Navigation

Im trying to plan a route down to Brighton for Saturday. Obviously i want to avoid motorways and dual carriageways as much as i can.

Google maps on the iPhone loves routing via A roads and unless you input waypoints (which you cannot save) you have to spend at least 15 minutes trial and error plotting a course.

Copilot is even worse and has been deleted

Can anyone recommend any other replica iPhone apps that can easily be plotted and followed?

From Croydon, B275, Old Farleigh Road, Farleigh Road, Sunny Bank, B269, B2026, A22, A26, A259.

Or from the B2026 take the B2028, B2112, B2116, B2117, A281, Saddlescombe Road, Devil's Dyke Road, Dyke Road.

It depends where in London you are coming from, and how leisurely you want to get there. But in my opinion the two nicest ways to arrive in Brighton are the A259 along the coast from Newhaven or crossing the South Downs using Saddlescombe Road / Devil's Dyke Road.

And the B269 is one of the nicest way to head due straight south out of London, going up and over the North Downs, as the other main routes out are the A22, A23, A217, or A24.

I have my own tool to manually create GPX files, and then just use the Runtastic app to follow them on my phone. Not the greatest solution as it is not a proper GPS, but I cannot find a decent iPhone app which lets you use your own GPX files.

They all seem to want to just use waypoints so they can adjust to the best route as you go along. Which is great if you just want to go from A to B but I wan to follow a specific route.

CoPilot used to have a feature that allowed you to drag the route to where you wanted it to go through.....but the latest version has dropped that, which is really annoying..... :roll:

Spend 15 minutes getting to know copilot. It's great.

If you want good settings for biking...

Motorways - strongly avoid

Dual carriageways - strongly avoid

Primary roads - neutral

Secondary roads - strongly favour

Local streets - strongly avoid.

That should route you around the twisties :)

Spend 15 minutes getting to know copilot. It's great.

If you want good settings for biking...

Motorways - strongly avoid

Dual carriageways - strongly avoid

Primary roads - neutral

Secondary roads - strongly favour

Local streets - strongly avoid.

That should route you around the twisties :)

Brilliant

Those settings have finally worked and now give me B roads.

Jus a few tweaks to route via ditching beacon and rotting dean

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I’m a bit surprised no-one else has mentioned www.myrouteapp.com

Originally it was “Tyre”, but has been enhanced to be an on-line application. The basic version is free (though you do have to register). It’s a bit complicated to use, but enables you to plot a route using Google Maps using as many waypoints as you wish. When complete it can be saved as a .gpx file, which can then be downloaded to you Sat Nav. (I use TomTom but it works with others.

One of the nice features is, being web based, you can save the route so that it can be shared with others. There are a couple of points to be aware of tho’;

You have to be VERY accurate with the waypoints. Put one on a farm track 50ft from the road (I did) and it will take you down the track to get to it! The mate following me on a ZZR was not impressed when we went off-road :D

You can’t change the route and then go back to it – it will want you to start again.

Other than that I’ve found no real fault with it – other than the complexity of learning to use it in the first place.

I’m a bit surprised no-one else has mentioned www.myrouteapp.com

You have to be VERY accurate with the waypoints.

I thought I had but it turns out I had not :lol:

And yeah zoom ALL the way in to check the way points! Also if you use co-pilot set the maps to HERE to make the conversion (theoretically) more accurate

[mention]Stu[/mention] you get discount on being a gold member on myrouteapp if you used tyre so I think they are linked somehow and maybe tyre is getting phased out?

Tomtom app on phone...

Use Mydrive to create the route (it does round trip as well)....

Sends it too phone, follow route. Seem to route intelligently.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=51.15867,-0.15931,9+routes=%7B%22roundTrip%22:true,%22departure%22:true,%22traffic%22:true,%22hilliness%22:%22LOW%22,%22windingness%22:%22NORMAL%22,%22routeType%22:%22THRILLING%22,%22travelMode%22:%22CAR%22,%22points%22:%5B%22hw~51.50015,-0.12618%22,%22hw~50.81951,-0.13643%22%5D%7D+ver=2

On your phone you can choose windiest route or fastest on line you can have windy and hilly or not so windy etc.... You can also add intermediate waypoints etc etc

I am now at stage I trust it to give a good round trip route all I have to do is decided how long I want to take to do it form fastest to oh twice as long but twisty :D :D

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

I have had some cracking rides from it, am often even late home with big smile so would recommend...