bike intercom

I'm thinking about buying an intercom so me and the old girl can talk while on the bike (not sure if its a good thing though)

and so me and my mate can chat to, are they any good and dose anyone have preferences

We have a pair of Q3's I bought from a guy on gumtree for £100. They were still in their plastic wrappings and had never been used. They work an absolute treat. Battery lasts for ages and can connect to phones with ease.

Some may disagree but I picked up a pair of intercoms on eBay for £60. Not had any problems so far and they do the job well enough... clear audio, simple to pair up, battery life is good, signal distance is more than enough for my needs.

Of course, if your budget extends to get something more known then why not!? But I'm just saying that the cheaper ones can work just as well.

I'm thinking about buying an intercom so me and the old girl can talk while on the bike (not sure if its a good thing though)

I will never understand why this is a desirable thing.

Some may disagree but I picked up a pair of intercoms on eBay for £60. Not had any problems so far and they do the job well enough... clear audio, simple to pair up, battery life is good, signal distance is more than enough for my needs.

Of course, if your budget extends to get something more known then why not!? But I'm just saying that the cheaper ones can work just as well.

Up to what speed?

bt intacom 1200 or similar?? like this

51MswAJwV1L._SY355_.jpg

DO NOT GET THEM WET!! ours were fine until a downpour :lol:

Autocom.

It worked at all speeds.

Autocom are very good, I had one for a few years but I went Bluetooth because I was fed up with being tethered to the bike. My wife and I have Scala G4s and we can hear each other up to about 90, any more than that and I'm concentrating and not listening anyway :shock:

Up to what speed?

The most I have had the bottle to do was 107.

bt intacom 1200 or similar?? like this

51MswAJwV1L._SY355_.jpg

DO NOT GET THEM WET!! ours were fine until a downpour :lol:

Not those ones exactly but something similar. I personally don't ride in the rain so my intercom wouldn't get wet so I can't comment on the weather proofing.

Up to what speed?

The most I have had the bottle to do was 107.

That's good (the intercom I mean not the speed) one of the complaints in the online reviews about the cheaper eBay units was they were practically useless above 65mph, and is one of the main reasons I went for Sena was all the reviews say the sound quality and clarity is the best of the lot. The other reason though is I wanted an invisible built in system, not something bolted on the side, so I went for a Sena 10U. My son / wife have a Sena SMH5.

So I've had cheapo Chinese ones from ebay, sena 20s, scala g9x and currently have scala packtalk.

Out of all the above, packtalk is hands down the best intercom I've had and I would go so far as to wager it the best intercom on the market.

For just talking or listening to music when riding solo, the cheapo Chinese ones are fine.

If you're after a more advanced set up with the ability to connect with multiple devices or listen to music at the same time you will need something a bit better.

I'll state now that the G9x is a piece of crap that is best avoided. Doesn't allow music at the same time as intercom and has a poor Bluetooth connection so music will constantly stop and start.

The sena 20s would be a very very good unit and to be fair to it, it is... But it has one major flaw. It isn't waterproof. I know this incredibly well having had 5 units!!!

The Packtalk is amazing. What it does has to be a breakthrough in technology for motorcycle intercoms...

Its connection to devices and other paired intercoms is great. No issues whatsoever there. You can listen to music at the same time as being on intercom and have the ability to adjust music level to intercom. Sena has this ability but the music is quiet as voice detected... Gets annoying.

Connecting to other packtalk devices is great with the DMC mode... You don't need to press any buttons, as soon as someone is within range of your pack, you instantly pick up communications.

You can bridge a phone call or other paired intercom with another packtalk. So I'm in a intercom with my girlfriend and my dad calls... A press of the button and we're in a 3-way chat.

Connect 2 Bluetooth devices at once plus be on intercom. You can connect a sat nav, phone for music and be on intercom and get audio from all 3 sources.

The packtalk has so many little features which make the riding experience more pleasureable bit it would take a thread for itself in order to do it justice.

Had the 20S since it came out, in fact before it went on general release, and ride in some monumental storms when I get caught out in the mountains. Never had a problem with water ingress.

I do use silicon oil around the rubber bung just as I use it on GoPro door seals and buttons. Maybe that is why.

My Sena 10U is integrated within the helmet, so no worries about waterproofing. For the intercom / music volume issue switch off VOX Intercom and just press the button to start intercom. I prefer this anyway as my pillion doesn't want to hear me singing or swearing at other motorists, and I don't want to hear every noise they make either. If you have to press a button it means you only talk when you actually have something to say.

Had the 20S since it came out, in fact before it went on general release, and ride in some monumental storms when I get caught out in the mountains. Never had a problem with water ingress.

I do use silicon oil around the rubber bung just as I use it on GoPro door seals and buttons. Maybe that is why.

You got lucky. The jog dial isn't waterproof.

A simple Google search will show many others have the same issue as 4 of my units. The only one that was working ok for me was stolen along with my old YBR 125...

Definitely some serious quality control issues...

A simple Google search will show many others have the same issue as 4 of my units. The only one that was working ok for me was stolen along with my old YBR 125...

I have watched a few reviews on the sena. They all say it isn't waterproof but they have never had any issues riding in the rain :S

I have watched a few reviews on the sena. They all say it isn't waterproof but they have never had any issues riding in the rain :S

Must not have any issues then... Buy one to test it ;)

Haha im not buying anything if there is a chance im wasting 300 quid :P Currently use the interphone fm4c i think, cant seem to get music playing whilst using intercom but rest seems to work ok

Haha im not buying anything if there is a chance im wasting 300 quid :P Currently use the interphone fm4c i think, cant seem to get music playing whilst using intercom but rest seems to work ok

You'll be trying forever since it doesn't have that feature lol

• 4 weeks later...