Vision Problems

I've had a HJC IS-Max helmet for many years which was brilliant, but due to its age I bought a new HJC IS-Max II a few months ago. The first time I rode it the visor fogged up so badly that I barely found my way home. Quite shocking, especially in comparison with the old helmet which never did that - I had no idea foggy visors were a thing until then.

So I took it back to the shop where they said that it needs an extra lens (forgot the technical term now) fitting to the inside of the visor, at a cost of £ 40. I wasn't too happy about that (more than anything the fact that you spend good money on a product that's basically useless until it gets an extra part fitted) and in the end walked out with a little bottle containing a chemical that is supposed to reduce the fog on the visor. They applied it while I was in the shop, it helped a little bit (not a great deal to be fair) but due to the recent dry weather I almost forgot about the issue - until just now, when I rode home at night and discovered the lights of the oncoming traffic create really bad reflections on the visor (quite psychedelic, but far from ideal) which probably has to do with said anti-fog product.

I'm starting to realize that maybe I should just cough up for the extra part on the visor, although it does wind me up a bit - or am I being extremely thick and missing something else completely ?

I have the IS Max II helmet too, but mine came with the Pinlock insert included. Bought it from J&S back in November, but don't know if that's standard. Perhaps worth checking with the shop and seeing if it was just missed out?

However, having ridden with the Pinlock, I wouldn't be without it now. Have never had any issue with the visor steaming up at all.

Glasses, however, are a different matter! :lol:

do you have little plastic pins on the inside of your visor on either side? if so you you can buy a pinlock and fit it yourself very easily (they are helmet specific)

I have one on my lid and it is amazing so would recommend the outlay :thumb:

The ads for this helmet just say Pinlock ready / prepared. doesn't say it is supplied unlike some other HJC adverts.

Definitely go for the PINLOCK.

I got back into bikes 3 years ago, I bought an IXS 580 helmet it came with pinlock visor, it also has flip down dark visor.

Last time I was riding bikes was back in the early 90's, always had problems with visor misting up.

The staff at J&S recomended getting PINLOCK, I was failry happy with the IXS but did think the PINLOCK visor restricted vision slighly.

I have just replaced it with a Shark Sqwal LED, again it has PINLOCK & flip down dark visor. Th ebig plus is the PINLOCK is a better fit, it is almost as large as the opening, so field of vision is much better then the IXS.

I have never had a problem with visor misting with the pinlock, thooughly recommend them.

Another for pinlock, is a must. Paid around £20 for mine. Worth every penny. Has SPF 50 protection too I believe :D

ohhhh I've just seen that ProtecTINT insert....bit steep but I reckon i'll get that next time.