Let's talk about boots...

Not the chemist, so put your loyalty cards away! Biking boots. More specifically boots that can sort of pass for almost casual but have reinforced ends for my delicate hooves when I gear change and shin/ankle protection for when some idiot tourist decides to knock me off.

The other day I went and got a new helmet. With my card in my hand I went a bit mad and got a nice two piece leather matching outfit and some matching boots. It's a great fit and perfect for when I want to look like a stormtrooper, but not something I'm always going to want to wear.

My initial boots were definitely inadequate protection, as was the jacket, so I have replaced the jacket but am now looking around for some boots to wear for when I'm wearing Kevlar jeans rather than pretending to be Commander Cody...

Anyone know any obvious brands for great protection that can almost pass for casual boots? Shops around here are few and don't have anything I liked the look of, so may resort to tinternet or go farther afield if need be (Plymouth, Exeter, maybe even brizzle but I've not gone that far on my bike yet)...

Fire away team tmbf!

I absolutely love my Alt-bergs Made to measure, stupidly comfortable, never leak and keep me warm when I need them too, and not too warm when it's hot outside. Possibly the best boots I have ever bought (not just bike boots- I love boots in general...)

I did have to visit Yorkshire, twice, for them however. But if you are a normal size I'm sure they will post to you.

J&S in Plymouth always seem to have a good selection of boots and sizes when I'm there. I did spend about 3hrs in there trying on various boots...

I have some Prexport Passo boots, these:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206486

So far very comfortable, and waterproof. Im a size 43 in shoes and the 43 boots are a good fit, and very easy to get on and off.

They are only mid-length, so higher than regular shoes but not as high as most bike boots - think along the lines of walking boots.

Also they won't break the bank either :)

Thanks both, much appreciated.

The prexport look like something I could be comfortable with, definitely the lead contender and after having gone a bit bonkers buying toys and stuff recently, the more modest price is very much what I'm looking for!

Anymore for anymore, suggestionswise gang?

Hehe, I only wear trainers when I'm in the gym or running tbh but thanks for the idea, I'm sure someone reading will find them interesting :). Very much a boots person even when not on a bike.

I have some Dainese pro-ins, they've been great.

Really comfortable aswell.

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/561160/thompsondainesinnies.jpg

I absolutely love my Alt-bergs Made to measure, stupidly comfortable, never leak and keep me warm when I need them too, and not too warm when it's hot outside. Possibly the best boots I have ever bought (not just bike boots- I love boots in general...)

I did have to visit Yorkshire, twice, for them however. But if you are a normal size I'm sure they will post to you.

J&S in Plymouth always seem to have a good selection of boots and sizes when I'm there. I did spend about 3hrs in there trying on various boots...

Did you have to visit the factory in richmond by any chance?

Its a great place, making awesome boots, never thought of using them for riding though

Yup, that's where i went. I visited only because I was having major problems finding size 4.5 boots that fit my calves, that are not lace up.

My altbergs are actually size 4.5 soles attached to size 6/7 uppers. And although they are custom made, because they did not have to make a custom last or upper they just charged me the normal going rate. Really enjoyed visiting them o be honest. Really friendly and knowledgeable guys.

My walking boots are also altbergs. Can't fault them a bit.