New bike security

Hey all.

Doing my CBT in 2 weeks, not had a bike for 30 odd years so looking forward to it. Getting a KTM125 Duke on a 66plate. Comes with a Meta 357 TV2 alarm. At home will be locked in a garage but will add a ground anchor and decent chain.

For work and out and about I don't want to lug a heavy chain about. As I have the alarm I'm thinking a solid disc lock on the front (new to me!) and more as a visual deterrent an armoured cable lock as the alarm and disc lock will back it up and be easier and lighter to carry. Any ideas?

There's a shed load of makes and costs of disc locks, any recommendations for a 2016 125 Duke or are they pretty standard?

Cheers.

If you aren't strapping a chain between it and something unloveable it'll just get lifted into a van, alarm or no alarm. Disk locks only deter opportunist chavs, but they won't be the main ones targeting a KTM125.

IMO, alarms are a fantastic con perpetrated by the alarm industry. Bike, house, car - it doesn't matter because nobody ever pays attention. At least the house ones just annoy everyone when they go wrong, bike ones prevent you from riding.

Get a bag that straps to the seat and carry as big and as expensive chain/lock as you can afford. Always lock it to something. Don't leave the chain touching the ground. Better, two chains.

If you aren't strapping a chain between it and something unloveable it'll just get lifted into a van, alarm or no alarm. Disk locks only deter opportunist chavs, but they won't be the main ones targeting a KTM125.

IMO, alarms are a fantastic con perpetrated by the alarm industry. Bike, house, car - it doesn't matter because nobody ever pays attention. At least the house ones just annoy everyone when they go wrong, bike ones prevent you from riding.

Get a bag that straps to the seat and carry as big and as expensive chain/lock as you can afford. Always lock it to something. Don't leave the chain touching the ground. Better, two chains.

Must agree about alarms,I once saw on TV a Ducati being manhandled into a refrigerated lorry which was sound proofed by the insulation .All in daylight in a busy London street and nobody took any notice. Get a big chain.

Disc lock on the front > pick the front up, wheel it at the rear wheel to the van.

The most effective deterrent will be a combination of devices.

Chain, 2 disc locks and a cover may seem like overkill but it will probably prevent the feeling of absolute being absolutely lost when you see your bike isn't where you left it...

Here in London I know the theft rate is high but owners really don't even make it difficult. You can walk up oxford street right now and see plenty of blades and tasty bikes without any kind of security.

The more security you can use the better.

They'll take one look and think, sod it lets find an easier target (thats the theory anyway)

Even a 1mtr 16mm thru the rear wheel will be better then just a disc lock and cable lock, try to secure to an immovable object but thats not always possible.

Thanks food for thought!

Need to suss out what chains I can comfortably get on the bike have a Kriega RC25 pack. I can always leave the chain at work. Get a 2nd one for the garage.

Edited by montys1

When you insure a bike there should be a drop down list of hundreds of locks and other security devices. Get one of them so you can reduce your insurance a bit. Thatcham is a good indication of a decent lock etc.

Before you get a disc lock, make sure it will fit your bike. There are so many combinations of disc style and lock, not all do fit, especially smaller padlock style ones.

Get your bike security marked, that will put off professionals out to steal and sell on the bike or its parts.

I just use disc locks. I have a heavy duty chain to go around the back wheel and through the chain if at I am in an area I am unsure of, or if a I am leaving it overnight.

Sadly, if they want to take it, they will regardless of what you secure it with.

New Hondas come with Datatag. The Dealer wouldn't put the tamperproof labels on the bike. When I asked why, "owners don't like them". It goes on the framework under the handlebars and is only visible when steering is on full lock. This owner would rather have the warning label on there then find the bike down the road ditched when they saw the UV etchings on every panel...

They are usually after high value bikes, apparently Vespa GTS300 are the most nicked in London.

Who are you doing your CBT with? I notice you are in Farnbrorough where I did my CBT and Das

Hi Im covering as many bases with security as I can.

It's got the Meta 357 TV2 alarm, will have an Abus ground anchor in the garage with the Abus 58 12 Kks chain and U Lock combo. At work and when out and about will also use the 58 12 chain plus an Abus disc lock Granit Quick 37 mini. Plus I've ordered a smart water kit. Can't do anymore than that!

I'm doing the CBT with Excellerate at Mytchett Community Centre.