm in the process of going through my DAS, just waiting to do my theory which ive had to rearrange twice due to work but i've started to get some stuff together in preparation for when it comes around and hopefully pick a bike up after going through the test.

I went to Oakmere J&S at the weekend and the first purchase was a good pair of waterproof gloves. Had a chat to one of the lads whilst there about helmets as that'll be next when pay day comes around.

On the way out i spotted a few textile jackets that caught my eye in their sale, both by RST and seemed to fit the bill in terms of what i was looking for in a jacket. The jackets were labelled a 4XL (im a 2XL in normal clothing and a loose fit), however after trying them on they fitted like a Medium! What the...

In general is bike clothing alot smaller than standard UK sizes? I was abit baffled, however as i wont be getting jacket/pants until after the helmet then i didnt speak to the guys instore about it.

Cheers

Scholesy

Definitely seem smaller when you have removable thermal layers abd stuff. I have 4xl alpinestars gear (alpinestars seem to be a smaller fit than other brands). And it fits ne perfectly, where as I can fit into 2XL in other brands.

The jackets were labelled a 4XL (im a 2XL in normal clothing and a loose fit), however after trying them on they fitted like a Medium! What the...

The bit my misses hated most when she started going Pillion, females go up a out 3-5 sizes for motorbike gear... You can imagine how they feel about that :crybaby:

The Triumph gear I've got tends to come up a bit on the large side........The thing to watch is that some manufacturers put continental sizes on their labels.......so a 46 jacket is actually a 36" chest or thereabouts......... :wink:

, females go up a out 3-5 sizes for motorbike gear... You can imagine how they feel about that :crybaby:

luckily most of us value our skin more than a number on a jacket :wink:

women's sizes are a joke though. I was trying on jeans a while back and varied between a 10 and 18! Hoggfather was very patient whilst I had to try on ALL THE JEANS :lol: The store guy was obviously used to it and let me wear them out the store (after paying of course :lol: )

always try the gear on if possible, i ordered some motorbike jeans online, size 36 but i barely squeeze into them.

Not sure if its differently sized or if im getting to be a fatty :lol:

Once I've solved Hilbert's Problems, Thurston's 24 Questions and DARPA's Math Challenges, I plan on attempting to find the link between the sizing on bike clothes and actual measurements.

Clothing sizes are idiotic in general. I'm 6'5" and weight ~15 stone, yet my Oxford gear is a medium and fits great. Because that makes perfect sense.

Any half decent clothes should be sold on actual measurements, not arbitrary size classes.

I think that part of the issue is that 'normal' clothes tend to have vanity sizing ie the claimed size is somewhat less than the real size. From what I've seen motorbike sizing seems nearer to real.

If you really want to see silly sizing try looking at cycling gear. I've a couple of 6XL tops. The XL's that I tried (my normal size) were like kids clothes.