Security in Garage

I'm renting a house for 6 months and my bike will be kept in the garage while I'm here. The garage has got mains power and is within range of the house wifi.

Can anyone recommend what I should do security wise?

I'll have a brake lock fitted on the bike. I can't fit a floor anchor as it's not my house.

I was thinking of getting a camera which would connect to the wifi and text/email me if any movement is detected. Though I don't know what I would do if this went off when I was in work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Working on the principle that nothing will stop a determined thief I go for deterring the less determined variety.

First thing is can you make the garage door harder to open? Ask your landlord if you can install a better lock on the door - so long as you make it clear you will leave it when you move out they may be willing to allow you to do this.

Next would be some form of alarm in the garage. Plenty of DIY systems available which you can take with you when you leave.

Then the obvious of adding more chains and locks to the bike. If you can't lock it to a ground anchor you can at least have longer chains/cables running through the wheels and frame. You might also get a scrap car engine block and attach that to the bike. Anything that makes it harder for thieves works because most of them are lazy and only go for easy pickings.

A wifi camera/alarm system is a good measure - especially if you can record it. It's less of a prevention but at least if the worst happened you'd have some evidence for the police. The last break in we had the clowns realised they'd been filmed breaking in so they stole the CCTV monitor leaving the actual recording system behind. We got a lovely shot of them in the office removing the monitor - the police who attended were wetting themselves at the thieves stupidity. We are not talking about the brightest of the species here.

Hope your new home works well for you.

I have a wireless IP camera with two way sound and audible alarm, so if its set off it will alarm, record, send me a mail and I can then go into and hear/speak to the perpetrators.

All for less than £40 :thumb:

although its currently set up to catch the nobhead who keeps letting his dog crap on my driveway

My words of advice would be to make any extra security you put in place invisible from the outside. Nothing says "I have something expensive in here" like a garage fully loaded with security.

My garage looks perfectly normal from the outside, with a "Warning - Dangerous dogs" sign on the side gate (get a motion senor speaker too if you like!) and a car parked up close the the front door. Noone would think "whats in that garage...?".

Also, keep an eye on whose watching or hanging around when you are coming home. A number of occasions I've noticed suspicious looking mopeds and cars apparently following me. I end up going for a ride somewhere else to get rid of them before going home.

Good advice from all, I'm in a similar situation in that I am getting my first bike in a few weeks and need to beef up my garages non-existent security.

I'm definitely getting a ground anchor and big chain for the bike and some additional discreet locks on the garage

Good advice from all

Don't mention it - just doing my bit to help the community 8-)

The snag with the puppies method is the 4% of criminals who will break in just to steal the puppies.

A basketful of cats works much better. By the time the thief has rounded them all up the police have been, made the arrest, filled in the paperwork, had the trial and sent him down. Actually by now he's usually gone insane and been committed to a secure medical facility.

Cats. Better than dogs.

Thanks for the amazing advice all (Even the puppies).

The plan is to check with the landlord if he would be willing to let me put a wall anchor in.. and then get an anchor and chain. Also, I have a wireless webcam which connects to my wifi and alerts me if the door's opened.

It's pretty hard to hide the motorbike - most of the neighbours will hear me coming and going. Though I'll definitely keep an eye out for who's behind me when getting near my house now.

:)

I have a wireless IP camera with two way sound and audible alarm, so if its set off it will alarm, record, send me a mail and I can then go into and hear/speak to the perpetrators.

All for less than £40 :thumb:

although its currently set up to catch the nobhead who keeps letting his dog crap on my driveway

Where did you get your camera from?